Author Topic: Tricolour cockers  (Read 2118 times)

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« on: May 05, 2004, 05:43:32 PM »
It's all Sam's fault. Hubby and I are in love with tricolour cockers, it was the pictures of Charlie that started it. Are they rare? I've noticed that it's hard to find pictures of them. I went scouring breeders websites trying to find more pictures but it was very hard-going.
Not looking for a puppy  :lol: hence not posting in breeders forum. Just interested really.                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 07:05:20 PM »
I'd say they're as rare (or as common!) as black and tans - again, it's the tan gene that both parents need to carry in order to produce tan or tri-coloured pups - tri-coloureds can be produced when two parti-colours with the tan gene are mated together, whereas black and tans come from two solids with the tan gene - hope that makes sense  :lol:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 08:24:49 PM »
ive been asking jane about lemon roans shes never seen one hehe so i take it thats rare .
Ive seen a few tris about Im sure someone must quite often get tri's in there litter.mabe jane knows of a breeder who often gets these?                    

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 09:16:28 PM »
When I chose Louis, within his litter there was a tri coloured pup.  I got Louis from Northallerton in North Yorkshire.  The breeder had also had a previous litter with a tri coloured pup as well, so if you are interested I could give you her details. :lol:                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 10:54:24 PM »
When I chose Louis, within his litter there was a tri coloured pup.  I got Louis from Northallerton in North Yorkshire.  The breeder had also had a previous litter with a tri coloured pup as well, so if you are interested I could give you her details. :lol:

Don't tempt me  :lol:
How long are the waiting lists for certain colours or is that how long is a piece of string?
It's hypothetical really as I don't know if I would buy a puppy anyway, and Toby is still only 10 months old so I wouldn't think about it yet.
I also don't think breeders place pups with young children. That's amusing though as I have been fostering pups for ages LOL, often 2 or 3 at the same time. I have 2 coming on Friday from Hereford and Worcester rescue, I've been toy shopping for them today. Hopefully they will be rehomed quite quickly as they're only 10 weeks old poor things.

Mmmm....Sam if you read this you are COMPLETELY responsible for this  :lol:                    

Offline Beano and Charlies mum

• Site Member
    • http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/beanosmum/
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 11:07:33 PM »

MOI....................................................What did i do??? :?

Kelly borrow Charlie for a few days and you will soon be put off !!! LOL :P                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 11:10:21 PM »

MOI....................................................What did i do??? :?

Kelly borrow Charlie for a few days and you will soon be put off !!! LOL :P

Look, I know you are lying about Charlie to stop me stealing him  :lol: Posting pictures of carpet he has allegedly damaged I ask you  :?  I bet another big dog came in and did that and you blamed poor little Charlie  :lol:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 11:38:04 PM »
If you mean black, white & tans, then yes, they are rare - very rare from reputable breeders who health-screen (ie eye test etc) their dogs. Some commercial breeders do produce this colour because it's popular with puppy buyers so they have a ready market for them but you would have to wait a very long time & be prepared to travel a long way to locate a tri from a reputable breeder. I believe Dessie gave up after a 2 year search :lol:

Quite a few reputable breeders will sell puppies to small children - some may have a blanket ban based on previous bad experiences but others will take each case as it comes. I have certainly let pups go to families with young children & turned down others - it depends entirely on the families in question :wink:                    
Jane

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 11:56:16 PM »
I did wonder if they were rare as I had looked at many of the sites listed under the breeder section of this site and I didn't see any.
It's nice to know some breeders rehome with young children though. I'm preferably looking for one that will swap a cocker spaniel puppy for one of my children. I wonder how the long the waiting list is for that service?  :lol:  :lol:                    

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 12:13:57 AM »
If you mean black, white & tans, then yes, they are rare - very rare from reputable breeders who health-screen (ie eye test etc) their dogs. Some commercial breeders do produce this colour because it's popular with puppy buyers so they have a ready market for them but you would have to wait a very long time & be prepared to travel a long way to locate a tri from a reputable breeder. I believe Dessie gave up after a 2 year search :lol:

Quite a few reputable breeders will sell puppies to small children - some may have a blanket ban based on previous bad experiences but others will take each case as it comes. I have certainly let pups go to families with young children & turned down others - it depends entirely on the families in question :wink:

Hi Jane, I dont have any of Charlies history apart from him being in three homes before me and being ill treated. I guess from what you are saying, he is likely from a commercial breeder. But do they leave them undocked and remove dew claws , as Charlie is, or could he have come from a hobby/novice breeder. Probably a bit like asking you how long a piece of string is, but i do often wonder what his background is.

Sam                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 12:27:29 AM »
I think children and pups growing up together is a nice thing , I know a few other breed.. breeders who sell pups to homes with young children , i think its a matter of the breeder looking into what the family is like and if the parents responsible enough to make sure the children and pup arent left alone .thats where things can  go wrong . im sure after a breeder has spoken to you she/he will realise you will make sure pup is fine :)                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 12:44:33 AM »
Yes, I agree, I think it depends on the family, if a breeder can meet all family members and watch how the children interact with dogs I suppose that helps.
Sam, I wonder if Charlie did come from a novice breeder who only bred one litter and didn't want to dock them? Not that it matters now, he's lovely. Beano has a lot of coat doesn't he? I couldn't believe how long his coat was on the pictures you posted of your walk.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 09:45:33 AM »

Hi Jane, I dont have any of Charlies history apart from him being in three homes before me and being ill treated. I guess from what you are saying, he is likely from a commercial breeder. But do they leave them undocked and remove dew claws , as Charlie is, or could he have come from a hobby/novice breeder. Probably a bit like asking you how long a piece of string is, but i do often wonder what his background is.

Sam

Hard to say Sam - some puppy farmers/commercial breeders are now leaving their pups undocked. All you can say for sure is that Charlie didn't come from an experienced, reputable breeder but he's in a good home now which is the main thing :)

Jane                    
Jane

• Site Member
Tricolour cockers
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 02:04:03 PM »
Thanks Jane  :D  Did think that would be the case, or he would have gone back to the breeder and not into rescue.  Still the little Devil is gorgeous to me and as you say thats all that matters.