Author Topic: rawhide chews  (Read 1158 times)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
rawhide chews
« on: April 27, 2004, 04:48:53 PM »
Hi all. Just wanted to ask - just how bad are rawhide chews? I had never given Pickle one until today, when I was in PetsAtHome, and the power of their instore marketing got the better of me.
So, I brought it home, and nervously gave it to Pickle, half expecting him to start choking right away. But he loves it......he's been chowing away on it for half an hour, which is a record for him, he normally gets bored with nylabones/kongs/carrots after about 5 minutes. I have been watching him all the time whilst he's had it, and am ready to do mouth-to-mouth if he chokes :wink: . But seriously, I would never want to put him in any danger, so what do you think? Do you ever give your Cockers rawhides? And if not, are there any other good chewy favourites other than nylabone/kong/carrots/slippers :roll: ?
Emma and elastic-jaws Pickle xx                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
rawhide chews
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 05:23:30 PM »
I give Indie them, though he needs close watching. When they become slimy and slippy, I think that's denger time so usually stop it there.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
rawhide chews
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 07:42:44 PM »
My 2 boys got it also, but when it is slimy I take it away. When they are alone in the house, we allways take them away. They like to chew on them  :D                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline watermelon0719

• Site Member
rawhide chews
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 05:28:55 AM »
Odie loves those bones, he'll carry them around until there's nothing but a little knob remaining - and then we decide it's time for a new one. That's the only thing he'll growl at my cat for getting too close to! He's very possessive of his bones with the kitty, but doesn't care if we touch them or take them away from him - aren't Cockers the sweetest?  :P Anyway, I would say they aren't dangerous at all as long as you provide the necessary supervision!  :D                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
rawhide chews
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 09:51:03 AM »
i feed jazz rawhide, and didn't know there was aproblem. she eats them to the end, and i never leave her alone with any kind of eatble chews anyway. she loves the,.. now i am worried,                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline LauraT

• Site Member
rawhide chews
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 10:15:54 AM »
All the dogs i've had over the years, border collie, border collie/labrador x, and my parents cocker have all had rawhide chews and never had a problem. They love them.                    

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
rawhide chews
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 11:20:08 AM »
I occasionally give mine rawhide chews, just never leave them with them unattended.  I suppose its like all thinging in general there are always pros and cons, people for and against  :roll:                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
rawhide chews
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 11:24:35 AM »
Thanks for replying everyone. I guess the consensus is that they are ok if given when supervised? I think I will try him with another one - he loved it so much there's hardly anything left of yesterday's chew!
Emma and Pickle xx

PS Cathy, didn't mean to worry anyone! It's just that I've been told that rawhide chews can be dangerous as the dog can bite off little pieces of rawhide and swallow them, which can cause choking. Am sure Jazz will be fine if she is supervised.