Author Topic: Cocker rescue  (Read 7237 times)

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« on: April 25, 2004, 04:00:52 PM »
Could anyone tell me why Cocker rescue will not work with dogs who have behavioural problems? Is it a legal issue? Is it really the case that if a dog bites a groomer or vet and cocker rescue are contacted for advice that they offer to put the dog to sleep?  :shock:
I have been speaking to someone about a very confused cocker who has been passed from pillar to post for being grouchy (growling), but he ISN'T aggressive except for one incident where he bit his groomer (not badly). Is this grounds to put a dog to sleep?
I'm sorry if this is a controversial issue, and if it can't be discussed on the boards can someone please PM me?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker rescue
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 04:50:16 PM »
I'm sure either of the two Cocker Rescue Co-ordinators would be the best people to explain Cocker Rescue policy - their numbers appear at the top of this board. You are correct that the Rescue Service cannot take on a Cocker who has bitten following incidents in the past which have resulted in legal action. The policy has been agreed on by the Club after taking legal advice - I believe there is also an issue with insurance relating to this subject as well. You may not agree with this policy but it is one which many Breed Rescue organisations operate under these days, not just Cocker Rescue. Just last year, legal action was started against a Setter Rescue organisation following a minor biting incident involving a recently rehomed dog - I'm not too sure of the outcome but I imagine the case was settled out of court as most breed rescues cannot afford costly court action.

If specific advice is needed on a temperament problem with a Cocker, then there is Linda's site at www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk (I believe Linda will advise on all kinds of aggressive behaviour not just Rage) & also the Cocker Breed Council's Temperament Advisory Committee's site at http://www.cockerspanieltac.co.uk/. For behaviourists, there is www.apdt.co.uk & also http://www.coape.f9.co.uk/association.htm

HTH

Jane                    
Jane

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 05:39:17 PM »
Thanks for that Jane.
I can understand the legal issues, it's just sad that people take legal action so quickly these days  :(
I did wonder if Linda dealt with other temperament problems.
I don't believe this dog has rage and nor do the rescue as he has apparently improved dramatically since he has been in foster care, he bit the groomer after being taken from a pound and passed between several people who thought cockers were very cute and cuddly but expected a perfect lapdog :( . He was very confused. But he has apparently responded to training and doesn't growl anymore, he is no longer possessive of toys and he has been fine with the children/other dogs and people he's encountered in his foster home. He's just frightened of being groomed.
I will follow all the links you've posted, thanks again Jane  :D
Kelly x                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker rescue
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 06:57:43 PM »

I can understand the legal issues, it's just sad that people take legal action so quickly these days  :(  

Yes today's compensation culture can be v depressing :(

It sounds like this boy could be ok eventually with a bit of tlc & some stability in his life. As a groomer, I have trimmed a few very nervous Cockers & with a bit of patience, you can get them over this but it takes time & an owner willing to put in the work at home too. I've only been bitten once by a "client" & if it had been a fear reaction, I could have coped but this was an out & out "rogue" owned by an owner who I discovered later couldn't care less :roll: I declined to do him again for obvious reasons :wink:

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 11:05:56 PM »
i know the cocker your going on about , jackie/fiona has this boy he bit the groomer after coming out from having the snip a little while later that day  :roll:  im not suprised at all he bit the groomer he must still have been in pain .
they thought he had cocker rage and asked for advice ive passed on the rage info website , but really i dont think id like to be played about with after having an op. well we will see what comes of this boy , mabe wendy and linda will let us know whats goin on with this boys brain :)                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 12:16:35 AM »
Yes that's the little boy, and he most definitely doesn't have rage syndrome as that's the only time he has bitten, he doesn't like being groomed, he is fine with his fosterer and with children/other pets. He has growled before but if that's a sign of rage then Toby must have had it when he first got here!!
Toby also tried to bite when he was groomed for weeks but now he is fine. He was also grouchy, growly and possessive when he first arrived but in a very short space of time he became a soppy little boy, he was just frightened.
We are working something out with this boy anyway  :)                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 01:01:36 AM »
ive been talking to jackie quite a bit about this little boy ,
im not so sure he dosent like being groomed i think it was more the case that after havin a op he was pulled about like a toy .
dogs should be resting after that op >>> same day out the pound same day in havin the chop and then off to the groomers to be made pretty  was a bit much for the chap im sure its a bit tender down there not to menion groggy after being put out  , hes beautiful anyway i dont know why the need for the groomers was so urgent ,
Ahh sometimes i do rant  :roll:  :lol:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker rescue
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 09:12:51 AM »
I'm quite shocked to hear a groomer was prepared to trim a dog the same day as he had had surgery :shock: Can't imagine why this was thought necessary - vets usually advise cage rest following neutering not a trip to the groomers :roll: Not the best way to help a dog who doesn't like being groomed but hopefully this can be overcome with a bit of work.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 09:13:10 AM »
im not so sure he dosent like being groomed i think it was more the case that after havin a op he was pulled about like a toy .
dogs should be resting after that op >>> same day out the pound same day in havin the chop and then off to the groomers to be made pretty  was a bit much for the chap im sure its a bit tender down there not to menion groggy after being put out  , hes beautiful anyway i dont know why the need for the groomers was so urgent ,  
Ahh sometimes i do rant  :roll:  :lol:

Awww the poor boy, no wonder he wasn't happy :(   I hope you get this little fella in a lovely home soon, sounds like all he needs is a bit of TLC and patience.

Let us know the outcome!                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 12:00:07 PM »
sounds like he does need some tlc the dogs really freindly fiona the foster lady has him round her children and other dogs and hes fine ,

hes further down the rescue forum his names champ just 2 yrs old ive seen him up 3 times at least in the pound the first owner said he was just too lively , then the 3rd brought him back as he bit the groomer  :(
this is why there looking for an exsp cocker owner , someone who knows how to handle and what to exspect from the breed                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 12:05:54 PM »
:( Awww poor baby, hope he finds the right home soon!                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 01:11:16 AM »
I was sure that I'd seen his pic before. Poor little mite, three previous homes. I hope he gets settled soon,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Sue H

Cocker rescue
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 10:23:13 PM »
I work for the Blue Cross, and although we are prepared to take almost any dog in, to re-home, at our Centre we cannot take in dogs who have bitten someone - we have a tacit understanding that we disclose everything about the dogs (and cats) in our care becuase if YOU were the person who had their toddler (or grandchild) savaged by an ex-Blue Cross dog with a history of biting children, how would you feel??

Some dogs just need re-homing in very rural environments, with no potential child-confrontations - and yes, we DO have people like that on our books!

Do call - !

Sue H                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 11:08:19 PM »
Hi well sue if you have anyone on your books who wouldent mind a golden 4 year old bitch who dosent like children and isent keen on other dogs then teckles still have patsy .shes been up for rehoming for a very long time now so if you ever find anyone who may suit you know where to find her ;)
info on her below
http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.ph...=ST&f=12&t=5988
a verybad pic of her but a place you can post about her
http://chat.animalsanctuary.info/viewtopic.php?t=129
She is actully quite a nice looking girl the pic looks terrible there was another but for some reason its vanished  :roll:                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Cocker rescue
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 11:55:21 PM »
Patsy is on trial with someone now with a view to them adopting her  :)