Author Topic: Bark Control Collars  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Bark Control Collars
« on: April 13, 2004, 05:15:28 PM »
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience or views on this type of collar
http://www.easylifeonline.com/1153 as opposed to the Aboistop (spray) type.

I bought the Aboistop at Crufts and have had good results from it, and now a friend of mine is thinking of using a collar for her 2 cockers. The difference in price is considerable, but only if it works.

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 05:45:23 PM »
My friend bought two for hers.  they did work to a fashion to start with, in that they would make the dogs stop by getting their attention but after a couple of weeks she couldn't raise the volume any louder and they just ignored it, so i wouldn't waste your money.

I know that the Aboistop is expensive but it is the best.  My friend who bred Sasha has been using it for years with great sucess and now she only has to show them the coller and they all stop.  So i think that its the way to go, and when i've saved up enough money Sasha especially, is not going to know whats hit her nose :lol:                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 05:53:31 PM »
Thanks Torie,
I must admit I was a bit wary when the advert claimed that they can take up to 3-4 weeks to break the habit. :roll:  
Like your friend I only have to show my lot the Aboistop and 9/10 it has the desired effect. :D  :wink:                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 06:00:29 PM »
Can I ask if you bought the version which emits a spray? I am very tempted to get one for Boysie, but was unsure of which sort to get.                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 08:54:05 PM »
I've seen those advertised and wondered if they were any good :?  I've got a couple of aboistops and while it shuts Dallas up when he wears it in the house, it just doesn't have any effect outdoors so was looking for something else to try. Guess it won't be those ones :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 10:59:53 PM »
Is it me...or are alot of cockers "barkers"  :?:  Butty likes a good old bark now and then, well actually all the bloomin time  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:
I have to be honest though and say that it really doesn't bother me that much (i think I've zoned it out now  :wink: ) One thing though, we live on a "dog walkers" route, so constantly have people with dogs walking past and due to the fact that I have a very large and low picture window means she can quite easily sit and watch and bark at all and sundry at her leisure  :roll:  We also live opposite a field, and this week we've got cows (last week it was sheep) and the cows tend to hang their heads right over the fence and stare right in to the living room  :shock:  :shock: this of course sends Butty into a frenzy  :roll:  :evil:                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 09:01:36 AM »
I have the Aboistop and it works wonders :).
Maybe I am a very bad person and cruel mummy, but my lot isn't aloud to bark at all  :lol: .
I don't hate anything as much as constantly barking dogs.                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 09:01:39 AM »
Is it me...or are alot of cockers "barkers"  :?:  Butty likes a good old bark now and then, well actually all the bloomin time  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Gilly - I think cockers are a more vociferous breed than we realise. It was one of those things that became apparent to me after the event to to speak :wink:  I rememebr saying how Jasper seemed to bark a lot, and got the response - from a variety of Cockers sources "Well yes - Cockers do" :?

It can get a bit wearing sometimes :(  good job they've got such appealing faces :lol:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 09:08:42 AM »
I have to add one thing. In my opinion cockers aren't any more vociferous than some other breed. It's purely a matter of training. At least my lot shut up when told to (or when I show them the Aboistop collar  :lol: )..                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 09:10:58 AM »
Yep I think its safe to say that cockers do like the sound of their own voices, Laney likes to bark, woow, and howl  :?  She swears she can hear something, even if its 5 miles away :)

But i will tell you something......There is nowt so noisey as a welsh springer.  Sasha is our 2nd  and they have both been quite loud.  She tells you off for going out and leaving her, she shows of when you have taken her out :?  she whinges to herself when you cuddle her AND she whinges even louder when you don't :!:  :?  :!:

Talk about confusing signals :roll:                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 01:17:36 PM »
I got a bit of a surprise when we got Morgan as my previous dog was and Old English Sheepdog who barked about twice in his whole life  :) .

Morgan and Cooper are both very vocal.  Morgan doesn't bark outside really - saves it all for when we're settled down watching tv  :lol:
Before we got Cooper I always wondered what people meant when they said the cockers were awoo awooing - I know now  :roll:  - it's really cute  :D

I'm kind of used to the noise now and we've got no neighbours nearby so I've never considered one of these collars - they are expensive aren't they!                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 08:30:42 PM »
Would antibark collars work if you had two dogs?  I would guess that barking from one would set off the collars in both, especially if they dive down the garden together - sending out wrong messages to the one who wasn't barking at the time?                    

Offline LauraT

• Site Member
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 12:59:25 PM »
I'm new to this site. My parents have a lovely 18 month old cocker, Tia.

She's the first cocker they've ever had. Previously they've had a border collie and a border collie/labrador x.

She's a lovely dog, gentle, effection and she wants to be friends with everybody.

However since xmas (she was spayed in early december) she's started to bark everytime she goes out into the garden (especially at night).  We think she's probably seen a cat or a fox and is just annoucing her presence, but my parents are worried the neighbours might complain.

I've been wondering about the anti bark collers but they seem very expensive ( i saw a collar in selfridges and it was £90!). Any suggestions would be useful.                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 04:28:58 PM »
Hi Michael and welcome to COL  :D
The Aboistop collar is expensive but I would say 99% effective. I posted this topic to see if anyone had experience with the sonic collar, but as already mentioned I have my doubts over its effectiveness if it takes 3-4 weeks to have the desired effect.
It might be worth your parents approaching your local dog warden to see if they can hire a collar on a trial basis. At least then if it works you know it'll be money well spent. :wink:  :D                    

Offline kes_0

• Site Member
  • owner & breeder for 20+yrs now,still having fun!
Bark Control Collars
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 06:07:17 PM »
Hi
I have got an abiostop collar which did exactly what i wanted, however there can be one or two drawbacks esp if you have more than one dog as it can be set off my other dogs barking. The other drawback depends on how smart your dog is, mine soon sussed out that when the collar was off he could bark as much as he wanted to!
Another wee tip if you take the collar off take the battery out as it runs down even if not in use!
If you have one dog then great, i have heard of some people trying to fool their dogs to thinking that they are wearing one by making a false one with a matchbox and giving it a spray every now and then with the spray, havent tried it myself and presume you would have to use the real one first.
All in all thou they can be very effective.

Bye
Chris(thurness Cockers)                    
Cockers r great to cuddle!

Kes_0