Author Topic: Suggestions on the best food??  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Joeysmum

Suggestions on the best food??
« on: May 09, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if someone can help me, I'm wanting to change Joey from wet food to dry food, as he wont eat his wet food in his set mealtime and prefers to graze on it, whereas if i give him biscets he woofs them up. Currently Ive been changing his Pedigree wet food to Eukanuba medium dry food.

Now Ive been looking on line and found allot of bad reviews about this food, and I'm worried it might not be doing Joey any good. What dry puppy to adult food would everyone recommend? When Joey is old enough I'm wanting to do Agility (If he likes it lol) would this make a difference to what i feed him?

I'm also in the UK so any food i get id have to be able to get it over here.

Thank you for any replies Nessy & Joey

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
Re: Suggestions on the best food??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »
We feed James Wellbeloved.

You'll also see recommendations on here for Arden Grange.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:01:23 PM »
Have used James Wellbeloved for years my 5 love it  :blink:

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:20:10 PM »
i use james wellbeloved for my two as marmite has a dodgy tumm so have to be careful what i feed him

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »
Smudge has Burns lamb and rice with a small bit of Katie's Naturediet added. Katie has Naturediet and wholemeal mixer.

I add a drop of hot water to the Burns and wait for it to swell up a bit as I find he drinks a lot of water if fed completely dry.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline sassnb

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »
oh no I feed mine Eukanuba naturally wild salmon / venison - the first food she actually loves!! is it bad for her? she's a pet, not working, but became a fussy eater until I found this - she'll only eat tiny biscuits, she doesn't like the bigger ones...help!!??

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »
I used to feed JWB which was excellent but recently swapped to Harringtons, which I believe is not bad ingredient wise, still quite natural and half the price of JWB.  Also stocked at asda and tesco so I can get it with my shop, not have to do a special trip like for JWB!

Offline gabbycocker

• Donator
  • Gorgeous Gabby
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »
I feed Gabby (who is 6 months old) Orijen Puppy - she absolutely adores it and has never left any - I changed onto this from Burns as she would not eat the Burns without me adding some wet food to it.
Kerry & Gabby xxxxxx

"My little dog---a heartbeat at my feet." - Edith Wharton

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »
oh no I feed mine Eukanuba naturally wild salmon / venison - the first food she actually loves!! is it bad for her? she's a pet, not working, but became a fussy eater until I found this - she'll only eat tiny biscuits, she doesn't like the bigger ones...help!!??

Its not bad for her but not that good for her either IYSWIM :huh: There are far better foods and if she like small bits of kibble then Orijen is small bits (the only thing i don't like about it   ::) ) but apart from that my 2 love it and has good quality ingredients  ;)
Tis a bit on the expensive side though..although you would feed a smaller quantity than you would the rubbish food  ;)

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:33:16 AM »

I have changed just recently to Barking Heads from Burns. They do a chicken,lamb and salmon and potato. Their puppy food is about to be released.    Jessie was losing weight on the Burns, but has now started to put on weight.   They are on the website www.crpf.org.uk

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 08:53:47 AM »

I have changed just recently to Barking Heads from Burns. They do a chicken,lamb and salmon and potato. Their puppy food is about to be released.    Jessie was losing weight on the Burns, but has now started to put on weight.   They are on the website www.crpf.org.uk

That website is great for learning about what the ingredients list on your pet's food means  ;)

If you want a dry food - good ones that are widely available are Burns, Arden Grange or James Wellbeloved  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline JohnW

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 11:12:14 AM »
We use Sneydds for our adults and Purina pro plan for our pups. both are very good IMO. ;)

Offline hle

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 08:21:24 PM »
We have fed Burns right from the start. I always add whatever we have to it either cooked veg, meat or fish. Cody loves his food although he seems on the thin side. I think that seems to be the norm with Burns but he seems to be healthy and of constant weight so I'm not worried. It is a little more expensive than some 'cheaper' brands but that is no problem.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »
William, castrated male, has been on Burns for about 1 year now and it suits him far better than Arden Grange or JWB did. He tended to put weight on with those and also to throw up a bit of horrid yellow bile most mornings. That hasn't happened since he's been on Burns. His Retriever friend Ruby, who gets colitis and cystitis and puts weight on easily, also does well on Burns.

I think if you read other threads on here you'll find fans of all the above 3 foods, but some COLers have found that their Cockers get skinny on Burns. It's great for William but he's a bit of a couch potato around the house, although energetic on walks and when we do agility.

Offline Elspeth

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 10:54:20 PM »
Orijen household here. the only food Fern has every been excited about eating. She definitely lets us know when dinner time is these days.