Author Topic: my boy and a new rescue dog  (Read 3246 times)

Offline PennyB

my boy and a new rescue dog
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 10:38:26 PM »
Sadly no. Have seen on a number of occasions on dogpages (http://www.dogpages.org.uk) where people have taken their dogs back (and claimed it was their word against the other), which is why rescues get people to sign them over.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

ziggy

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 10:46:13 PM »
so what you are all saying is,, that i should get the chap to sign the dog over to me,,if that is the case then i will do it ,,i,m not happy about it,because he was such a pig with the dog,,and it,s so unfair,but i can see the point,it doeas protect the dog in the long run,,i think he won,t bother know,as i have told him no way is he taking her back,,so what happens if he tries the same thing in two months time??will that make a difference?                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2004, 12:45:40 AM »
I'm not sure how the law stands on this, as I've read something about a "reasonable amount of time" on dogpages which suggests that legally after a certain amount of time has lapsed and the owner has not filed a report with the police etc the dog would be legally yours. It's worth contacting a rescue and asking if they know how the law stands as presumably they deal with this  :?
Hope it works out, are you keeping the dog? I got confused and thought you were rehoming it to someone else, ignore me  :lol:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2004, 09:03:31 AM »
Hi I came across a canine law section, on another site, it may help you!

http://k9media.net/dogchat/viewtopic.php?t...7875994c6407cdf

Edited to say...... It makes very interesting reading on a whole host of issues :roll:                    

ziggy

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 08:33:54 PM »
hi all the westie (harry) as she is now called,has settled well,but wait,,,,the original owner who gave her away without a pause,,contacted the new owner (after 2 weeks) and said again he wanted her back,well the new owner said no way is she going back,and no way would he give her up(good for him) :wink: so he started to threaten him that he would find her and just take her :cry: the new owner then proceeded to tell the old one!! that he didn,t look after her  and that she is happy now,so far no news,i know i should have taken everyone,s advice on getting her sighned over but the outcome would not have been in the dogs best interest,i believe i have done the right thing,,i am now dealing with the old one,because the new one is happy,,as is the dog (harry) :wink:                    

Offline Hel

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2004, 06:39:55 PM »
I would advise the new owners to stand their ground.  

The police will not be interested - the old owner give her away (presumably there are witnesses), therefore there is no question of theft.  It is a civil manner.  The old owner will have to go to court to reclaim the dog - I doubt he will do this.  He also has a good chance of losing if he does go to court.

If the old owner continues to harrass the new owner, they should keep detailed notes of all phone calls and complain to the police themselves.                    

ziggy

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004, 08:20:03 PM »
cheers hel,just the boost i needed,haven,t heard any news of the old one,,new one has got his teeth firmly gripped and won,t let go!!looks like the poor dog will be able to stay with new one ,,yipeee