Author Topic: Storing dry kibble  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Storing dry kibble
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 09:08:45 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question but how exactly does air 'kill off' nutrients in dry kibble?  :-\ I understand how it may go stale but i can't imagine dry kibble nutrients floating around in the air in my kitchen! Maybe Wilson can inhale the nutrients instead?!  :005: Anyway, we just fill up a plastic container from a big JWB bag!

The nutrient chemicals in some premium kibbles (usually the ones that have less preservatives/emulsifiers etc) will react with the various gases in the air (mainly oxygen) to create new compounds that do not provide the same nutrition for the dog  ;)
They have short shelf lives as a result  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Cazzie

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2008, 09:10:21 PM »
This may seem like a stupid question but how exactly does air 'kill off' nutrients in dry kibble?  :-\ I understand how it may go stale but i can't imagine dry kibble nutrients floating around in the air in my kitchen! Maybe Wilson can inhale the nutrients instead?!  :005: Anyway, we just fill up a plastic container from a big JWB bag!

The nutrient chemicals in some premium kibbles (usually the ones that have less preservatives/emulsifiers etc) will react with the various gases in the air (mainly oxygen) to create new compounds that do not provide the same nutrition for the dog  ;)
They have short shelf lives as a result  ;)

Yes thats it  :D

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 09:13:08 PM »
In reply to the old freezer idea.  We also stored horse and pony food in old freezers but it was to keep the rats off it not to keep it fresh!

Offline 881meryl

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »
ooooh! i see! ;)

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 11:30:15 AM »
We have a big round zip bag that we bough online to store it in. It lives in the understairs cupbard..
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk