Author Topic: Can't wait to take our boys out  (Read 1305 times)

Offline josiek

• Site Member
Can't wait to take our boys out
« on: August 13, 2004, 03:46:48 PM »
We have a 12 week old cocker who is fully vaccinated and a 10 week old beagle who is coming up for his second jab on Monday.  We are able to take the cocker (Bailey) out for walks now but are reluctant to because we don't feel it would be fair on the beagle (Flash), and while Bailey doesn't know what he's missing he won't get upset.  We don't fancy walking Bailey and carrying Flash as he's a wriggly little tyke and we couldn't guarantee not dropping him!

But I can't wait until the first day (according to our vet, around a week after flash's second jab - roll on Monday 23rd!) that we can take the pair of them out together - I know they're just going to be so excited about all these new environments they're going to see (and smell, and taste, and get muddy in). :D

I'd love to know what were other people's experiences of "The First Walk"?                    

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 03:53:17 PM »
Hi Josie

I can't wait to take Molo out either; he had his second jab today - the vet said a week to 10 days before we can take him out - I think we'll split the difference and take him out for the first time on the 21st.

I have tried Molo with his lead a couple of times in the garden, but all he wants to do is chew it  :wink: Any suggestions on getting him to accept it?                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 04:01:40 PM »
Carry one or the other in a bag (small backpack turned round front) or puppy pouch. It seems a shame that one is missing out on vital socializing (very very important at this age and can't empasize it enough).

I carried Wilf out each time I took Ruby (then 14 months old) for a walk                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 04:02:56 PM »
Alfies first walk (or should that be drag) was today :)

Managed to get the collar and lead on and keep hold of my fingers, poo bags and treats stuffed in pockets and we were ready.

First hurdle was the doorstep!!! Ok so lifted over that and we're off.........
As far as the garden wall :)

A treat and lots of goodboys and we get as far as next door's gate :)
More treats and more goodboys and another 2yards and its "ok, carry time" so we get to the park just in time to meet up with Harley whos a 3 year old cocker and a softee to boot so its off the lead and 5 mins of "who can bite whos ears the most" and I have a knackered Alfie on my hands whos now flat out on the floor by my feet :)

Luckily because I have been taking him out most days in my arms he wasnt too alarmed by cars or people. He run up to anyone who got close enough for a belly rub but soon came flying back to me. Lots of whinging going on when walking, but he does that all the time anyway and his tail was wagging so I didnt pay too much head to it. And lots of falling over himself as he was trying to walk or run at the same time as trying to get the collar off with his back paw :)

So a good first time me thinks :)

Caroline and Alfie                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 04:08:37 PM »
Both mine were fine on their 1st walks out as they'd been out so often anyway so it wasn't scary for them at all.

It might be worth sometimes taking your pups out separately when you do as its easier to train them especially recall if they're going off at all angles. I did (still do sometimes) with mine even though there's a much bigger age difference—if I didn't they'd just muck around and not listen to a word I said (also good for increasing the bond you have with each as this is most important when training as cockers and beagles are much too focused on the floor and need to focus on you and won't do that if they don't have that individual bond with you)                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 04:48:20 PM »
I bet you can't wait. :D

Lotties first walk was very uneventful, my daughter took her and after she laid down in the front garden and refused to budge :roll: , the walk managed to reach as far as across the road :lol:

Mind you the second walk was completely different, Lottie was off like a little express train eager to meet everything that moved.

I still walk my two dogs together and separately to spend time alone with each. Plus Lottie will often focus on Goldie, instead of me, when we are out which doesn't help recall.

You have some exciting times ahead....my two get so excited when they see or hear their leads or car harnesses :D                    

Offline Jan29

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 06:20:47 PM »
Charlie had his first walk yesterday and kept lying down but he did take really well to the lead. Lots of neighbours came out to fuss him and each time he rolled on to his back for a tummy tickle!  Today he couldn't wait to go out and was off like a shot - bit worried about how much he should be walked, he'll be 13 weeks tomorrow. Can anyone tell me roughly how long to walk him for or should i carry on till he seems tired? Still having bad nights and not done any housework since we got him! Will try and post some pics of him when i've worked out how to.                    
Janet and Charlie

Offline correna

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 07:30:55 PM »
My Bailey has been going out for a couple of weeks now and luckily has never been difficult on the lead.

In fact after a few days whenever we were in a field or well away from a road I have let him off the lead, he was trained to come to call before he went out and it has paid off, cos now he follows behind not wanting to get to behind and if he sees anyone or thing or decides to play with another dog as soon as he is called he comes to me.

My advice would be to take a bag full of treats :D  ( and poo bags!!) and eventually if they realise that treats are at hand your Bailey should walk lovely on the lead.

I have been very lucky with my Bailey, but I spent alot of time with him from when I got him training him with treats, and as long as things continue with how well he behaves I will be really pleased. It is also nice when people comment on how obedient he is. :)

Start as you mean to go on,  it should be  a pleasure for both you and the dogs  :lol:  :lol:

Correna & Bailey  :wink:                    
Correna & Bailey

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 07:45:07 PM »
Our first walk with Molly was great, but then my 2 girls had walked her round the garden for 4 weeks beforehand to get her used to the collar and lead.

It might be good to take Bailey out on his own while someone else stays at home with Flash so that Bailey is familiar with his surroundings.  Then when it is Flash's turn you can turn your attention to him, rather than dividing it between them for that initial venture into the big bad world.  Being different breeds they may react differently to this big adventure and it may also be easier for you to cope with one at a time.

Hope you have lots of fun :D                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Hel

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 11:12:48 PM »
The cocker pup should be taken out when it is ready (i.e. now) , as should the beagle, later.

The fact you have chosen to have two pups, which don't comfortably fit together in age needs, should have no effect on your behaviour to them as individual pups.

How can I say this - you have two young dogs  (cocker and beagle) which will always need individual  training.  If you choose to ignore this advice, you must be a very experienced dog trainer (and yes, I do have experience of a beagle pup).                    

Offline josiek

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 10:39:14 AM »
Thanks for all your kind advice (even Hel, though I sense a strong note of disapproval  :x in your reply).

I took them out today.  I really didn't think Flash would take kindly to being in a rucksack while Bailey was walking, but he seemed very happy, just snuffling the air and looking aorund him at all the new sights.  Bailey, needless to say, was head down, sniffing all the way.  the only time he put his head up was at the noise of a car or motorcycle nearby, but a quick "it's okay" from me and he was off again.  I think we'll also try taking them out individually.  We often find that they like to sleep at different times and these times will be the ideal oppurtunity to do this.
Anyway, the walk (or ride) seems to have tired the pair of them out and they're now flat out in their beds!

Hel, I'd be interested to know if you have any advice on Beagle rearing - I've scouted around but there aren't any beagle sites remotely as good as COL.                    

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 02:23:33 PM »
Hi Josie,
I have also owned a beagle though he is now in that great garden in the sky.
Silas ( my cocker) is only 18 weeks but so far has been wonderful off the lead, coming when called , coming first time (mostly!) and being very well behaved.
My beagle was a completely different kettle of fish.As soon as he was outside his nose was to the floor and he was off.He would recall a little bit with the offer of food, but up to now, Silas wins hands down on the walkies stakes.

Good luck!!! :)                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 03:15:43 PM »
I love watching Brogan and Bailey out running together off lead.  I do however do most of their walks individually.  Brogan is only 12 months old and still needs lots of 1:1 attention and training.  Bailey is 15 weeks and definitely needs that 1:1 :lol:   It does both the dogs good I think as well to be left at home without the other for company.  I am also making sure that Bailey is well socialized without the presence of Brogan all the time - he can't always be there for his back-up.  

2 dogs on the lead at the same time - sure it would be easier if I learnt to juggle!!  Managed it today though by having the 2 dogs attached to each other and both attached to separate leads - hit them 3 way :lol: With 5 kids in tow as well - it was adventerous to say the least!! But we did it with very little pulling and hardly any stops - and I survived to tell the tale :lol:  A situation I usually avoid like the plague - but today thought I'd give it a go and it really wasn't so bad - although I'm not after a repeat performance!! :shock:  :lol:

Bailey still gets carried if we go on longer family walks or down the beach - he sits in his sling like lord muck watching the world go by.  Although he's a bit on the heavy side these days!                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline bunny

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 02:03:25 PM »
i cant wait to take mine out either, but its a while yet, i think you should do what suits you, and go with the flow, everyone will have different ways of doing things and different ideas, the most important thing is to enjoy them, which you seem to be doing, whether it be dogs kids or what ever, there is always going to be different opinions, some stronger than others.but the advice on here is generally pretty good, and helpfull. enjoy your walking:wink: