Author Topic: Where do you buy chicken wings?  (Read 6527 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Where do you buy chicken wings?
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:36:18 PM »
This is probably a daft question, but I haven't yet found anywhere to buy chicken wings. Neither my local supermarket (Waitrose) or my local butcher sell them, apart from those still attached to the rest of the bird. I could buy legs, thighs, breasts, drumsticks or whole chickens easily enough. So what happens to the wings?

I only need 1 or 2 a week for William and so far those have come from whole chickens. But I don't buy a whole chicken very often as I'm on my own.

Offline goldblend90

• Donator
  • Harley Boy looking good !!
Re: Where do you buy chicken wings?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
Hi

I buy mine from Tescos and get a tray of about 10, and then freeze them into 2 in a bag.

Hope that helps.

Jen & Harley

Offline Rachsparkles

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:53:05 PM »
Sainsburys do them too x

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »
Sainsbury's value range are cheaper then the pet grade ones from our local store  :-\
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:56:56 PM »
Thank you for that. I generally shop at Waitrose because it's closest to home but I'm only about a 20 minute drive from a big Tesco and a bit further to a big Sainsbury, so will do a special trip.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:46:05 PM »
Asda here, they've always got them and they are cheaper than our local butcher too.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »
Asda here, they've always got them and they are cheaper than our local butcher too.

Me too

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 12:10:26 PM »
I get trays of them at Sainsbury's or Morrison's, they tend to be very small though compared to the wings that I take off a fresh bird when I buy one for roasting.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
Please don't laugh, but mine only have free range wings -  mainly because I only buy free range chicken for my family and I felt I was adding to the intensive farming of birds by buying wings for the dogs  ph34r I get mine either from Sainsburys or order them online and pick them up from the farmers market.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »
Please don't laugh, but mine only have free range wings -  mainly because I only buy free range chicken for my family and I felt I was adding to the intensive farming of birds by buying wings for the dogs  ph34r

Snap, all the meat i buy is ethically reared and killed.
For me its the same, its not about the dogs only having free range its about not wanting to support battery farming.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 02:21:38 PM »
Please don't laugh, but mine only have free range wings -  mainly because I only buy free range chicken for my family and I felt I was adding to the intensive farming of birds by buying wings for the dogs  ph34r I get mine either from Sainsburys or order them online and pick them up from the farmers market.

Me too.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 02:23:39 PM »
Please don't laugh, but mine only have free range wings -  mainly because I only buy free range chicken for my family and I felt I was adding to the intensive farming of birds by buying wings for the dogs  ph34r

For me its the same, its not about the dogs only having free range its about not wanting to support battery farming.

Me too , it has to have a tractor on it  :D

Offline SandraD

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 08:01:11 PM »
Found my first chicken wings in Asda.  My local butcher doesn't stock them but can order them in for me from his farmer.  Trouble is, they come in 10lb boxes, think hubby might object to that much meat in the freezer for Monty consumption rather than for us!!  :005: ph34r ph34r

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 10:32:22 PM »
Found my first chicken wings in Asda.  My local butcher doesn't stock them but can order them in for me from his farmer.  Trouble is, they come in 10lb boxes, think hubby might object to that much meat in the freezer for Monty consumption rather than for us!!  :005: ph34r ph34r

We got the dogs there own chest freezer to keep there food in  ph34r

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 10:37:52 PM »

Me too , it has to have a tractor on it  :D

The red tractor (Assured Food Standards) mark doesn't mean that the chickens are not intensively reared, although their quality of life is better than many continentally raised poultry........ :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club