Author Topic: "Talking" in the car  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Oliver21508

"Talking" in the car
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:11:02 PM »
Hiya

Ollie does this weird sound, something between whinging and barking. He's not scared of the car cos he jumps straight in, but he does always want to look out of windows. This is always at the beginning of journeys, he'll settle down and sleep after about half an hour of this. The radio can quieten him down but not always. I'm not sure if it's excitableness, nervousness or what. He wags his tail, so he doesn't cower. On the way back from training classes, he's so tired you don't hear a peap from him. What can we do to stop this? It's very distracting for the driver so could be dangerous.

Offline Biker3

Re: "Talking" in the car
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »
Kaiya does the exact same thing when we take her out in the car.
Its worse when we are going to the local forest park - she knows when I put on my wellies that shes going for a long run and as soon as we get in the car she starts being very vocal. I think its just excitement rather than nerves or fear. On the way back from the forest park she does'nt make any noise as she is worn out with all the running around.
If I put on my normal shoes and them put her in the car, she does'nt make half as much noise  :005:
The Irish Girls - Kaiya(Cocker), Trinity(Collie X) & Adria(Pointer X)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:05:26 PM »
Dogs aren't daft. He probably knows exactly where your going. For example, when i go to go out on a Tues night Tally knows he's coming with me to Ringcraft and on a Wednesday night Avs knows its Agility and the same with Morgana on Sat. All of them are exited in the car in anticipation of whats to come. When we take a gang out to the horses field for their run they know when we turn down the road to the horses field. You should here the weird sounds that come out of my Chinese Crested. He doesn't bark he sings.  :005:  There is always silence all the way home unless you include the sounds of a lot of huffing dogs.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »
Millie whinges pretty much constantly in the car now, I think she's telling me to drive faster cause she can't wait to see where we are  :lol2:. And she goes in the car every day to work so I don't think she'll ever stop now  ph34r. It does sound like he's excited, perhaps try taking him out just for a drive a few times so he doesn't just associate it with a walk/training class etc.  :-\.

Millie

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »
It is probably just excitement.  :-\

Alfie always used to start 'panting' when we go over to the New Forest but he has now outgrown this.  :blink:  Nina makes allsorts of funny noises when she is in the car with my other 2, and has even wee'd in excitement, even as recently as 2 weeks ago and she is now 20 months old! ::)  On the other hand, if she is on her own in the car, she is as quiet as a mouse.  :luv:

I always try to remember that they all have their own personalities, the same as humans, and try not to worry too much if they don't always behave like 'perfect' doglets.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »
The problem is that it's distracting to the driver and incrediately annoying. Is there anything I can do?

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »
I find ignoring it is the best thing to do  ph34r not sure if its the right way to go about it but it works with our lot

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »
I find ignoring it is the best thing to do  ph34r not sure if its the right way to go about it but it works with our lot

I agree.  If you raise your voice and ask them to be quiet, then basically you are 'joining in' with all the noise.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »

The best thing you can do is to actually put him in the car and drive to the shop and get a pint of milk etc and drive home again

As at the moment he associates the car with going to training class etc and he's excited - so you need to get him used to going in the car for a little trip with nothing at the end for him (e.g. in car, to shop, back home)

edited spelling

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »

I agree.  If you raise your voice and ask them to be quiet, then basically you are 'joining in' with all the noise.  ;)

Agree with this too  ;)
Whenever I take Chloe to the beach, within 2 miles of our destination, she's whining and shuffling about in the back of the car, cos she knows exactly where she's going!
We're just back from a wee holiday in the campervan, and her excitement level was off the scale....but I ignored her and my friend made sure she was safely restrained and I just got on with the driving.  I think the driver has to adopt a kind of "switch off" attitude to an exuberant dog....I'm presuming your not the driver, so its your job to keep Ollie calm. Today, we went out in the van, just the two of us, and Chloe sat beautifully in her harness, on the passenger seat.  It's just another one of those training things  :shades: ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 09:00:29 PM »
Both my cockers scream the car down when we go out  :-\ its because they are so excited they know they are going up the fields for a long walk and to play ball.
I wish mine just "talked" they drive me mad  >:D I have tried so many things, nothing works to quieten them. On the way back they are normally silent  :luv:
They are in covered crates too, I try and focus on the radio and sing along.

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 06:23:15 AM »
Ok thanks guys. I guess he's better than most. At least he isn't screaming or barking. :005: We'll keep working with the radio and ignoring him. At least we know it's just excitement as I thought he was scared or something. :)