Author Topic: drying wet dog  (Read 2435 times)

Offline LauraT

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« on: May 04, 2004, 03:05:06 PM »
Trying to dry my parents cocker, Tia, after a wet muddy run is murder. She thinks it's a game and that the towel is a toy and starts playing tug o' war with it.

In the end we give up and she then has a mad couple of minutes were she runs around like a lunatic  and as a consequence she ends up walking/running her damp/muddy paws all over the place when this is over she then jumps up on the sofa for a snooze and her damp body makes the said sofa damp.

With tried a hair drier but she runs a mile.

I worry that being damp might lead to her getting arhritis. Any hints on how we can get her to stay still while we dry her?                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 03:11:19 PM »
:lol: Oh dear another typical cocker then :wink:   It can be a problem, I wrap Indie up in a towel (bit like baby jesus) and pop her on my knee to dry off, I also use the hairdryer on her, but she is fine with that!  

You can get a product called a doggie dry bag, which is basically a big bag that zips up and your dogs sits in until dried off :D   Think they are about £12, you could even make your own if your handy with a sewing machine 8)                    

Offline LauraT

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 03:37:02 PM »
As you say a typical cocker.

I got her one of those bags but she's a struggle to get into it, and i'm always afraid i'm going to hurt her so i tend not to use it.                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 03:42:56 PM »
As you say a typical cocker.

I got her one of those bags but she's a struggle to get into it, and i'm always afraid i'm going to hurt her so i tend not to use it.

:? You could try giving her a Kong with something really tasty in, like a bit of ham or chicken, something she wouldn't normally have, that may keep her interested enough to keep still :D                    

Offline LauraT

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 04:03:42 PM »
Thanks i'll try that.                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 04:06:26 PM »
Pleasure!! Let us know if it works :wink:                    

Offline PennyB

drying wet dog
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 05:21:54 PM »
Sounds familiar. I've got 2 who do that so when they race around wildly they bark loudly as well while they're doing it. As far as the wet sofa things concerned I have a thick pet blanket that I put on it for them to lie on which usually means I get a wet knee as Wilf always insists on sleeping on it once he's settled down :lol:                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mightyjoe

• Site Member
    • http://www.byphotos.com/album/780383
drying wet dog
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 05:30:50 PM »
Oscar is just the same, thinks it is some kind of game. He is not to keen on the hair dryer sometimes. He know to go on to his towel when he comes in but he then starts to play. just have to go with it.                    
David, Sharon & Oscar

Oscar Pics    Oscar in Scotland

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
drying wet dog
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 05:32:35 PM »
Mmmm....same problem here except Lottie insists on humping the towel too :roll:

I put the towel over her completely with just her head poking out and hold it under the chin with one hand and dry her with the other.  She grumbles continuously though:roll:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline LauraT

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 06:04:43 PM »
I'm glad Tia isn't the only one who goes bonkers after she's been dryed (or attempted to be dryed) with a towel.

She goes all bonkers after she's has had a brush as well.                    

Offline donna37

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 10:08:42 PM »
My Jake isnt keen on a bath and afterwards I use at least 3 towels to dry him and wrap him in a towel...he sits there and shivers...ive tried the hair dryer but he wont sit still.  Where do you buy these bags and are they worth investing in?

Donna                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 10:19:21 PM »
I find that if I put a bath mat on a table and stand Blue on it then he will let me dry him with a towel and the hair dryer, if I left him to stand on the ground it would be like wacky races here with me chasing after Blue with his towel!!!!!! :lol:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 10:37:49 PM »
Thankfully our Tia likes to be towelled down, and will go to her bed when we get in all wet. Mind you, I remind her as we unlock the door and keep her lead on until I've finished. :wink:  We then just get a slightly damp sofa!
Michael, we have another Tia, and we can't be too far away. We are in east London and I see you are in Essex.
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline LauraT

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 11:09:18 AM »
Mary,

I live in Barking (appropriatley) and Tia is my parents dog and she lives in Rayleigh - i generally see her and my parents a couple of times a month.                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
drying wet dog
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 07:03:13 PM »
I've not seen the zip up bag towels.....do they work?
We have a lab at the moment and she has always been really good about being wiped.
I know that she will lead our new pup into all the muddy and wet places!!
I wondered if the bag towel was worth investing in before our pup comes to us.