Author Topic: Bones for cleaning teeth  (Read 1030 times)

Offline LeeC

• Site Member
Bones for cleaning teeth
« on: April 19, 2004, 11:38:20 PM »
Romsey is 16 months old and last week we went to the vets for his booster shot and to get him checked over. He is in good health but there is some tartar build up on his teeth and the vet said to give him a lamb's shank (raw)  on a regular basis. He has had one already which  he demolished over several days.

Does anyone else use lamb's shanks, or is there any other way to keep Romsey's teeth in good condition?

Lee                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Bones for cleaning teeth
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 11:48:54 PM »
Hi Lee

I personally wouldn't use lamb bones with Indie, as I find lamb bones tend to splinter quite easily :?   If I were you I would stick to beef marrowbone :)  thats just my opinion though :wink:

Glad to hear Romsey is doing well :D                    

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Bones for cleaning teeth
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 06:34:57 AM »
Hi Lee,  I wouldn't be giving him lamb shanks either. Too small, he could choke and the bones can splinter. You are far better off sticking to the brisket bones and raw chicken wings. Why not a big marrow bone cut in half for him to knaw on?
You will find that all vets will tell you something different. Often best to stick with breeder's advice. My dogs have near perfect teeth. Just a tiny bit of tartar.
The first time I took Leo to the vet I was told never to let him go swimming cos of the deep ear canals, and that I should feed him tinned Pal!
Two bits of advice I have never heeded.
 Do some research on BARF diet and the additives, and have a look at http://www.greenpet.com.au for supplements and dental products.
Watch out for the European wasps that are around at the moment as well. They love the bones too!                    

Offline PennyB

Bones for cleaning teeth
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 11:21:24 AM »
A friend was told by her breeder (cavs) about giving raw lamb shanks to help with anal gland problems                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LeeC

• Site Member
Bones for cleaning teeth
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 11:43:07 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I have been feeding him chicken wings, which he loves and I will try him with a marrow bone as suggested.

Toohey, you are right about the wasps at the moment, there seem to be a lot of them around and we have also put down a new lawn which attracts them in droves.

Lee