Author Topic: Advice much appreciated  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Sallylou

• Site Member
Advice much appreciated
« on: April 17, 2004, 08:59:02 PM »
We are contemplating having a cocker to be a family pet, we have children aged almost 10,and 6.  My husband works full time (but flexible) hours and I work part time.  We are thinking it may be better all round to 'adopt' an older dog who is past the puppy stage, rather than taking on a puppy.  We have spoken to various breeders who may have older dogs available, for various reasons, but who we are assured are sound dogs who will make good family pets.  Is anyone able to offer advice on this issue?  Naturally, we will be dealing with reputable breeders, and seeing the dog in its home setting, seeing its parents etc, but has anyone else been in this situation.  Temperament is paramount, as we have to be very sure the dog will be OK with the children. :?                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Advice much appreciated
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 10:17:49 PM »
Hi Sallylou

Some Breeders do retire their older show dogs and let them go and spend the rest of the lives as valued family pets.  Best thing is as you have suggested go and visit as many as you can who have these older dogs for sale and just see how it goes from there, you will find out how the temprements are etc from actually meeting the dogs and seeing them in their homes.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline watermelon0719

• Site Member
Advice much appreciated
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 02:51:17 PM »
Hello! I have a year old Cocker Spaniel that we got at the shelter at about 5 months. He was a handful growing up! Since you said that your husband and you will be gone for a part of the day, I would say you are making the right decision by planning to bring home an adult. Training might still be an issue at the beginning (adjustment period and all of that), but cocker spaniels are naturally sweet, good natured dogs and you should have almost no problems. I agree with the previous poster - please do go visit each of the breeders and see which dog and which breeder you like the most!  :D                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Advice much appreciated
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 03:19:53 PM »
Hi  :)
Our cocker spaniel is a rescue dog, we got him at 6 mths old. We have young children (the youngest is only one). He has been fantastic with the children. He's 9 mths old now and I really couldn't fault his temperament with them.
If you approach a good rescue,they will assess their dogs with children.
Good luck anyway, I hope you can find what you're looking for  :)