Author Topic: Underwater photographers?  (Read 2241 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Underwater photographers?
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:10:44 PM »
I've been looking for an underwater housing for my Panasonic Lumix TZ3 with no luck  >:(  The model is now old and I can't find the housing anywhere (if anyone knows one for sale ............ ?)

I'm doing my scuba diving course early next year and really want to take pics once I'm abroad!  I went snorkeling in the red sea last year and the coral life was fantastic but my little disposable wasn't giving me the results I wanted (+ it had a film in so after 24 practice shots I had nothing left!).  I'm off to the red sea again in Oct 2010 and hope to go somewhere else earlier in the year.

I think I'll have to fork out for a new camera and housing - any suggestions?  I was prepared to pay about £150 for the housing alone so want to buy carefully!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Re: Underwater photographers?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:17:05 PM »
Wow thanks!  I missed that one - I'm on standby with another company in case they get more in stock.  I'll try your link to see if they have any  ;)

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:09:30 PM »
If you are just starting to dive I wouldn't rush to get camera sorted.  There is so much to learn that photography should come later, we have done our advanced Padi but only have about 16 dives logged and I would not be confident to use a camera.

We had a very scary incident when a novice diver mistook Si for his partner as he was too busy taking photos which resulted in us being separated - I have to say that it was the worst experience of my life and reinforced how important training and experience is....

If you are diving in Egpyt they often have videographers out on the boats which is a fantastic option (ask your dive school as sometimes they get them in on request) - Hurghada have a company called video bubbles but I think they also operate in other areas.

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
If you are just starting to dive I wouldn't rush to get camera sorted.  There is so much to learn that photography should come later, we have done our advanced Padi but only have about 16 dives logged and I would not be confident to use a camera.

We had a very scary incident when a novice diver mistook Si for his partner as he was too busy taking photos which resulted in us being separated - I have to say that it was the worst experience of my life and reinforced how important training and experience is....

If you are diving in Egpyt they often have videographers out on the boats which is a fantastic option (ask your dive school as sometimes they get them in on request) - Hurghada have a company called video bubbles but I think they also operate in other areas.

Thanks - I know what you mean about photography getting in the way.  My holiday buddy was building her confidence when two Russian divers knocked her into a somersault while trying to take a close up!  (think it might have been more the fact that they were Russian)! 

I would use the camera for snorkling - my little disposable wasn't up to it and I saw such fantastic sealife after the film was used up.

It is so expensive (the case is more than the camera cost) so I will think carefully - trouble is I'm an Aries and very impulsive  ::)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »
Debbie

Do a search for 'sea and sea' or 'sealife' on ebay, you can always find 35mm underwater gear on ebay, for the amount you are prepared to pay i think you can get a brand new low end digital waterproof from sealife (Sealife ReefMaster Mini SL320 Black £169 bristol cameras)

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline jla

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 08:23:08 AM »
I am a diver and I do take photos.  I am fairly novice at both diving and underwater photography but found that having something to concentrate on me helped me be a much more relaxed diver and not use air so quick!

I don't go mad for it but have got some lovely shots both snorkeling and diving.  I am selling my first 35mm outfit at the moment on ebay as my lovely hubbie bought me a digiital and housing for Christmas. 

(let me know mods if you want me to delete that last comment although it isn't meant to be anything other than help to the op)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 10:16:05 PM »
Debbie

Do a search for 'sea and sea' or 'sealife' on ebay, you can always find 35mm underwater gear on ebay, for the amount you are prepared to pay i think you can get a brand new low end digital waterproof from sealife (Sealife ReefMaster Mini SL320 Black £169 bristol cameras)

Hamfam - I've looked at the reviews for this and it looks ideal - can't find it at Bristol Camera's?  Do you have a link?

Thanks jla but I would like a digital camera, I've done the 35mm ones and tend to take about 20 photos with just 2 or 3 good ones worth keeping!  Glad to hear there is a positive to taking pics while diving  ;)  I've only done the taster dives so far but will be going for it in 2010!  The red sea was just amazing and I would have loved to have pics of the beautiful sealife  ::)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »
Debbie

Hamfam - I've looked at the reviews for this and it looks ideal - can't find it at Bristol Camera's?  Do you have a link?

Thanks jla but I would like a digital camera, I've done the 35mm ones and tend to take about 20 photos with just 2 or 3 good ones worth keeping!  Glad to hear there is a positive to taking pics while diving  ;)  I've only done the taster dives so far but will be going for it in 2010!  The red sea was just amazing and I would have loved to have pics of the beautiful sealife  ::)

Sorry Debbie, looks like it has been discontinued i found the price on pricerunner - it's still there but you cannot click through to the store.
If you only want to snorkle and aren't likely to go below 3 metres then THIS might do the trick and it comes in lots of girly colours  ;)

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »
3 metres would be plenty for snorkeling (I don't think I have the energy to get deeper than that ......................... although I did when someone threw a bottle of rum in amongst us snorkellers in Cuba .................... I managed to out swim all of them and won the prize  :005: ).  I really intend to do scuba next year so a camera that goes to 30 or 40 metres is a must  ;)