Author Topic: Pedigree papers  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Tuuli

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« on: April 10, 2004, 03:44:41 PM »
:? How long does it usually take to get the Pedigree papers?  In the contract from the breeder it says " Pedigree papers to follow".  That is now 4 weeks ago.  Can anybody cast any light, please?  Should I get worried?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Pedigree papers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 04:14:08 PM »
Hi Tuuli

There is a difference between pedigree papers & the Kennel Club registration certificate. A pedigree certificate should be handed out to the buyer when the puppy is collected - most breeders either print their own using a PC or they hand-write them out (the pedigree being just the puppy's family tree). The Kennel Club registration certificate should be available  either when the puppy is collected or shortly afterwards - contrary to what some breeders say, the Kennel Club is now very quick to process registrations unless there is some kind of admin problem so you should not have to wait more than a couple of weeks. If you know the names of your puppy's parents (and the breeder's name of course), you can ring the KC & ask them to check whether registration has been applied for yet. If it has not, then you will need to contact the breeder again & ask why not. If the papers are still not forthcoming, you might need to contact Trading Standards but hopefully it will not come to this.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 04:18:34 PM »
As far as I know, there's no reason why the breeder couldn't have given you the pups pedigree when you picked the pup up.  It's the KC registration that can sometimes be delayed - in saying that, with both my pups I was given the pedigree, KC registartion and insurance documents when I went to pick each of them up, so I've no idea why some are forwarded later, someone else may be able to shed some light on it.  If it's the KC papers you are waiting for I'd think that a month would be long enough to give the breeder.  Have you contacted her/him since you picked up the pup, if not, I'd be inclined to give them a ring to hurry things along  :wink:   :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline shaz

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 05:00:20 PM »
hi tuuli

i can not understand why you did not get your pedigree and kc redg when you collected your puppy, i always redgister my pups at about 3 weeks old and the kennel club have always never took more than 2 weeks to return them. i would get in touch with the breeder and ask them if it is the kc redg that is been delayed, let us know how you get on.
sharon                    
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 06:25:50 PM »
Hi There

When we collected Jessie from the breeder we only got a receipt that said pedigree and kc papers to follow. It took over 6 weeks before they arrived...and we had to chase several times in this time. Jessies breeder had got the kennel club to print out her pedigree and she sent the reg document together with this. We were gettin v anxious but all was ok in the end!

Cheers Jane                    

Offline Tuuli

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 05:18:35 PM »
Hi all

I have tried to phone the breeder after I read your replies but there was no answers. Could be because of the holiday period.

I noticed, Speedyjaney, that you waited for 6 weeks for the papers.  Maybe I should be patient and phone after Easter.

Anyway, Bailey is doing fine and is asleep in the kitchen.  He had his first walkies yesterday.  Boy, wasn't his nose on ovedrive! The distance we walked was about quarter of a mile but as he was zig-zagging on the pavement he probably walked a mile!!  I think that I will take him to the obidience training where he will hopefully learn to walk straight.  But it was lovely!! He was interested in everything! How refreshing!! :D                    

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 06:39:04 PM »
Hi Tuuli

I bought my puppy in November last year, we were given his pedigree but no papers to say he had been registered with the KC.  Louis is 7 months now and he is still not registered.  Louis has been neutered, and when I saw the breeder last month she said it was pointless registering him as we couldn't breed from him.  I understand her point but still want him to be registered.  I sent her a letter asking her to go ahead, but as far as I know she hasn't registered any of the litter :cry:  :cry:
I don't really know what course of action to take now!
Apart from this Louis is a credit to the breeder, she produced a well balanced, happy cocker which I have the privledge of owning.  Hope you sort it out soon!!

Gemma and Louis                    

Offline Tuuli

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 08:47:03 AM »
Hi Louis

I wonder if it is a lot of trouble for a breeder to KC register the litter.  Why else would she not do it?  Unless, of course, she has had too many litters with the same bitch in which case KC might refuse to register.  I do not know.  It is like owing a car without all the necessary papers.  Well, not quite, but you know what I  mean.  I'd like to have Bailey's papers in order.  It would be nice to know his parents names etc.  Might see his brothers or sisters in one of the Club's meetings and without the paperes we would not know.  Not that I'm saying that owners carry the papers with them but the issue might pop up in a discussion.  

I will contact the breeder after Easter.

Cheerio!

Bailey & Tuuli                    

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 10:44:35 AM »
Maybe his parents aren't registered either, if so then he can't be either  :(

Were the pups sold as Kennel Club Registered?                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Pedigree papers
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 10:51:36 AM »
KC registration is something that you should get if that's what you were sold. If the breeder sold you your pup as KC reg'd or registration applied for then they don't follow through they in breach of the contract of sale and you should report them to trading standards. Having had a dog or bitch neutered is irrelevant. You don't KC register a dog only to allow it to be bred from.

Sometimes breeders can't be bothered with the paperwork, and of course it costs them money.

There is no harm at all in calling to chase it up. It is possible that they have gone away for easter but keep trying. If you can't get an answer by phone, drop them a line, keeping a copy for your own records, you never know if you may need it.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 11:00:28 AM »
I would echo Pammys comments!  If you were sold a car, you would expect to recive the log book :roll:   I would certainly chase this up even if you don't intend showing or breeding!  Its nice to have and its part of what you have paid for!!

Good luck with it                    

Offline kes_0

• Site Member
  • owner & breeder for 20+yrs now,still having fun!
Pedigree papers
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 06:17:09 PM »
Hi as a breeder this is what i do and i havent had any problems.
Normally at 7 weeks of age i send of the application form to the KC, i wait this length of time to ensure that all the pupies are healthy and ready to go to new homes.
The new owner is issued with the pedigree certificate which gives the details of mum and dad, date of birth, colour and sex, along with other relevant info that i think new puppy owners should have.
I explain that the paperwork will be sent as soon as it returns from the KC and normally i have not had to wait longer than 6weeks for the paperwork to come throu, in fact i would say that these days 4 weeks is about the norm. As soon as i recieve the paperwork it is then forwarded to the new owners and i follow this up with a telephone call to check that they have recieved the paperwork and it also gives me a chance to see if the puppy has settled in as well.
Hope this helps you, if you havent recieved it by 6 weeks after getting your puppy i would give a quick phone call to the breeder, it doesnt do any harm and you did buy a puppy in good faith as KC registered.

Bye Chris                    
Cockers r great to cuddle!

Kes_0

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Pedigree papers
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 06:58:38 PM »
These days the turnover for KC registrations is rarely more than 2 weeks - a delay of 4-6 weeks would be most unusual! My last litter registrations came back in just over a week although there might be a delay if names are unacceptable etc.                    
Jane

Offline Tuuli

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 07:16:25 PM »
:? Hi

I phoned the breeder and I was assured that the papers should come any day now.  Thank you all for your support and advise.  I'll keep you posted.

Bailey & Tuuli                    

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Pedigree papers
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 10:00:13 PM »
Hi

I'am glad to say that I have spoken to my breeder today and I have been assured that she has sent the registration off and then when they are returned to her she will post them to me :lol:   Louis is 7 months now, so it has taken quite a while, but it's turned out ok in the end :)

Gemma and Louis