Author Topic: Anyone own a cocker and still have a nice house/garden???  (Read 4532 times)

Offline smartietopdog

Re: Anyone own a cocker and still have a nice house/garden???
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2009, 02:24:50 PM »
We moved into a brand new house in November, it was beautiful and perfect. :angel:

This is the back door now...

It couldn't have been that innocent, if not slightly drunk-looking, doggy, he wouldn't do that to his new house... :lol2:

God that is so funny! He's almost saying he didn't do it! My first cocker was called Chewitt, say no more!
N, S &C

Offline mcphee

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »
Not too bad here, now Sir is 4. Sometimes I use baracades to alter his way in to the flower beds or protect specific plants. Rufus always returns from walks in hunting mode and used to race down the side passage bound along one raised bed, jump over the next and go straight through a flower bed to make sure all the pigeons and squirrels were moved on. I put up a bit of wooden fence and now he has to go via the patio, so things can grow in the raised bed. The lawn isn't brilliant, but I do try to keep exciting digging areas and burial grounds near the compost and at back of beds. Spring and winter look worse, because of the area of bare soil, but the garden is lovely in summer and I will take piccies. However, now he knows he can almost get the rat which visits, there might be some major damage to the clematis along the rat run along the fence. Asto the house, however many absorbent mats I put down on the utility room floor, Rufus always manages to still have muddy paws by the time he reaches carpet. My animal dyson soon deals with them once they are dry. Chewing furishings etc stopped at about 1. I replaced the underlay, but the carpet remains reduced in area.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2009, 05:37:05 PM »
we never had a nice house/garden to begin with so I was hoping Jarv would do some 'renovating for us'....but he didn't.  >:(

One hole in the garden, just one... and no real damage in the house...we rejoiced when we found a set of puppy teeth marks on the leg of a cabinet...

he's not a real dog  ::)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
we never had a nice house/garden to begin with so I was hoping Jarv would do some 'renovating for us'....but he didn't.  >:(

One hole in the garden, just one... and no real damage in the house...we rejoiced when we found a set of puppy teeth marks on the leg of a cabinet...

Sounds like a male Indie except she isn't as naughty as Jarv, she hasn't left any teeth marks anywhere  ;)

Offline mimimoo

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2009, 08:56:58 PM »
Hiya, well we have a dog flap and the garden up until a month ago was a war zone-  she had a free rein to do what she pleased and she was climbing over a four foot fence into the border and digging up the plants!!. So we have decided to shut our beloved almost 1 year old cocker out in the utility room whilst we go out .  The garden is therefore pleased with this. The grass looks better. In our home we are lucky with but the floor in the kitchen and utility constantly needs cleaning. She is in with the family for alot of the time we are here but do NOT trust her when we are not.  I am very house proud and its a nightmare with our cocker. Good luck with yours!! 

Offline CrunchyMand

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
Now you see I am NOT going to let dh see this thread as he has asked me whether owning a cocker means our house and garden will get trashed. I told him NO  ;) Do you think the cocker will like his prized hot tub in the back garden?  :005:
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline little_jack

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 10:33:09 PM »
Now you see I am NOT going to let dh see this thread as he has asked me whether owning a cocker means our house and garden will get trashed. I told him NO  ;) Do you think the cocker will like his prized hot tub in the back garden?  :005:

:005: Oh dear, just show him the best bits and all the lucky ones who have escaped much damage  :D .

If you would like some 'renovating' Jack said he would be happy to oblige  :005:  :005:

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 09:04:46 AM »
With 3 cockers, 1 cat (we lost 1 at xmas :'(), 2 rats, 1 teenage daughter & my other daughter + an adorable baby grandaughter living here.  (whose just started to crawl :angel:).....what do you think  >:(        Seriously it's not too bad....just have to stay on top of the muddy paws and hair (& that's just the kids :005:) & pooper scooping........any damage is minimal now they are older (5yrs & 2yrs). They still hide things & I love doing the garden in the spring because it makes me smile to find all their buried 'treasures'.........good job hubby works away a lot.....that would just be too much :005: :005: [/img]
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2009, 11:50:33 PM »
No.  ph34r  :lol2:

That door is a fine example of Spaniel Nose Art.  We own many exemplary pieces, plus a seminal work by both our artistes on the car's back window.

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »
Hi there

I have 2 dogs and have had them since they were both 8 weeks old - they joined the household 2 weeks apart so we had two needle teethed pups to deal with. The house fared really well apart from one corner that got chewed by JessieKaKa - she had a go at the plaster but only the once! SaffiWestie chomped the wooden arm of the sofa bed once but they played together all the time so took their teething out on each other rather than on our furniture lol.

The garden has survided pretty well too....see pics below :-

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »
This thread should be restricted so OH's can't view it as it won't help me in my quest to get a 2nd dog (when the time comes)  :005:

Maybe my house isn't as spotless as it was prior to having a dog, but that's more down to the fact that my priorities have changed & I'd rather be walking through a muddy field with Max than washing paintwork down  :lol2:

OK occassionally he'll try & bury rawhides in tubs & he went through a short stage of leaving a few flowers on the door mat  :lol2: but has never wrecked anything (other than chewing his own bed within the 1st few days of coming to us).  Max isn't interested in toys so the few cuddly ones he has tend to be stacked neatly under the hall table (he will fetch me one when I get home but that's about it).  Guess I'm one of the lucky ones
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2009, 12:42:59 AM »
Nope to the garden!! as for the house well!! if ya dust it one day the stuff only returns to haunt you - so take dogs for nice long walkies and you are all too b*njxxed to notice the dust anyway.  :005:

Specially in the summer months - most our time is spent outside when possibubble
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline keepupwith

• Poppy
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »
Poppy was a demon when she was a pup, our newly decorated bedroom had the new skirting chewed, we have plaster out of the kitchen walls and the pine table in the kitchen still bares the scars!! Have 2 say it was all Puppy stuff and she is an angel now- just mucky floors especially when the paws are particularly hairy and splodge everywhere. Our fault as she has a dog flap so difficult to catch and dry wet feet!!

Pam :blink:

Offline little_jack

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »

:o Wow! Reminds me of the dog-free days....  :005: .

Nope to the garden!! as for the house well!! if ya dust it one day the stuff only returns to haunt you - so take dogs for nice long walkies and you are all too b*njxxed to notice the dust anyway.  :005:

Specially in the summer months - most our time is spent outside when possibubble

I like your thinking  ;) .