Author Topic: skype  (Read 1006 times)

Offline LisaB

When my mum calls me he picture and her voice keep breaking up, making it impossible to talk, and it's the same for her at her end. This doesn't happen when hubby calls me on skype, it's clear and we can have a normal conversation.  What might she be doing wrong? Any advice please?

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: skype
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:08:34 PM »
I am a real numpty, but when OH used to skype me from Switzerland, we often had similar problems, and it was all down to his internet connection.

I think he was on wireless, or it might have been a problem with his provider at first. I seem to remember that he eventually sorted it all out.

Might be worth chatting to your mum about her connection. Hope you can sort it out.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:29:59 AM »
I'm told that Skype takes quite a lot of space and seriously slows down the computers, we use it at work and haven't got good space hence most of the time we use it to "text" each other because talking is very poor quality!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:27:40 AM »
I use Skype everyday as OH is currently working in the Middle East so we need it to keep in contact.  Most problems we have are connection based and tbh Skype does struggle if the connection is limited - we often get disconnected mid-call and have to call back.

When I was living abroad last year and tried to call my sister in the UK I had a problem similar to what you are describing with your Mum and she was the ONLY person that I couldn't get a good connection with.  She recently re-formatted her PC and got a new cable modem and now everything is fine.  It may have been a coincidence of course but after months of not being able to hear her it seems that her doing all this did make things better.
Elaine & Mason X

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:33:32 PM »
I use it every day to call hubby in the middle east but we can't use the video with it as the connection is never strong enough.
Elsie my beautiful bluey