Author Topic: William met a pig  (Read 637 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
William met a pig
« on: October 11, 2008, 11:14:57 PM »
William and his Retriever friend Ruby were out for a walk with Ruby's mum, Maria, a couple of days ago. Maria decided to drive to a different part of the New Forest than the usual places and parked up in a car park surrounded by dense woodland.

She let the dogs out of the car and William immediately trotted across the car park, wagging his tail, and disappeared behind a bush. Maria went over to investigate, to find William, tail still wagging, touching noses with a large pig with a ring in it's nose!

Luckily the pig just seemed bemused at William's attempts to make friends. It was one of about 6 or so, completely invisible from the car park. Maria called William but he was intent on staying with his new friend, so poor Maria had to brave it and go in amongst the pigs and drag William out.

Wills is completely bombproof with horses, ponies, cattle and donkeys but had never met a pig before. Maybe he thought it was a strange type of dog. He certainly wasn't alarmed or excited by it, no barking or anything.

Just goes to show there will always be unforeseeable situations. There was no way that Maria could have known the pigs were there. William was incredibly lucky that they didn't react badly to him.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Re: William met a pig
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 06:44:01 AM »
Wow what were the pigs doing there, were they just loose roaming about, they are obviously friendly pigs , i bet it was a suprise for you too  :blink:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:06:22 AM »
Awwwwww they must've been munching the acorns, i remember seeing piggies in the forest when i was a child. :luv: William sounds a sweetie. :luv:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 08:29:03 AM »
Pigs owned by Commoners (people who have grazing and other rights in the New Forest) are allowed to be turned out there for a set period each autumn when the acorns are falling. Acorns are poisonous to ponies but a treat for pigs and the pigs eat quite a lot of them when they're turned out in the Forest. Ponies usually ignore acorns but some will acquire a taste for them and can die if they eat too many.

The pigs aren't wild animals as they all belong to various owners, but the sows with piglets can be very protective and aggressive, so it's best to steer clear of them if you see them.

Our first Cocker, Josh, disturbed some pigs in the New Forest when out with my husband one day. Like William, he wouldn't have chased them, but just came across them. The first that my husband knew of it was when Josh appeared running flat out towards David with a large sow in pursuit. David had to run as well but they both got away safely. Pigs have huge teeth!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:43:32 AM »
that's a coincidence, we were at Fritham yesterday and jarv had a conversation with a very big sow with about 6 rings pierced through it's snout...don't normally see the pigs there, most of them are in Bramshaw ;)

they just sniffed each other curiously and that was that, each went on their merry way  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:00:05 AM »
that's a coincidence, we were at Fritham yesterday and jarv had a conversation with a very big sow with about 6 rings pierced through it's snout...don't normally see the pigs there, most of them are in Bramshaw ;)

they just sniffed each other curiously and that was that, each went on their merry way  :D

Not a coincidence Helen, as William was at Fritham when he met his pig!

Offline sooze

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »
Some friends of mine have a farm/B&b/plant centre etc where I visit when I am up near Scarborough - it is in Harwood Dale, and they have a lovely place, with loads of walks, dog friendly etc., and have a working farm, with piglets, calves, goats, geese etc., so a great place to take your dog  ... I held Bam out over the pen with piglets in, and I could almost see the conflicting thoughts (Hmmm, smells like piggies ears but looks like trouble !!)

Anyone else taken theirs to a wildlife park or similar - we have one of those near Burford in Oxforsdshire and ours have always loved it - penguins, meercats, monkeys - the dogs love it and the critters love the dogs !!  They crowd round their cages to try and connect with your dog ...:)