Author Topic: Hey - New to this and some serious advice needed.  (Read 4787 times)

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Re: Hey - New to this and some serious advice needed.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 03:48:26 PM »
How long would the puppy be left for?

A puppy is hard work and needs to be corrected from right to wrong but it will be alot harder to do that if you are not there.

So if we were both working full time and the dog was in the house what would likely to happen? Im sorry if I'm being silly here I just want to make sure I get this absolutley right before making an decisions.

You might get a vocal puppy that doesn't like being left alone.
A long time ago when we had a Collie we had to re-home him because our neighbours complained about him howling whilst he was on his own

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Re: Advice Please
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »
We work and have had 2 puppies (both are now almost 5) but we didnt leave them for more than 4 hours a day!

We all changed our working patterns to accomodate this - we still won't leave them for more than 4 hours even now!!!

Dogs need company and to be kept busy - a bored dog will chew and cause destruction and re-direct its energy.....cockers need stimulating - its not all about exercise but they need to training and things to do....awell as exercise!

Mine loves to play hide and seek games with toys and treats......we have taught various tricks aswell as the usual stuff like recall and obedence type stuff.

Janey

Offline ross0161

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 03:50:07 PM »
okay guys thanks for the response.

I think this has made my mind up ... we aint gonna be able to have a cocker pup  :'(

jarbaha

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 03:52:25 PM »
i personally would'nt recommend you getting a puppy while you are both in full time work, its not fair on a puppy to be left for any length of time, its not fair , you would'nt leave a baby all day while you went out to work, so why should it be any differnet for a puppy.
they are a huge responsibiltity, and commitment,they need love, time, patience, and be taught what to do, right from wrong, ect. a puppy could not hold its bladder until luchtime, more like about 40mins to an hour. toys alone will not keep a puppy occupied, have you got neighbours, how would they feel with a young puppy crying all day...

as for vet bills, how longs a piece of string, dogs go to vets for so many different things, vets also charge depending on were you live, monthly things would included, food, ear cleaner, flea treatments,ect.but pet insurance is a must, again depends on which insurance company you use, you pay for what you get , like everything in life.

as for your rabbits, an 8 week old puppy it would'nt be a major problem, as long as you introudced them, and also i would'nt leave them running around together... :shades:. you just have to be sensible.

i'm not having a go, in anyway, this is just my opinion, and i just don't think it fair, to get a puppy while you both went out to work, unless you have a family memember who would be willing to sit with puppy all day,while you were out at work, many reputable breeders,don't normally sell to people who are in full time work. and with being in work, you miss all the best part of owning a puppy, and the bonding process with your new addition.
its not just toilet training them, like i have said above, puppies need love, care, and someone around to teach them right from wrong, how would you feel, if after coming back from work, you found, mess ,wee, chewed furniture, ect, because the puppy was so stressed, with you being out all day.
please do think long and hard about getting your new addition.
and i wish you well with what ever you decide.
also welcome to col  :D. were all here to give you as much advise as we can.
terri

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »
There are ways around it - as others have said take some leave while the puppy is young, look into doggy day care etc. 

I think a majority of the owners lives here fit in around their dog's needs, and not the other way around.  I know my life certainly does   :005:
helen & jarvis x

Offline ross0161

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 03:54:09 PM »
Well I think my mind has been made up

Dont think we're going to be able to have this pup after all ... There is noway either of us can change shifts etc and to be honest I dont really fancy the pet care side of it.

But Thankyou all for your comments it has helped me made my decision alot easier.

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »
I work full time, but my gang are never left for more than 4 - 5 hours at a time. If I cant get home to them for lunch (as I have to work in other hospitals occasionally) then one of my work colleagues pops home to them for me.....I have a whole team of them on dog duties and even our receptionists OH goes up for his lunch too and I hardly know him!!! anyway,...rambling...... My world outside of work revolves completely around the dogs...possibly too much, but its how I like my life...just be prepared for the change.
As others have said vet bills will vary. Get insurance...and be prepared to have to pay at least your excess, if not the whole bill, before you can claim the money back.

I've always had   pet rabbits and the rabbits and dogs are friends....I would never leave them unattended together though, but my current rabbit isn't even bothered about other dogs checking her out  :shades:

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline ross0161

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 04:00:31 PM »
i personally would'nt recommend you getting a puppy while you are both in full time work, its not fair on a puppy to be left for any length of time, its not fair , you would'nt leave a baby all day while you went out to work, so why should it be any differnet for a puppy.
they are a huge responsibiltity, and commitment,they need love, time, patience, and be taught what to do, right from wrong, ect. a puppy could not hold its bladder until luchtime, more like about 40mins to an hour. toys alone will not keep a puppy occupied, have you got neighbours, how would they feel with a young puppy crying all day...

as for vet bills, how longs a piece of string, dogs go to vets for so many different things, vets also charge depending on were you live, monthly things would included, food, ear cleaner, flea treatments,ect.but pet insurance is a must, again depends on which insurance company you use, you pay for what you get , like everything in life.

as for your rabbits, an 8 week old puppy it would'nt be a major problem, as long as you introudced them, and also i would'nt leave them running around together... :shades:. you just have to be sensible.

i'm not having a go, in anyway, this is just my opinion, and i just don't think it fair, to get a puppy while you both went out to work, unless you have a family memember who would be willing to sit with puppy all day,while you were out at work, many reputable breeders,don't normally sell to people who are in full time work. and with being in work, you miss all the best part of owning a puppy, and the bonding process with your new addition.
its not just toilet training them, like i have said above, puppies need love, care, and someone around to teach them right from wrong, how would you feel, if after coming back from work, you found, mess ,wee, chewed furniture, ect, because the puppy was so stressed, with you being out all day.
please do think long and hard about getting your new addition.
and i wish you well with what ever you decide.
also welcome to col  :D. were all here to give you as much advise as we can.
terri

Terri

to be honest I think I have made up my mind on this one ... I dont think we will be getting the pup but i'm certainly glad i came on here first and got advice. At the end of the day I wasn't saying that I was going to leave the dog all day. I was just exploring all avenue and seeing what my options were.

Hopefully though I will stick around and still be able to see the joy a lot of you get out of your dogs.

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 04:03:16 PM »
well done you for looking into everything so thoroughly. :) a LOT of people would not be so considerate.
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 04:04:10 PM »
You can foster my Asbo Alfie on a bad day to get a taste of cocker heaven.  :lol2:

You sound like a fab prospective cocker owner due to your ability to put the needs of a pup before your own by coming to the decision you have. I hope in the future your circumstances will allow you to own one of this fab breed.  ;)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »
There are ways around it - as others have said take some leave while the puppy is young, look into doggy day care etc. 

I think a majority of the owners lives here fit in around their dog's needs, and not the other way around.  I know my life certainly does   :005:

I agree with Helen, however, I have a dog and I work full time. My OH works from home a couple of days a week but when Hurley was a puppy he used to go to doggy day care. I got my dogsitter's number from www.gumtree.com .

It is only in the last 6 months or so that we have let Hurley have the house to himself when we're not there. We have a dog flap so he can come in and out of the house as he pleases, however I wouldnt trust a puppy with one of these and Hurley has probably had access to the garden for the 9 months or so.

A bored or frustrated puppy or dog can cause an untold amount of damage from chewed carpets and floors to chewed plaster likewise a dog who is comfortable being left on his own will probably sleep the whole day.

I would say you could do it - its expensive but it can work out and my dog and our situation is testament to that. Gone are the days when I can spend what I want on myself - it all goes on Hurley these days, and any leftover money usually goes on the dog too  :lol2:

If you do decide to opt for a puppy the pararmount issue is to go for a breeder who breeds for a relaxed and independent type dog. the worst case scenario would be for you to get a worker who needs loads of mental and physical stimulation who suffers from Separation Anxiety!!!

There are lots of grown up dogs in rescue who would fare better during the day especially if they dont need housetraining as long as you can prove to the rescue that as full time workers you have made allowances for that in the form of a dog walker or a dogsitter
xxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 04:05:24 PM »
What about considering getting an older rescue dog. You may find that there are some that are happy to be left for the 3/4 hours in the morning and afternoon with a visit/ walk at lunchtime.

Posted sametime as Caroline  ;)
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

jarbaha

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 04:07:51 PM »
hi ross0161  :D
yes do stick around col,
i'm sure in time, your circumstances may change, and i'm sure you could offer a cocker a loving home,
never say never  ;)
terri
x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 04:12:48 PM »
I agree with the previous posts. If you wanted doggy company at weekends you could always volunteer to do dog walking at a local rescue centre. ;)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 04:13:56 PM »
well done you for looking into everything so thoroughly. :) a LOT of people would not be so considerate.

Absolutely, and definitely consider an older rescue cocker.
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx