Author Topic: Will things change?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline RisbyFynn

• Site Member
Will things change?
« on: April 03, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »
Hi,

Fynn is nearly 8 months old (worker x show) and I'm struggling.  Some of you remember me despertatly seeking someone to look after him when I'm in work, put loads of adverts up and had a few weirdo's  ph34r phone, who I didn't trust even on the phone, never mind with my dog.  But one elderly lady has called and said she's happy to meet with us, hoping to do so tomorrow, she's willing to have him 2 days a week.  But I'm worried he's going to be too much for her, as honestly he's too much for.  We successful passed our puppy class, but he's getting worse.  No matter what I do with him it never seems enough.  Today he been on the long line (as recall none exisitant since 6mths) playing fetch for 30mins, we've done some training and played out the garden (i'm ment to be on study leave).  I'm worried that when I go to work full time in the summer he is going to have a horrible life and be frustrated, I hate myself.  Seriously thinking about rehoming him, if I could have a quarentee that he would go some place better, where he'd be more active with a nice family, I'd let him go for his own sake.  Its hurting me and my husband to see him suffer.  Fynn appears happy in himself, and my OH says he has a better life than any dog he's meet, but I think he deserves more.  I feel sick as don't know what to do for the best.  Had to get that out, before I spent the rest of the day stewing.  THanks in advance.  Lou

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: Will things change?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:12:33 PM »
Hi Lou

Im sorry to hear you're having such problems.

First of all I would look at what you are feeding him. Some foods contain all sorts of additives that can send our dogs absolutely doolally.

Secondly he is 8 months old and is hitting the awful teenage months which really can be quite testing. I think an awful lot of dogs get rehomed at this age because they can become quite a handful.

I can't remember where you said you were based?

How much exercise does he get on a daily basis and what kind of training do you do with him on a daily basis?

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline RisbyFynn

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
Hi Caroline,

Yip I knew he was getting into the teenage years the day after he turned six months, until then his recal and fetching toys/ball back was great.  Training hime with things like down, roll over, sit-down-stand, stay in sit, stay in down etc.  At pup class trainer showed me how to make Fynn tierd through the mental stimulation and it does appear to work.  He's also been on his new food for approx 3 months as the last food made him more hyperactive, now on a complete meal, hounda, which I think is natural.  We live in merthyr tydfil, south wales, where's there's no day care or walkers, so i'm hoping for success when I meet the provsional sitter tomorrow.  DO you know when teenager phase will pass as I've heard mixed reports.
Thansk Lou

Offline Aggie

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »
Hi

Just wanted to say that I am sorry things are tricky at the moment. If I hear of anything in your area I'll let you know.

Stay positive, a solution will be found.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
I have never heard of Hounda. However someone else may have and be able to comment on it.  :huh:

The teenage period can vary in length but I would say that my dog was exhibiting typical teenage behaviour up until around 18 months of age. However Hurley is 100% show type and doesnt have any worker in him at all. It may be that it is in your dogs genetic makeup to be 'on the go' all day long.

I would suggest that you keep going with the mental training - if you can try clicker training and get some books off amazon that will show you which ones are good to teach tricks. Im sure someone else will be able to tell you what books to use.

How's the recall training - TBH with Hurley it only really 'clicked' when we started using a whistle. Have you tried that??? What rewards are you using for recall/long line training?

Best of luck with the petsitters tomorrow - keep us updated.

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »
I feel for you, but please dont give up on him, for your sake. I went through the same thing with Lucy and there were nights i cried in my OH arms like a baby cuz i couldnt cope with her, she nearly drove me nuts, but we stuck at it, my work hours changed aswell, i was working just two mornings per week 3 hours at a time, two weeks after we had her it went to five morning per week for 5 hours at a time, (though im lucky i can pop home) for an hour, she came out the other end no worse for wear, and im so glad i never gave up, she has rewarded be twofold since :luv: she can still be a  >:D at times mind, and sometimes i could still scream, i did change her food to JWB she now been on it a month and already she has calmed down, no more pacing up and down whining all evening, quite happy to sit with us and watch t.v :005: (well watch us eat anyway!!! :005:

I hope you can find a sitter to ease your concern, and im sure things will work out, stay positive and follow your heart  :luv:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 08:58:29 PM »
Hi Caroline,

Yip I knew he was getting into the teenage years the day after he turned six months, until then his recal and fetching toys/ball back was great.  Training hime with things like down, roll over, sit-down-stand, stay in sit, stay in down etc.  At pup class trainer showed me how to make Fynn tierd through the mental stimulation and it does appear to work.  He's also been on his new food for approx 3 months as the last food made him more hyperactive, now on a complete meal, hounda, which I think is natural.  We live in merthyr tydfil, south wales, where's there's no day care or walkers, so i'm hoping for success when I meet the provsional sitter tomorrow.  DO you know when teenager phase will pass as I've heard mixed reports.
Thansk Lou

Do you also work in Merthyr --- if you don't then what about looking for day care nearer to where you work (I know someone who lived in Ebbw Vale and worked in Cardiff so brought their dog to Cardiff every day to be looked after).

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 09:24:34 PM »
I could cry with you  :'(  I really thought I'd made a huge mistake in getting Ben.  He was so active, naughty, frustrating and a right pain to live with.  I spent many an evening in tears with this 'awful' pup. 

Ben is now nearing 3yrs and has settled amazingly well - we've adjusted to each other over the puppy and teenage period.  My life has changed - no doubt about that - but I wouldn't be without him  :luv:

I really hope that things look up as he grows  :-*

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 09:25:38 PM »
Sorry to hear you are having a rubbish time. We are also going through 'the phase' with Milo and I agree it is such  hard work! Milo has been a nightmare but I am slowly starting to see some positive changes (he is 11 1/2 months). Its differnt for everyone but please don't be too disheartened, it will get better xxxx
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x