Author Topic: Jumping at kitchen worktops  (Read 979 times)

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Jumping at kitchen worktops
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:05:59 PM »
Can anyone give advice on stopping Hattie jumping up while I'm in the kitchen, I tell her down, praise her when she does this. she is 7 months old. My kitchen has perminate foot prints on the cupboard doors.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: Jumping at kitchen worktops
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »
Jarvis has been consistently discouraged from jumping at the worktops.... but can i stop him?  ::) >:( drives me mad, espesically when he steals half my sandwich or an apple pie. >:D Not to mention cleaning muddy paw prints off the worktop. ::)
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 06:27:26 PM »
I have no idea how to do it but if someone knows the answer please post it  :005:
I have a white kitchen and it doesn't mix well with a jumpy muddy cocker  >:D

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 06:35:29 PM »
Can anyone give advice on stopping Hattie jumping up while I'm in the kitchen, I tell her down, praise her when she does this. she is 7 months old. My kitchen has perminate foot prints on the cupboard doors.

Is she allowed to jump at other times i.e. to greet people etc?

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:41:38 PM »

Same here...we have a white high gloss kitchen which looks lovely when it is clean.....which isnt very often  ph34r...Lola is the only one that does it in this house...Bibas legs are too short  :-\ and Lola will bounce from one cupboard to the next...i can make her sit for so long but the urge to bounce is too much  :005:...she will sit when it is feeding time and the only way i can make her do that is to stop what i am doing everytime she bounces and walk away.....i will only carry on doing her food once she is sitting...means food time takes ages though  ::)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »
I've always managed to discourage Chloe from doing this...that is up until the last few days strangely enough  >:D She no longer gets down imediately when I tell her to...I've noticed my NOs getting louder and louder  >:D

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 07:45:24 PM »
If she is jumping when you are preparing her food then tell her to sit, and if she carries on regardless, walk out the room and close the door for a few seconds, go back in tell her to sit then keep repeating this until she sits.  It does work for mine (well most times).  An dog behavourist advised me to do this.  So its definetly worth trying.

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline lizzielewis

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 11:10:33 PM »
That sounds like a really good idea - I'm going to give it a go tomorrow!!  Satchel hurled himself at the counter this evening and only narrowly avoided an injury!!! He's a bit of an athlete when it comes to food so the walking out of the room plan might just work! 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
I have Katie's cage/crate in the kitchen, and Smudge his daybed, I tell them both once to get down/ away and if that does not work Katie is crated, with the door closed and Smudge sent to his bed.  :police: Because of the potential dangers (gas cooker, knives etc) I feel it really important to be firm in this instance.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 06:19:08 PM »
I would not say she is allowed to jump at people, we are trying to stop that as well, when we have visitors we put her lead on and stop her from jumping until she calms down.  She is a bit of a jumper when off the lead as most of the people I walk with will tell you, as they always go home with muddy paw prints on there jeans.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 06:32:06 PM »
Quote from: waggytails link=topic=52458. #msg746936 date=1229192348
I would not say she is allowed to jump at people, we are trying to stop that as well, when we have visitors we put her lead on and stop her from jumping until she calms down.  She is a bit of a jumper when off the lead as most of the people I walk with will tell you, as they always go home with muddy paw prints on there jeans.

I just thought that maybe jumping at the worktops might mean she also jumps up at other things i.e. people.   Indie was taught as pup that she shouldn't jump at people, only because I have a small child and didn't want her jumping all over him so she doesn't jump in the kitchen or anywhere.   I guess when she stops jumping at people, she won't jump at other things.   :-\

I'm the one who usually comes home with muddy paw prints all over me - not from my dog though  :lol2:

PS  Indie was clicker trained not to jump so maybe thats an idea