Author Topic: okay I think I need photoshop next.  (Read 1586 times)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
okay I think I need photoshop next.
« on: April 17, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »
but which one and is it very expensive.. OH has photoshop elements 2 on his banger of a computer  and I have in the past used it to clone out stuff I dont want, BUT I done really know how to use it properly and Id like to be able to do stuff. ie lighten up one specific area of a pic not the whole frame. I can fiddle about in raw but again I really am impatient so really if the shots not right first time Ill bin it. thats the beauty of digital eh?

Offline WILCO

Re: okay I think I need photoshop next.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:39:59 PM »
Unless you want to do some serious fiddling around with your pics it really isn't worth buying the main Photoshop product, CS4. it is far to costly. I run CS2 and haven't upgraded yet as the extra benefits of the latest version aren't worth the money to me just at the moment. I would say the latest version of Photoshop Elements V7 (around £80) will do most if not all you need it to.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »
My Stepdad has Photoshop CS3 and you'd need a degree to know how to use everything on it, it's mind boggling ph34r :005: and it's mega expensive for the latest version of it. I have the updated Elements and it's got pretty much everything you could want to do unless you really want to get into hugely advanced image manipulation. I hardly ever use it though, I don't have the patience to fiddle with the photos once I've taken them. I keep meaning to do it with some of them but never get round to it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »
I've got CS4 Extended and it is uber powerful, but it does take some getting used to, Elements or an older version of photoshop will still do everything you want it to for normal image manipulation

when you get into it and understand layers and masks ... there is a world at your fingertips for creating images from next to nothing ... but it can be a HUGE timehog and does demand a pc with a lot of ram

Phil

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 07:25:21 PM »
I did a photography workshop last year and the tutor recommended Paintshop Pro 8 - it has now been overtaken by a new version so you can pick it up cheaply (I paid about £20 I think).  This guy was a professional photographer and he reckons it does everything you are ever likely to want.  ;)
Julie and Watson