Author Topic: sudden rage syndrome  (Read 6829 times)

ziggy

sudden rage syndrome
« on: March 08, 2004, 03:35:26 PM »
hi,, can i first please say this is a wonderful site for cocker lovers everyone is very helpful,it,s my day off today so i can write all day ha ha ,,
does anyone know if this syndrome is still as common as it used to be in solids,i have a solid black but apparently it,s the golds that are worse,any tips on what you have to look for would be gratefully recieved,,thanx,ziggy :wink:                    

ziggy

sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 04:04:50 PM »
the reason iask is because jasper can get very aggressive for no reason he will display such frightening behaviour and i,m really worried,he chased some one out of the shop the other day,that,s when i took him to the vets and they recommended the diffuser,,i would be heartbroken if i ever had a major problem with him he is lovely most of the time                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 04:09:28 PM »
Have a look at this site - it should give you all the information you need

http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 04:12:02 PM »
This subject has come up many times before Ziggy - here is a recent thread: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=4006 If you are worried about your dog's aggression, then you need to consult an experienced, reputable behaviorist (ask your vet for a referral).                    
Jane

ziggy

sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 04:29:25 PM »
thanx for the web address gill much appreciated ,,thanx jane                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 11:43:59 PM »
Sorry to read about Jasper, Ziggy. Has he seen a behaviourist? Has he been neuteured? I was reading recently about a condition called hypothyroidism that can cause aggression, has your vet suggested testing for this or any other physical problems that could be contributing to it?
I don't think rage is "worse" in golden cockers, I think it's just a bit more common in goldens than it is in blacks. Which part of Birmingham do you live in? Just wondering as I live in Birmingham too and I know of a really good behaviourist who used to work with my sister-in-law (she's a vet nurse).
Kelly x                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 11:51:56 PM »
I was reading recently about a condition called hypothyroidism that can cause aggression, has your vet suggested testing for this or any other physical problems that could be contributing to it?
Kelly x

Hypothyroidism would be quite unlikely in a young Cocker - it's fairly common in middle-aged Cockers and is quite easily treated but there are usually physical symptoms too such as weight gain, lethargy, skin trouble and/or hair loss. Our old Daisy (who died last year) was hypothyroid but her symptoms were controlled with daily medication (not that she was ever aggressive thankfully :)                    
Jane

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 11:58:37 PM »
I didn't realise it was associated with older dogs. Are there any other physical problems that can lead to aggressive behaviour? Just wondering as that was the first condition I'd read about that can cause temperament changes, but I presume there must be other causes?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 12:10:52 AM »
I have heard of brain tumours causing aggressive behaviour in dogs - I'm sure there are other physical causes too but that's the one that immediately springs to my mind.                    
Jane

ziggy

sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 07:18:28 PM »
thanx for the info,i have been to the vets with him and he suggested the diffuser for the time being,he has improved,the vet said he has probably inherited it from his mother,,hopefully i won,t have to worry too much,although he also said that jasper had a dis located back leg,he does limp from time to time,and sometimes yelps for no reason,so maybe he gets more aggressive when he,s in pain,will have to check it out further,thanx again for all yor info,,by the way kelly,i live in kings heath m8,,
ziggy xx                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 09:55:13 PM »
he also said that jasper had a dis located back leg,he does limp from time to time,and sometimes yelps for no reason,so maybe he gets more aggressive when he,s in pain,

I would think that's a distinct possibility Ziggy - pain can cause a dog to behave aggressively. Has your vet not suggested any treatment for the leg problem? It sounds like Jasper has a slipping patella unless you mean he has Hip Dysplasia - both can be very painful conditions.                    
Jane

ziggy

sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 10:08:17 PM »
thanx jane,,to be honest he said to just keep an eye on him,as he may have to have  surgery in the future,but to be honest i don,t know how long you can keep an eye on something you know nothing about so maybe i should change my vet,he didnt suggest any tests etc,,what do you think??                    

ziggy

sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 10:11:41 PM »
p.s. jane,no he didn,t say it was hip d. just that his leg pops out it,s socket he moved his back leg around and noticed it,he said it was very common in spaniels,is this true :(                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 10:14:33 PM »
thanx jane,,to be honest he said to just keep an eye on him,as he may have to have  surgery in the future,but to be honest i don,t know how long you can keep an eye on something you know nothing about so maybe i should change my vet,he didnt suggest any tests etc,,what do you think??

Surgery is sometimes needed for slipping kneecaps and for Hip Dysplasia so I wouldn't really like to say. Sounds like you need to ask your vet to explain things a bit more fully or find a vet who will do this if yours won't :wink:                    
Jane

ziggy

sudden rage syndrome
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 10:20:08 PM »
will do jane thanx for the advice,will keep you posted ,ziggy x