Author Topic: Squits or Colitis  (Read 1168 times)

Offline emma

• Site Member
Squits or Colitis
« on: April 29, 2004, 12:35:20 PM »
I have a 15 week old black & white cocker. I took him to the vets with a squitty bum. He thought he had an infection and gave hin antibiotics. Since then hes had slime and blood in his poo. Been feeding him Pedigree puppy but thought id try James Wellbeloved.Could it be a food intollerance or Colitus. Do i carry on with Pedigree or swap food slowly now and risk more squits? :cry:                    

scoobie

Squits or Colitis
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 01:19:56 PM »
Hi Emma
sorry to hear about your little one maybe having the runs or colitis the vets are just to handy in giving antibiotic injections and it makes me so mad especially when you say the vet THINKS he may have an infection, so just to be on the safe side we better give him a jab!! sorry to rant but stories like this make my blood boil.If your thinking about changing your little ones food I would change over very gradually because you will only cause more upset with his tummy and if you think it may be colitis you can give a few spoons of plain natural yoghurt (the one with the friendly bacteria) not sweet stuff. Have you heard of burns this is a very good dry food and they also do it for puppies it isn't full of nasty additives etc only a suggestion and hope he gets better very soon
Edith and scoobie                    

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Squits or Colitis
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 01:39:18 PM »
Hi Emma,

Sorry to hear about your pup.  Tilly (12 months) periodically has the squits after eating cow or sheep poo :shock: .  I starve her for 24 hours (really hard when those melting eyes look at you, but it has to be done) and then give her a diet of something bland, like chicken and rice for a few days ("yum yum" says Tilly! :D ).  I reintroduce normal food in proportions (eg 10% normal food 90% chicken and rice for day one - if no problems, 25% normal food and 75%chicken and rice on day two) and so on over a few days until 100% normal food is given.  This regime normally sorts Tilly out if she has the squits :D.  As Edith says, if you are changing food, do it gradually, adding a little bit more of the new food each day.

However, Tilly once had colitis when she was a pup and the above regime did not help (still squity, even on chicken and rice), so I took her to the vets and she had some antibiotics and some stuff to put in her food, which sorted her out in no time.  Colitis is really nasty and I didn't want to risk my young pup.

That's my experience, although no doubt other people will have found regimes that suit their pups.  It might be worth trying the chicken and rice - if it is just the squits this should sort him out.

Hope your pup is better soon.  When Tilly was poorly I got really excited the first day she did a solid poo again :D  :D !  I think my neighbours think I am mad! :oops: )
HTH

Sue                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Squits or Colitis
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 03:28:03 PM »
Hi Emma,
My girl jess had terrible squits and colitis when younger, she's 9 months now.  She had anti inflammatory injections and antibiotics off the vet and nothing worked.  I tried James Wellbeloved, it made her worse :cry:   When she was about 13 weeks old, I changed to raw feeding and havn't looked back since :lol:  :lol:   Solid poos all the way :shock:  :wink:

I appreciate raw is not for everyone, but if you want to change food i would try either burns (dry) as Edith suggested (no nasties in it all) or naturediet (moist food in carton).  Pedigree puppy contains loads of additives and cereals that are undigestible, I don;t touch pedigree products in any shape or form :!:  :!:   But that is my choice and my opinion only after researching what goes into major commercial dog food :shock:  :shock: .

Hope this helps Emma

Good luck, let us know how you both get on.

Linda and Jess                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline emma

• Site Member
Squits or Colitis
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 08:44:31 PM »
Thanks for all your ideas. I have heard lots of bad stuff about Pedigree so i will definately try JWB, never heard of Burns or seen it in any shops where I live. Bracken has done a hard poo "YIPPEE" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:                    

Offline Lindaphills

• Site Member
Squits or Colitis
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 11:38:27 AM »
Burns is not available in any supermarkets or large pet stores.  They only supply to local small pet shops or you can order online from their website.  The service is very efficient.  I would go for Burns rather than JWB but that's just my personal choice.

Here is their website www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk

Glad Bracken's on the mend

good luck

Linda and Jess                    
Linda, Jess and baby Jimmy
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Squits or Colitis
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 12:58:49 PM »
awww poor little mite hope he gets better soon :)                    

scoobie

Squits or Colitis
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 01:06:18 PM »
Hi emma very glad to hear that Bracken is getting better. I agree with Linda , Burns is the much better food than JWB I have fed my scoobs on both and out of the two Burns comes up tops even though I am a raw feeder now. Go on their website that Linda has given you they are very helpful and they really do provide a good delivery service and they also give excellent advice about colitis etc
Edith