Author Topic: Will my grass recover!  (Read 3288 times)

Offline tornadof3

Will my grass recover!
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
Okay - im sure this question has been asked a millions times before.  Got my pup Archie last August and he is now 8 months old.  However throughtout winter HE has been peeing on my grass and it is covered in burn patches.  I was always proud of my grass!

Question is will it recover throughout summer??? Or is that it dead  :'(

Any tips on what others have done will be good and all advice is muchly appreciated!

Thanks

Offline hedgehog

Re: Will my grass recover!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
At least your boy only pees on your grass, Woody pulls mine up in huge chunks then digs holes which my two big dogs turn into craters, in most places I,m down to soil >:D

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 04:38:12 PM »
strange one that thought it was just bitches pee that burnt the grass floyd is nearly 3 now and we dont have any burnt patches at all sorry cant help

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »
Might be better to rake  out dead patches and re-seed.

Not just bitches that burn grass any pee will. Just dogs normally cocks their legs up walls or trees, so don't hit the grass so much.

To prevent lawn burn you will have to water the pee to dilute it when he does it. Not easy I know  :lol2:
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »
na floyd doesnt cock his leg very often out the back  :embarassed: he is a big girl lol

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 04:47:19 PM »
You want to see my grass :shades: well actually you probably don't it is terrible, its burnt and both Hattie and Millie (now gone) like to eat grass roots and dirt. >:D I used to have a beautiful garden.  This year we are going to try and make it look a bit better by filling in the holes they have made and reseeding.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
I've not tried this myself, but I was just reading the other day that if you add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to your dogs drinking water that it will help with this problem, among all the other good stuff that it does for the dog  :blink:

Even if I don't have burn spots, with 5 dogs I have pretty much resigned myself to having a lawn that looks like the scene of a tank battle  >:( ph34r ::) :005:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »
Not just bitches that burn grass any pee will. Just dogs normally cocks their legs up walls or trees, so don't hit the grass so much.
Sorry to hijack this thread but just wondered ladylola how you were getting on with Eezy Peezy?
I started a thread in shopping (Green ums) when I also complained about the state of my grass  >:( and you said you had ordered some of the herbs.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline tornadof3

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
So the general consensus is - tough!! Bought Dog Rocks but they dont seem to be helping!  Any other ideas....will keep the cider vinegar stored and by when next at asda/tesco

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
Sorry to hijack this thread but just wondered ladylola how you were getting on with Eezy Peezy?
I started a thread in shopping (Green ums) when I also complained about the state of my grass  >:( and you said you had order some of the herbs.

Yes I have got the herbs, but wait for it  [I have no grass  ph34r :005:]  I got them for urinary health and also for when we go down south to our other house, where we do have a big grassed garden. Will be going down there over easter but don't know if I will be able to tell. But then again with 6 of them peeing on it I should be able to.  :005:  Will let you know. They have been having the herbs for a couple of weeks now.
One just isn't enough.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 05:36:29 PM »
So the general consensus is - tough!! Bought Dog Rocks but they dont seem to be helping!  Any other ideas....will keep the cider vinegar stored and by when next at asda/tesco

I tried Cider Vinegar, The dogs wouldn't drink the water with it in, even tho it was just a teaspoon in a big owl  :shades:

I think the dog rocks take about 6 weeks to work. [If they do work that is]
One just isn't enough.

Offline pgt38

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 05:51:40 PM »
As a pup he his food should have a higher ratio of protein than adult food, combine this with the fact that he is probably still crouching and the urine will burn more than when he is adult. The only thing I found was to water the areas he uses to disperse and dilute the urine, rake out burnt/dead grass and reseed areas that were beyond help.

It will get better when you switch to adult food and he starts to cock his leg. But until then......!

Offline Sav

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 06:40:23 PM »

I tried Cider Vinegar, The dogs wouldn't drink the water with it in, even tho it was just a teaspoon in a big owl  :shades:

Have you tried using a different bird?!  :005:

My grass has all gone.  I blame the chickens!  >:( ::)
Just me & my two boys, Jakey & Lenny, the Patterdale Terrier.

Offline Frugal Mule

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
Apparently a couple of tbsp's of tomato juice a day will stop the urine causing burn patches in the grass too.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »

Have you tried using a different bird?!  :005:

:005:   Bowl Sav

My Bs not working on my keyboard unless I give a thump  :shades:

My grass has all gone.  I blame the chickens!  >:( ::)
One just isn't enough.