Author Topic: Is this normal? Or a bad pup :(  (Read 3835 times)

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
Re: Is this normal? Or a bad pup :(
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 08:43:52 AM »
I just love the wall of death and I wish that I had found COL before I had Bonnie Boo because I thought there was something seriously wrong with her. Once I found out it was normal cocker behaviour I just sat back and let her carry on. She is three and a half now and only does it when she is wet. When she comes back from a wet walk after a good towelling down which gets her even more excited my OH opens the back door and shouts "let her rip" and in she goes like a whirling dervish.
The advice on this forum is invaluable and would cost a fortune if you had to pay for it
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline dogsgalore

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »
"The advice on this forum is invaluable and would cost a fortune if you had to pay for it"

Totally agree John!
Kath, Skye plus Jock and Millie

[img]

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »
How strange, Murphy has what we call a hoolie moment when he's wet too!

I do really feel for you. Murphy was a horrid puppy and we thought we had something with serious behavioural problems. We tried everything, our last resort was trying Cesar Milan's methods and as others have said it only made him more excited. We were lucky that we found somebody who is fantastic who helped us with our problems. She suggested holding the scruff if the dog gets nasty, which I was surprised by, but only if the dog isn't wearing a collar etc and you need to get a slip lead on or something to control the dog. You'd only really need to do that if you had a really nasty dog so it can't bite the hand you're holding it with and with the other hand you can guide a lead over it's head. But I've never heard of the scruff being used in any other situation.

We found when Murphy had his hoolie moments it would be at a certain time of the day, first thing in the morning or at between 6.30-7.30pm, then again between 9-10pm so if she has certain times when she does it then make sure you put a lead or house line on her just before that time and when she kicks off she will be easier to control. Another thing we found was that he would usually be horrid when he was tired, in the morning he was just excited to be out of his crate, but at 6.30-7.30 I would have come home at about 5.30 and walked and played with him so in another hour he was tired. He'd get nasty and we'd put him in his crate and he'd almost drop off instantly. Then when he came out about 10mins-30mins later, depending on how long he slept he would be a different puppy. Again he'd be horrid between 9 and 10pm which is when he was tired again as that was his bedtime.

You're very lucky that you've got an sensible older dog who will sort her out. But remember he'll only do that if he gets a positive experience from it. I.e. if he snaps at her then she leaves him alone or settles down. But if he's forced to stay with her against his will he'll probably start to avoid her as much as he can and maybe even become afraid or unnecessarily aggressive with her. I wrote loads on a thread about mouthing a little lower down if you want to have a look at that too.

I really feel for you because they can be so difficult and nobody tells you how horrid they can be. Murphy was our first puppy, although we'd had dogs in the past, so it was a real shock to the system. But on the upside, despite him being the puppy from hell I can now trust him in almost any situation. He's still very excitable and still doesn't always come back at agility and he LOVES anybody else or any other dog and wants to talk to everyone. But at our training class even some of the most aggressive dogs have let him talk to them because of the way he approaches them now, he's also very sensible in that he just rolls over if anything has a grumble at him. He is a delight to have around and despite how horrible he was I wouldn't swap him for anything and hopefully you'll come through this and feel the same about yours.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline black taz

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »
i just wonder if she was jealous of the attention your JRT was getting. 

Kira (8 months Lab) gets jealous when i fuss Taz, she will push her nose in, walk in front of him, etc., roll over on her back, leap about.  I just ignore her until she sits down then stroke her as well.  However, it does sound like your little one is getting quite bosterous, in which case i would take her out of the room for a time out. 

You wouldnt believe some of the noises Taz makes when he is playing (either with Kira or other dogs) it sounds like he is trying to kill them, but most people once i explain its all noise are fine as long as their dogs seem happy (which they usually are).  We just have one guy down the park who avoid us like the plague, and if his dog comes towards Taz he goes mad at his dog to go back to him >:D

Offline oscars mum

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
I was starting to think Lacey had a problem so glad I found this thread. she often goes crazy and then drops to sleep after.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »

Is this normal????? It was obviously directed at my wee dog, who can be pretty nervous at times.  He does play with her when he wants to and when she gets too much he firmly puts her in her place. But I wanted to pet both of them without her trying to jump and rough house with him. (Trying to Cesar Millan stuff – I am the Pack Leader and when I say leave the other dog alone you respect me, see the other dog is mine and don’t touch it or my things until I say).

I haven't read through the other post but just wanted to say that your other dog may have been nervous because of your body language and mood. Especially if he plays with the pup and corrects her when she gets too much.

Millie

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 12:06:35 PM »
I just read this thread as we're picking up Lilah on Saturday and I'm suddenly remember that as well as being a cute ball of fluff, Griffin at that age would do the wall of death, would bounce around with his mouth snapping at air, a foot, your finger or anything else in the way, would run at your feet and made noises that sounded like an old car that won't start.  >:D

I remember he was so bad around 12 weeks old that I burst into tears and begged my husband not to leave for work as I couldn't promise Griffin would be there when he got back.  ph34r He came home that evening to find Griffin and me both crashed out. Want the photo?

So yes, it's completly normal and I'm suddenly wondering whether I should be quite so eager for Saturday to come quickly! The good news is that they do settle down.  :luv:
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »
I remember he was so bad around 12 weeks old that I burst into tears and begged my husband not to leave for work as I couldn't promise Griffin would be there when he got back.  Hiding He came home that evening to find Griffin and me both crashed out. Want the photo?

:rofl1:  I remember feeling like this when we first had Dennis - it felt like my life would never be the same again ! and it isn't but now it's better  cos we have him and Ruby!

I'd definately agree with letting your older dog correct the younger - they do seem to know what is acceptable and what's not  :D

Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 12:20:31 PM »
I remember he was so bad around 12 weeks old that I burst into tears and begged my husband not to leave for work as I couldn't promise Griffin would be there when he got back.  Hiding He came home that evening to find Griffin and me both crashed out. Want the photo?

:rofl1:  I remember feeling like this when we first had Dennis - it felt like my life would never be the same again ! and it isn't but now it's better  cos we have him and Ruby!

I had the same when I got Maggie... I remember one morning my mate turning up to find me sitting on the floor with Maggie asleep on my lap having been going nuts for ages and crashed out, crying my eyes out that "I've made the biggest mistake of my life!!!" and by all accounts her behaviour was mild compared to some  :005: Now, I wouldn't have it any other way and even at her worst, when she's looking at me with "What??? What you gonna do about it?" written all over her face, if I look a second too long my heart melts and we end up squidging  :luv:

As pup's they are trying - but its worth every single second eventually!
Lisa
x
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown