Author Topic: BARF v's JWB  (Read 3777 times)

Offline SJP

• Site Member
Re: BARF v's JWB
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 09:21:27 PM »
One of the reasons I feed a mixed BARF/kibble diet is that it gives me reassurance that my dogs are getting the nutrition they need from the kibble, even if I don't quite get the BARF right  ;)

Ditto.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline mezzamo

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 10:31:07 PM »
One of the reasons I feed a mixed BARF/kibble diet is that it gives me reassurance that my dogs are getting the nutrition they need from the kibble, even if I don't quite get the BARF right  ;)

Ditto.

Same here, I have only recently changed to a part Barf diet as was concerned that I would not be providing the full amount of nutrients, also my freezer was not quite big enough for a full Barf diet. Maybe once I have got my head around Barf more fully and invest in a larger freezer I may change to a full Barf diet..I know Romey would certainly enjoy that.
Mary, Tony & Romeo XXX

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »

Ditto.

And same for me too. Mine are on half Arden Grange and half raw meaty bones. I did have Alfie on a full barf diet for a while but changed him back to half and half for various reasons, this being one of them.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline LesleyW

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »
if you've weaned a child, you'll manage with the dog!  Just think "variety", that way he will get everything he needs over a wide space of time - you'll see lots and lots of benefits too!

I only feed BARF, Bracken has never had "dog food" or kibble since she set foot in the house last July.  I'm confident that she gets all she needs through the diet. 

I have just helped my retired aunt get her yorkie onto BARF and she is ringing me every few days to tell me how well he is doing on it! :D  His breath, wind problems and poo problems have all improved dramatically.

Go for it - you know it makes sense!  ;)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 09:54:57 AM »
Yes im definitely going to do the switch - just putting it on hold at the moment with charleys health.  Hopefully il be back in a few weeks to mither some more over chicken wings etc  :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline mac

• Site Member
  • fuse
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 01:09:27 AM »
i didn't like the idea of raw food at first .  i have always had collies and they were fed dry food, but fuse has had trouble with anal galnds since he has gone 1/2 and 1/2 he has improved his teeth are great as well. he l;oves raw chicken wings dones and tripe.  i don't like tripe smell is yuk..... he gets a bit of jwb for breakkie and raw for tea.  if found if i fed him at tea time he didn't always eat it so i split the meals he get a raw eye 2 x a week.  and i was amazed when i read people gave the cockers eggs with shells on.... i tried it and he loves it ..... also gave him a bit of raw rabbbit which he butcher had he loves it bones and all..... im a raw cvonvert after all if the dogs were hunting they would take the game raw feathers and all ...... im a raw convert thanks to COL
love from fuse and lisa and now adding little sox

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 02:46:34 PM »
Well iv just called in to my local (may i say friendly butchers) and told them of my plans.  They said they could supply me with bones etc for Charley - and gave me some lamb ribs, as they close for holidays today for 2 weeks.  So iv said il prepare a list of what kinds of bones etc id be needing on a weekly basis for them to save for me.  Only thing is - im a bit unsure myself - i know that no weight baring bones, which they laughed at me when i called them arms and legs!  :005:

Do you think i should give Charley one of these ribs as a treat for being a poorly boy??  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Too late, iv given him one - now im following him round panicking, hes made a little yelpy kinda noise a few times.  But why is he running away from me with it??? He wont come anywhere near me at all!  :'(

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »

Too late, iv given him one - now im following him round panicking, hes made a little yelpy kinda noise a few times.  But why is he running away from me with it??? He wont come anywhere near me at all!  :'(

He's probably worried you're going to take it off him!!!  :005:  Seriously, though, it is a sign he is liking what he's got and isn't going to risk having it taken off him!
I wouldn't worry about whines (unless he is in pain) - Honey often whines with excitement!!!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »
He came and sat by my feet a bit later.  Well once there was no meat left on it  :005: Is he supposed to eat everything, bone and all?? Because hes just eaten the meat crunched the bone then left it outside!

REUBY DOOO!

Offline djangonut

• Limited Member
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 10:27:57 PM »
I once went to a breed club seminar.  The morning was led by a highly qualified vet from a Scottish university talking about lymphoma.  The afternoon was led by an enthusiastic springer man throwing chicken wings to his three canine helpers, and extolling the virtues of BARF.

In the question and answer session later, the Scottish vet was asked what he thought of the BARF diet.  He replied that the dog food manufacturers thoroughly research what suits dogs best,  and what the exact dietary needs of dogs are.  He had a healthy eighteen year old terrier at home fed exclusively on kibble.  He said that he would not feed a BARF diet.

For more than a dozen years now I have fed all my dogs on Nutro, an imported manufactured dog food,  and little else.  Whilst the average lifespan of water spaniels is about eight years,  I have one still working on shoots in his twelfth year, and winning veteran in breed at Crufts this year.  I have just lost a cocker at almost fifteen years,  and her two eleven year daughters are hale and hearty.

I shall be sticking to Nutro, especially as thirty years ago I chopped the top of my thumb off, by hacking breast of lamb into inch square pieces for the dogs,  even before the term BARF was invented!

John

Cazzie

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 10:36:10 PM »

I

Im the same  :D Goose my runny bummy baby has never looked back with part Barf/kibble ive been extremely impressed  :blink:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 11:25:03 PM »
I once went to a breed club seminar.  The morning was led by a highly qualified vet from a Scottish university talking about lymphoma.  The afternoon was led by an enthusiastic springer man throwing chicken wings to his three canine helpers, and extolling the virtues of BARF.

In the question and answer session later, the Scottish vet was asked what he thought of the BARF diet.  He replied that the dog food manufacturers thoroughly research what suits dogs best,  and what the exact dietary needs of dogs are.  He had a healthy eighteen year old terrier at home fed exclusively on kibble.  He said that he would not feed a BARF diet.

For more than a dozen years now I have fed all my dogs on Nutro, an imported manufactured dog food,  and little else.  Whilst the average lifespan of water spaniels is about eight years,  I have one still working on shoots in his twelfth year, and winning veteran in breed at Crufts this year.  I have just lost a cocker at almost fifteen years,  and her two eleven year daughters are hale and hearty.

I shall be sticking to Nutro, especially as thirty years ago I chopped the top of my thumb off, by hacking breast of lamb into inch square pieces for the dogs,  even before the term BARF was invented!

John

I think this debate could go on forever as to what they should eat. I just know that i cant stand to look my dog in the eyes while he crunches them pale looking buscuits while i sit and eat my toast and jam in a morning, or when the family are sitting eating grilled chicken in an evening - giving him a bit of variety for his meals cant be such a bad thing?  Although i do understand the dietary needs, but if im giving my dog good food that he built to eat and enjoys and thrives off, il be less inclined to offer him titbits in sympathy, thus keeping him a little healthier. 

REUBY DOOO!

Cazzie

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 11:28:45 PM »

John

I sliced the top off my thumb 30 years ago after opening a tin of winalot wet stinky meat whilst feeding my mums dogs  :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 11:31:14 PM »

John

I sliced the top off my thumb 30 years ago after opening a tin of winalot wet stinky meat whilst feeding my mums dogs  :005:

:005: :005:silly  :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 12:00:30 AM »

John

There have been many a debate on the pro's and con's of feeding BARF and many other commercial foods come to think of it. Rather than have yet another one it might be worth doing a search for other BARF threads for those interested reading more.

Everyone has there own ideas and opinions on what they want to feed their dogs. There are many, many options from commercial foods, dry and wet, to home cooked food and BARF is just another option for people to look in to and decide to give it a go or disregard it.

There have been many accounts in the past of dogs with health problems that traditional food didn't help yet BARF turned the dog around. There are also dogs that tried BARF and it didn't suit them.

Each to their own.  ;)

Is he supposed to eat everything, bone and all?? Because hes just eaten the meat crunched the bone then left it outside!

Yes he is supposed to eat it all! But that will come in time.  ;) It took my Golden Retriever 50 minutes to eat 1 chicken wing for the first few meals and he was an adult! They all eat their bones differently too. My Lab virtually inhales them, has a few crunches and they're gone. My American Cocker strips all the meat off a rib bones, then "plays" with it a bit before eventually eating the bone.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)