Author Topic: Hey - New to this and some serious advice needed.  (Read 4788 times)

Offline ross0161

Re: Hey - New to this and some serious advice needed.
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 04:37:42 PM »
sorry to be a pain again ... would it be viable leaving a dog alone with the TV/Radio on? or is it the human contact which it thrives on?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 04:43:09 PM »
sorry to be a pain again ... would it be viable leaving a dog alone with the TV/Radio on? or is it the human contact which it thrives on?

whats your definition of alone as in time frame?

I think it's fair to say a lot of us have to leave our adult dogs for a number of hours a day....
helen & jarvis x

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »
Human contact. With a puppy that is left for that length of time there is a risk that it could develop behavioural issues such as seperation anxiety plus be destructive.

A friend of mines mum got a lab pup that she left with just a lunchtime visit. It destroyed two lots of lino floor, chewed all the skirting boards, destroyed a wooden stool and ate through the plasterboard wall to get through to a different room... and that's just the things she told me about  ;)

Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 04:53:36 PM »

The two threads have been merged now, hopefully it will all still make sense.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »
Def consider an older dog as well as looking at puppies but you may find rescues will not home to full time workers any more than some breeders would.

Do lots of homework about dogwalkers and doggy daycare and have arrangements lined up before you approach either source to reassure them of your commitment.  But day care or walkers will be costly 5 days a week.

Insurance is about £20 a month and doesn't cover routine stuff plus an excess means you will have costs even on a bigger bill.  Plus even with insurance, most vets will expect you to settle the bill then claim on insurance  :o

Our eldest dog Jasper was rehomed for a 3rd time in 9 months because the original 2 owners had un-realistic views on what it meant to have a dog.  We were also first time owners but anticipated a puppy might chew things - which he did, plaster off walls, tv aerials, printer cables etc etc. We soon learnt to give him a safe area during the time I was out (4 hours) and lots of exercise and better food helped a lot.  The middle pup never tried to chew, the third has even tried removing wall-paper in the kitchen and I was in  >:D

I always leave a radio on when I'm out but it's not the same as being there.  It does mask some un-expected sounds that might start them barking and upset the neighbours though...

We had a rabbit till last year, both cockers at the time ignored Smudge, but the terrier we were going to home before they came on the scene, would of ripped it to shreds if it got in..

With lots of comitment you could make it work, but heart, sole and money must be made available too.  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 06:16:44 PM »

I probably take a hard line on this, more so than a number of others, but leaving a dog alone at home all day is just not on.  Others have mentioned behavioural issues, and this should be considered.  As for leaving a puppy alone; well that doesn't bear thinking about.

Leaving the radio or tv on is not a solution.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »
Im not for one moment condoning getting a pup and then leaving it all day but some people do get puppies and work full time and they have a dog that grows up to be a well balanced, healthy, happy dog.

Regardless of if you work or not, all of us on here want the very best for our dog and for any person who is thinking of getting a beloved cocker pup.

Ross - depending on how much you are willing to put into your potential pup (both money and time) will determine how much you get out of it. If you can find doggy day care or a dog walker who can come in twice a day, or a friendly neighbour or family member who is willing to help you out almost every day then it is workable. Not every good dog owner is fortunate enough to be in a situation to not work. As I have mentioned before now my dog is grown up and can handle being left alone while I am at work, he is. He has access to the garden so he doesnt have to hold himself all day, I had to weigh up the costs and benefits of that access - in my eyes, his comfort outweighed the risk of him being stolen. I am a member of doglost and I am not naive enough to think 'not in my back yard' and if I lived somewhere dogs were stolen on a frequent basis I probably would not even consider it. My situation is not ideal - if I could change it then I would be at home every day with Hurley but I have a mortgage and bills to pay and mouths to feed, needs must I am afraid! the only alternative is that Hurley gets rehomed and to be honest putting him through the stress and upset of rehoming is not worth it when I know he's actually a happy chappie.

It is positive to see you asking the right questions before you consider getting a dog - some people are so blase about it - they think of getting a puppy Friday night and Saturday morning head down to Dogs R Us to pick one up! ::)
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »
I think you have come to the right decision maybe not for yourselves but for a potential dog anyway. When we got Elmo the only reason we could do it was because he could come to work with us, if we both worked full time in offices or whatever there would be no question, its just not fair. Dogs are social animals, just look at wild dogs.They cant interact with a TV/Radio and toys become pretty boring if there isnt a hooman on the end of it tugging or throwing it. So the pup will find something else to entertain itself....maybe electrical cables or expensive leather shoes will be a tasty snack one day. So then you have a behavioural problem on your hands, when are you going to have time to rehabilitate these problems and fix the things its chewed? Puppies take months and months to toilet train often reverting back to toileting indoors when they hit the teenage phase or if something upsets them......back to square one in toilet training again, letting it out every hour. Then theres basic training. This needs to be kept on top of every day and you would have a vry hyper pup if it only got on lead walks. They need mental stimulation as well as physical every day. Daycare is an option but the pup will still need to be around 16 weeks before it attends. So thats 8 weeks at home with you or your wife.

Stick around as maybe your circumstances will change in the future and by then you will know so much about cockers/training/feeding ;)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2008, 09:54:22 PM »
Hi there, I would agree that leaving a pup that long initially could give you probs, for a start would the breeder of said pup be happy to let you buy one if you are both full time workers  and have made no provisions for day time care (but reading thread this possibly won't be a prob?)

I too have a rabbit in an outside run, and introduced Smudge to him as an eight week pup, apart from about the first week when Smudge was besotted with him, I have had no problems ;) thankfully.

Obviously the vet bills and food etc do take a toll on the wallet - but what the pup will give you back in love and laughter will more than compensate for this me thinks :blink:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lopey99

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 09:43:30 AM »
Hi there, we have cassie just over two months now and got her when she was 8 weeks, my partner and i both work full time although luckily we have stage our hours so we're only out of the house for 6 hours with a lunch time visit and my partner only works 4 days. I know this isnt ideal but we cant afford to go part time and there isnt any care facilities in our area. I have been asking around about dog walkers and havent heard of any reputable ones but we are keeping an eye out, i want to be totally sure of someone before i hand the keys to my house and my dog over to them.

we took 3 weeks off when we brought cassie home and because we knew she was going to be on her own for a period of time each day we began training her to be by herself, gradually building up the time. i wont lie to you puppies are very hard work and there were times at the beginning i thought what have i done but once they settle they are a pleasure. Sure they chew at things and somehow manage to get at things you didn't think possible but we never blame her, she is an inquisitive puppy and we shouldn't leave things in her reach.

we give her a 20/25minute walk in mornings and same in evenings - we did realise we were walking her too much so we cut back giving 5 mins per month old. If we're not gonna be home for lunch i ask the lady next door to come in and let her run around the garden for awhile but i know she's not too fussed on doing it.

I have to agree with another poster on here you do have to make big changes, do not think i am patronising you, i had read so much about cocker's and puppies in general before i got cassie but nothing really prepares you. Luckily Cassie is one smart cookie, no behaviour issues and the trainer at puppy classes thinks she is fantastic, i have never seen a dog pick things up so quickly. It does break my heart to leave her but its a fact of life that you cannot bring your dog everywhere with you - if only you could life would be great so i do think it is important to teach your dog to have a certain level of independence.

When we do leave her the radio is on and she does have a lot of toys and chews and we try to think of little games like hiding toys and treats under things. She is in a large pen in the kitchen which also holds her crate although i know this wont hold her forever as soon enough she will need the run of the kitchen but it puts my mind at rest. 

my only real advice is to look at your lifestyle, will there be many evenings where you'll both be out? do you have time to train and walk everyday? i think only you will know the answer, i know my situation isnt ideal but for 3 days out of the week she is with us all day and to be honest when she is with us all day she seems to get grumpy that she hasn't had her rest or had her special treats. Whatever you decide goodluck with it, even tho I've made big changes to my life we love our puppy so much and our life revolves around her to the extend my friends think I'm mad.

keep us posted with your final decision and if you need any more information theres lots of help on here and although some people may be critical they are only offering their advice and experience - GOODLUCK!

Offline ross0161

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57:08 AM »
Well that last post has just made it 10 times harder for me to decide now. It has given me hope that we can do something to accomodate while we are at work.

God ... aren't some decisions so hard to make.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
Ross, I think you're doing the right thing researching this properly before diving in and you will obviously have read lots on this forum before posting so you will know to an extent the involvement we all have with our dogs.

Many people don't and it's why there are litterally 1000's of dogs in rescue centres across the UK and 1000's more healthy dogs destroyed every year as people underestimated what they were taking on and the dogs either become unwanted or develop behavioural problems. Dogs are extremely sociable animals - it's why as two different species we get on so well together. Humans love and need company and so do dogs. We both like interacting and playing and being busy. Puppies in particular need a lot of attention as they are just... babies/toddlers/young kids if you like. I agree that it's important to teach our dogs a level of Independence but working full time and asking them to occupy themselves on their own all day every day and then sleep all night, on their own is not really teaching independence IMO it's a little cruel and certainly not the sort of situation you or I would thrive in and therefore, neither will a dog.

When you work full time you need an outlet from work too - it's great to go out and have a drink or a meal in the evening, you'll need to do your shopping or get jobs done at a weekend and all this is also a factor in time alone for your dog. Cockers are active little souls who adore love and attention and activity - it is a life we're talking about not just an exercise companion or beautiful friend to admire. I've had three dogs now (two of them cockers and one other very active working breed) and I've also worked partime in an office while I had one of them (I now work from home or take my dogs with me) even working part time for 3 days a week and going home every lunch time for an hour I knew my dog wasn't happy with this. I knew I only had to do it for a limited period though so with help from neighbours etc we got through it. At the time though my dog was extremely needy and deep down I knew he was very unhappy although no lasting damage was done. If I was in the same situation again and knowing what I now know about dogs I'd use a daycare centre for them.

Of course it would be possible to fudge around having a puppy and working full time but in my opinion it's a very low quality of life for an animal that has been bred for companionship and working with humans. My dogs will occasionally spend 6 hours alone if we go out for a day for example and they're ok with it - but that's because it's rare. I would never consider leaving them (even as well trained adults) alone for 8-9 hours a day 5 days a week... every week.

I've given you view which probably sounds very harsh, but you've been very decent and laid your cards on the table so as mean spirited as I may sound, you deserve an honest answer. IMO now is not the right time for you and your partner to have a puppy - but that doesn't meant that your circumstances won't change in the future and you can't reconsider it then. With the thought and consideration that you are giving this you sound like you would be great dog owners some day.

If you were prepared to consider some kind of day care or dog walking then I would support you in that with your current circumstances but it would be very costly for you.

I wish you lots of luck and hope very much that you have the right situation one day to fit a dog into your lives.

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Elmo

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
excellent reply Trevor ;)

Just to add just because some people do leave there dogs alone for long periods and the dogs cope with it and they may even get away with the dog not chewing/barking etc DOESNT mean its right or that the dog is happy with the situation. Chances are the dog doesnt know any different but thats not the situation the dog would choose if it had a choice :-\

I am currently seeking employment after working 6 years in my OH company. I am having to go part time as consider Elmo's needs greater than my own.

Offline charliesdad

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 01:28:57 PM »
...I miss the cinema :'( haven't been since we've had Charlie and he's 18 months now!...Saturday we can have a couple of pints in town aslong as he's got a pig's ear to keep him occupied at home, never more than 2 though as I think we miss his company as much!  We're lucky as we have a great dog friendly local where we go for a (another!) couple of pints after Friday eve walkies...the barmaid even bought him a Christmas pressie and we call the pub "Aunty ****" so he knows where he's going even so he get's bored after 2 pints- good for limiting the unit intake though!

Seriously, I wouldn't consider leaving him all day with a lunch time visit, it wouldn't be fair and he wouldn't stand for it-for a young pup you would give yourself (him/her) a very difficult time with house training and other training.  OH works from home so C has constant company and if we both have to be out he goes to his doggy hotel with a lovely lady and loads of friends, it's not cheap though but the savings made on cinema trips, clubbing etc....

It would be great if you would be able to take a couple of weeks of each so he's got a month or so with company and then wean him onto a dog carer/walker for the days when you're both working f/t but realistically if, like us, your jobs wouldn't stretch to what amounts to daily care I think you'd get as stressed as the dog leaving him alone all day with only a lunchtime visit.  Still as above some people make it work so if you've got dog mad (and cockers are infectious (in a good way)) friends who don't work full time maybe you could work something out? :D

Offline ross0161

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 04:39:59 PM »
okay so things have changed slightly ... we're going to ask my gf'd mum if she can walk it for an hour a day ... even if she can only do it 3 times a week we will get a dog walker for the other 2 days.

if this fails my gf can change shifts at work. so she wouldn't need to be in work until 12 and i would be home at half 4ish so that would be better hopefully.