Author Topic: Portrait or photo onto canvas?  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Portrait or photo onto canvas?
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »
Nobody knows what to buy me for my birthday & I have been thinking about a portrait of the boys after seeing these wonderful ones on here recently.
OH stated the obvious - "but you still need to get a decent photo" which then got me thinking - if I love the photo so much could I not just have that blown up & framed (I wouldn't know where to start!) or even put onto canvas?

So I'm open to any suggestions/recommendations please  :D

Has anybody got a cocker canvas?  :lol2:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline jann

• Site Member
Re: Portrait or photo onto canvas?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:31 PM »
I have 'close up' canvas's of the girls ..here  http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/sueflet/canvas2.jpg ...but I would also luv a portrait  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
If you have a Costco card or know someone who does they do reasonably priced photo canvases and they're pretty good.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:49:34 PM »
I have 'close up' canvas's of the girls ..here  http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/sueflet/canvas2.jpg ...but I would also luv a portrait  ;)
:luv: they're lovely Sue  :luv:
Definitely got me thinking now

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:20 PM »
I won a canvas on here with the raffle. I think it was The Pet Print Company? Colin would be able to tell you, or maybe a search on here.

It's fantastic and looks brilliant, I couldn't be happier with it  :blink:

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:24:28 PM »
Perhaps you could get their photos taken professionally at a photo competition at pets at home or the like. I had Poppy done at Jollyes and bought one of the framed photos. She then won the competition and we got a huge portrait of her as our prize. The company are the 'The Dog Portrait Company'
http://www.thedogportraitcompany.co.uk/ Have a look at their upcoming events.

Here is Poppy's picture!

Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
Thanks guys some great info there.  Typical I'm away the dog portrait co are at our local P@H  ::)

I've just found out that someone from agility paints, so I may go that route this time  :D, although who knows when as I'll have to try & take some decent photos first

Offline mooching

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:06:23 PM »
It depends really on what you want.

A photo is two-dimensional, a painting is (or rather should be, as my husband's are) three-dimensional. In a painting the dog's features should "come out" of the painting, right at you. Its eyes should follow you round the room.

A photo on canvas has a limited lifetime, as the colours will fade, even if not placed in direct sunlight. It can also be affected by being placed near heat, or a damp atmosphere. It will be a lot cheaper than a painting, but has a much much shorter life.

A painting, if done with acrylics anyway, won't fade and will last a very very long time. It will even withstand central heating, damp etc without any detriment whatsoever. Water colours will fade, pastels will fade, and oils - well, oils would last, but not many people paint in oils nowadays as it takes so long to dry, and because of the health hazard.

If you do go with a painting, any reputable artist won't be looking for one good photo, but will want several photos, taken from different angles, in order to build up the full three dimensional image of the dog. Any artist who doesn't do this will likely only paint a two-dimensional, limited view of the dog. And they don't have to be "good photos" just photos which show its profiles, eyes, nose shape, coat texture etc.