Author Topic: Our new puppy comes home today  (Read 1939 times)

Offline markie and gang

• Site Member
Our new puppy comes home today
« on: August 16, 2004, 11:23:49 AM »
We collect our new little un today having come back from holiday at the weekend.

Any tips on how to make his first night as stress free as possible? :?:  :)                    

Offline Sandy J.

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 11:32:41 AM »
That's great news :)  
I think that every puppy cries during its first night at its new home and it's very difficult to make this time absolutely stress free. Some people say that you should leave a ticking clock next to the puppy's bed. But personally I think that the best way to make it feel better is just to spend this first night close to it - when my Sara came home she spent the first night next to my bed. She stopped crying and fell asleep soon  :)

Sandy & Sara                    

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 11:34:22 AM »
We filled a hot water bottle that had a furry cover with warm water and put it in Molly's bed, with a couple of dog safe furry toys.  I think she liked the security of not being the only one in the bed.  She only cried a little bit for the first 2 nights (although, maybe we were just lucky :D )

Good luck with your new arrival, hope you have great fun together.                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 12:07:41 PM »
A blanket or toy that also smells of Mum and littermates is very comforting.  If you didn't leave one with the breeder - it would be worth taking one with you to rub all over the other pups and mum - leave it with them while you chat and finalize - will be smelly and grubby before you know it 8)  :D Pop it in a plastic bag to bring home to keep the scent.  We also did the clock and the hot water bottle.  I also left a night light on in the kitchen - although that was also to stop me tripping up in the night  :lol: (I keep all lights off in the house for night outings)

Enjoy your puppy - look forward to all your news!!                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline markie and gang

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 12:32:50 PM »
we have left a blanket with the breeder... I am sure its grubby as anything.

Thanks all for the advice... we will be keeping little un in the kitchen from night one... sounds harsh but nearly everyone we have talked to says its how they have done it.... I may well sleep on the settee to be near though!                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 01:58:43 PM »
Hi Markie, best wishes with your new baby, i'm sure your going to have many happy and fun filled years together.  :D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline markie and gang

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 05:50:46 PM »
well Leyton is now home... eight weeks and one day. The breeder has been using his name and it shows.... he is beautiful.... and the most wonderful tmeperament I have ever seen.

Been to wee twice in the garden as well 8)                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 06:31:29 PM »
AWWWWWW what a clever little boy!   :P    love the name by the way.  :D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 06:41:15 PM »
... we will be keeping little un in the kitchen from night one... sounds harsh but nearly everyone we have talked to says its how they have done it.... I may well sleep on the settee to be near though!

I slept in the living room next to the kitchen for the first few nights...I only moved back in with OH after I convinced him to get the Baby Monitor out of the loft  :shock: That was for my benefit though; as Molo was last to leave the breeder, he was already used to being alone, and cried for just 20 minutes the first 2 nights and now, nothing til 5 am :wink:

Hope you have as much fun with your new baby as we are with Molo.....                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 07:21:50 PM »
Congratulations on the arrival of Leyton!!!  :D                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 11:06:27 PM »
Hope Leyton is settling well on his first night in his new home  :P   Congratulations!!!!  :P                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 11:27:54 PM »
Welcome home Leyton!  What a fab name you've got!                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline markie and gang

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 05:00:13 PM »
Well the first night started of badly due to my fault but then turned out well.
We left Leyton in his crate about 10.30 and he howled and screamed. I came back to him for an hour and he had done a pooh and got mess everywhere. I should have made sure he had done number two's before putting him to bed so completely my fault.

Anyway having cleaned up the crate, Leyton went into it with a cuddly hot water bottle and a ticking clock and I slept by him on the settee. He got up when I did at three for a wee and then slept right through till seven a.m.

We are very very lucky to have him. I will do the same with the crate tonight and gradually over the wek move the crate back into the kitchen...

Anyone that manages to leave their puppy on their own completely first night is very very brave and i admit i couldn't do it 8)                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 05:06:51 PM »
8) Many congratulations on the lovely arrival of little Leyton  8)

Awww it doesn't sound as if Leyton is doing too badly considering he only woke once during the night  :wink:

Enjoy your little one, you sure have lots of fun times ahead of you :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Sandy J.

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 07:01:06 PM »
I see that the first night wasn't so bad  :)  Good luck with further nights :D

Sandy & Sara