Author Topic: Please Help - This Isn't Normal  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Barney

• Site Member
  • need fringe trim
Please Help - This Isn't Normal
« on: November 07, 2004, 10:22:45 AM »
Hello

Barney is now 16 months old - and a very happy little man!!

Our problem comes when Barney encounters other dogs on walks. His reaction actaully to any animal not just dogs but anything non human is so strange. A few months ago he had a small fit where he blacked out for a while and then slowly came back .... after this all was fine ... except this reaction to other animals. Basically when he sees for example another dog in the park he makes this high pitched screeching noise  - the kind of noise you would expect from a dog in pain - its so strange!! :unsure:  :unsure: !! Everyone stops to stare - because it sounds like he's in such pain - but all the while his tail is wagging like crazy and he's fine. Once i was walking him through redisential street he spotted a squirrel.... he went stir crazy and then came the high pitch wailing. People were opening their doors to see what the hell was going on :(  - and i just stand there?????

I am a my wits end with it - we love Barney with all our hearts and im starting to think there is a serious problem - everyone we meet say they have never witnessed anything like this and maybe it is a side effect from the fit???  It is becoming really difficult to walk him and not a joy anymore...

The other day a dog walker took him on a pack walk - literally another 20 dogs with him. She says he was absolutely fine no strange squeeling <_<  - im totally confused.

Can anyone help?????

Thanks!!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 11:33:12 AM »
It could just be a throat noise, of excitement. I'd take him to the vet to get anything ruled out, but we do have a cocker who rasps a lot from his throat when he's excited, and it sounds like he's being chokedŽ!

It's comlpetely harmless, the vet said he had an extra wee flap of skin in his larynx, that's what made the noise. I'd ask the vet to be on the safe side.

Shona x
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

scoobie

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 12:02:25 PM »
From my own experience with my cocker Scoobie I think you have got nothing to worry about Scoobie used to scream like a banshee at the sight of a cat a squirrel or anything non human like you said ;) It is pure excitement I just ignored him and he doesn't do it anymore but it sounds terrible as if your beating him or again like you said as if he's in pain..you say other times he's well and great so I wouldn't worry too much but if you do continue to worry take him to the vet just in case there is an underlying problem
Good luck

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 01:04:56 PM »
As he didn't do this with a different handler, maybe he has learnt that he gets a certain reaction from you when he does it?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 05:24:20 PM »
Rchel, that's a very good point.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Barney

• Site Member
  • need fringe trim
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 09:38:56 PM »
it is a good point ... and i thought of that .. but he reacts the same with most people.... it was just interesting that he didn't with that certain dog walker as there were twenty other dogs - i think he was just stunned in2 silence!! :lol:

i am going to take him to the vet tomorrow and get him checked over.... as im sure he just didn't wake up one day and decide to start squeeling like a deranged madman everytime he saw another animal........ i will let you know if there was anything underlying..... i hope not! :unsure:

anyway he's currently wondering around trying to hide his pigs ear from us.... :P

thanks again...  :)  

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 02:53:08 PM »
Was the fit a reaction to seeing other animals?  If it was, it's possible that he remembers having the fit (although they don't usually remember fits) & he screams because he is so scared of it happening again.  I would get him checked over by the vet anyway.  

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 02:59:31 PM »
that sounds like my Livvy. It sounds as though someone is really hurting her. It gets a bit embarrasing sometimes, but we and all our neighbours have got used to her.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Barney

• Site Member
  • need fringe trim
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 06:52:43 PM »
oh okay so there are other dogs out there making this scarey sound  :rolleyes:  - phew.... i will check this out but thank god he isn't the only one.......

i am sick of getting the dirty looks in the park though - i literally hold my hands in the air as if to say im not doing this to him - he's wagging his damn tail............ oooh i do hope he grows out of it!!  ;)