Author Topic: Close call - and word of warning............  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Close call - and word of warning............
« on: April 12, 2004, 08:31:08 PM »
....... just experienced something that was nearly very nasty!!

Hub's n I have been out in the garden most of the day doing this n that. Having finished we sat down on one of our benches eating an icecream thinking how pleasant it was, listening to the birds singing, musing over what else we would do, water feature here, electric lights there, chimnea over thataway. You get the general picture.  8)  :)  :D

Jasper was playing with his ball and Buddy decided he wanted a cuddle. Nothing special about that other than he decided he would jump onto the bench. Prob was, he didn't make it and his front leg slipped  between the slats trapping it. He was squealing in pain Nige took his weight while I quickly lifted him up to free him. We were convinced he would break his leg, god knows how but fortunately he didn't. I really don't know how as he  is a stocky lad and all his weight was momentarily hanging on his leg which was trapped between the slats. :?  He is non the worse for his little adventure.

So my word of warning. If you have a garden bench with slats - please please watch for your dog jumping up thinking it's like a normal sofa. We had a very lucky and close escape. I'd hate it to happen to anyone else - with the worse result. :cry:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 08:43:57 PM »
:shock:  Oh Pam, that sounds horrendous!  Made me shiver reading it - it must have been really sore - he'll probably have bruising, poor wee soul  :(  What a good job you were both there.  It's good to hear that he seems okay despite his ordeal - even so, I'm sure he's getting some pampering tonight  :)

Thanks for the warning - we have a couple of these benches (think most folk with gardens will have them) and would never have thought of them as remotely dangerous - will keep a watchful eye from now on :?  :wink: .

Give Buddy a hug from us  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 08:59:54 PM »
:shock:  Oh Pam, that sounds horrendous!  Made me shiver reading it - it must have been really sore - he'll probably have bruising, poor wee soul  :(  What a good job you were both there.  It's good to hear that he seems okay despite his ordeal - even so, I'm sure he's getting some pampering tonight  :)

Thanks for the warning - we have a couple of these benches (think most folk with gardens will have them) and would never have thought of them as remotely dangerous - will keep a watchful eye from now on :?  :wink: .

Give Buddy a hug from us  :)

I'm amazed but he is as right as rain - not sore or anything. I expected him to be in considerable pain - as he is such a wimp too :wink: but it's like it never happened :?  phew!!!                    
Pam n the boys

Offline Hel

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 09:11:22 PM »

I'm amazed but he is as right as rain - not sore or anything. I expected him to be in considerable pain - as he is such a wimp too :wink: but it's like it never happened :?  phew!!!

They can be such prima donnas - or whatever the male version is!

Jamie once managed to trap a paw getting out of my car.  He screamed the place down, I took his weight and got the paw free in seconds.  After all the noise, I expected, at the least, a torn claw.  Not a thing - once released he bombed about without a care (or limp) in the world!                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 09:13:33 PM »
Thanks for the warning Pammy. Dallas loves climbing up on things so I'll have to keep an eye out for the benches :?  He did get his foot caught once when he was climbing up some cane furniture(as you do :roll:  :lol: ) and the whole of Dundee must have heard him :shock:  :oops:  Glad to hear Buddy was much more brave and that he's none the worse for his ordeal.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 09:27:24 PM »
:shock: Aww poor Buddy, glad hes ok :)

Thanks for the warning, its a good point, as cockers do tend to jump up on anything!                    

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 11:48:23 AM »
Thanks for the warning. I need to get some new garden furniture this year & was thinking of a wooden bench, won't get one now though.

I hope Buddy's OK now.                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 12:21:10 PM »
I wouldn;t let it stop you getting one - just be aware that's all.                    
Pam n the boys