Author Topic: frontline ?? it hasent worked  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
frontline ?? it hasent worked
« on: April 30, 2004, 10:18:01 PM »
We bought frontline from the vets last week sprayed the house with stronghold flea spray got all the animals in to be treated with frontline this was about 5 days ago , there all still itching like mad why hasent it worked?
all the animals were done the same time in the garden when it was sunny                    

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 10:30:16 PM »
Hi

Did you use the spray or spot on's? Its very important that you adminster either of these as guided by the packet.  Often when people say that it hasn't worked is due to incorrect appilcation, If it's the spot on used you have to get it on the skin and not the fur as not enough is distributed around, at work we recomend that you apply it in 2/3 spot around the shoulder area as there is quite alot to get on and with the spray you really need to sodden them.  Do you mean Staykill not stronghold for the house?  You need to be quite librial with your use, obviously paying good attention to the areas most frequented by the animals but also its a good idea to pay good attention under furniture such as Seatees, chairs, under TV, fridge, freezer, washing machine, etc... as they imgrate to warm areas.

I forgot Frontline can take up to 24 hrs to get to effectiveness

HTH                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 10:57:59 PM »
doh im loosing me marbles yes staykill in the big yellow can. ive been reading too many things . all area's done skirting boards under the units we threw away the animals bedding as we bought new ones :)  the bedrooms were even done even though they dont go in the bedroom except when they manage to get in by accident  :lol:
we have  leather sofas but we did the cusions .and everything we looked at  :o the vet said just use our steam cleaner on the woodfloors and we did that  .
The vet recomended the spray as we have cats and dogs so can use it all the time plus the cat had spot on once and went dozy for ages .
We did it as directed put our gloves on and sprayed all over making sure we got it all over rubbed in really well then I combed them threw just to make sure , fortunatly it was a sunnyday so we had ages to do them all :) my black cat has really long fur still looks like hes wet from where its dryed brushed him but it still looks funny . so im not sure how it hasent worked                    

Offline Tori

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 11:04:47 PM »
AHHHHHHHHH Mmmmmmmmmm

Gonna have to put my thinking cap back on......  :idea: I know what ....I'll just ask a vet :D

Will hopefully get some answers there :wink:                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 11:12:56 PM »
i was thinking mabe its a bad batch ? i dont think i could put more on , the stuff stinks thou , very strange .  thanks torie that would be a great help .:)                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 01:11:18 AM »
I was always told by my vets in oxford not to use frontline spoton on my cats when it was sunny (or is this just for cats!).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 10:05:13 AM »
not sure penny , he dident want the dog to have spot on either , said the spray would be just as good . but also i have dogs and cats and its handy  to zap all the animals with it . just dont know why it hasent worked. mabe i have super fleas here  :lol:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 12:06:31 AM »
I decided to wash bell last night and re apply with what i had left , it still hasent worked bit confused frontline is always suposed to be the best where should we go from here ? im not impressed at all could understand it if this stuff was cheap but at £30 a bottle it should do the job  :?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 09:53:03 AM »
Have you actually seen any fleas?? If Bella & the cats are still scratching, that might be just a continuing reaction to past flea bites rather than there being any fleas still alive now. Just a thought :wink:                    
Jane

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 12:50:18 PM »
Just another thought.....Could they be scratching because there moulting.  :?   Nells not long had frontline spot on. She's still scratching, weve checked her coat,...... and its clean as a whistle.  :D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 04:00:31 PM »
the cats are the same . there all itching like mad , infact it seems alot worse since we did them all .they wasent too bad before  just the odd itch. we checked for fleas so did the vet but we dident find any fleas/eggs but he said since summers on its way give them a blast with it ill leave it a few days see if things calm down then mabe give the vet a ring  .                    

Offline Tori

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 09:15:38 PM »
Hi

Did you take the animals to the vets for the actually sratching or something else?  You say that you haven't seen any evidence of fleas or eggs.  Have you considered other options such as enviromently changes, are you using anything else different in the house, or food related :?   It could also be that they don't actually have fleas but another parasites such as mites :|   The thing with frontline is that it only works on fleas, ticks and lice NOT mites.  If it is a mite problem then you need to use stronghold, as this is the general treatment for most mite infestations.  

Oh just remembered that you said that you bathed Belle then reaplied the frontline, don't forget that you must use frontline 2 days either side of bathing to get the full effectiveness and if the animals are continually getting wet then that has quite a detrimental effect on it aswell

HTH                    
Tori & Co x

Offline Hel

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2004, 09:23:12 PM »
A test to see if you have got fleas in the carpet is to put white paper around the edges of the carpet (leave a bit of space between the paper and wall) and leave it at least overnight.  You will see flea droppings and usually fleas on the paper, if you have them.

Many animals will scratch for ages after having fleas due to the flea bites.  If you have had fleas and they are now all dead, the animals will still scratch for a while.

Your animals could be suddenly scratching for all sorts of reasons, other than fleas.  Have you used a new washing powder/liquid recently, new air spray, carpet spray, etc.?                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 10:00:50 PM »
thats a good idea but we dont have carpets anymore only wood flooring , our sofa's are leather . not sure to the reason why . ill keep my eye out see if things calm down soon :)