Author Topic: Rawhide chews and tripe sticks  (Read 7549 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Rawhide chews and tripe sticks
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:57:57 PM »
Hi,when I was in PAH today getting the dogs their food I got a pack of rawhide chews and a pack of tripe sticks.

The rawhide chews are large ones and I have just given Cloe,Gem and Benson one each.Cloe and Gem have left theirs but benson(10 months) has been chewing on his for half an hour now,its about 6 inches long,and he loves it.However I seam to remember reading somewere that they are not safe or something like that :dunno:. Does anybody else give their dogs these and are they safe.

I haven't given them any of the tripe sticks yet but I have opened the bag and they smell terrable :020: ,has anybody tried these and does your dog like them.Do you think they will be fattening as Cloes waist line needs watching.

Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks. :D.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Rawhide chews and tripe sticks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:31:36 PM »
Hi,when I was in PAH today getting the dogs their food I got a pack of rawhide chews and a pack of tripe sticks.

The rawhide chews are large ones and I have just given Cloe,Gem and Benson one each.Cloe and Gem have left theirs but benson(10 months) has been chewing on his for half an hour now,its about 6 inches long,and he loves it.However I seam to remember reading somewere that they are not safe or something like that . Does anybody else give their dogs these and are they safe.

I do believe some people wrote about their concern re not leaving their dogs/puppies alone with the hide chews in case they choked on them specially as they seem to go soggy and large bits can get stuck in the throat.

Today I gave Katie, my youngest one of the hide shoes and for the first time in ages she was sick - vomit all over the place, in her bed, and on the carpets  :016: :020: , what I was surprised to see was quite large pieces of said shoe still whole and undigested........don't think she will be having them again  >:D

Glad to report that although not too happy - don't think there was any lasting damage done, just feeling a bit sorry for herself poor luv
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 12:14:14 AM »
Aaarr,poor Katie :016:,I hope shes feeling better soon :luv:.Benson has finally had enough of his chew and left it alone so I have discretely taken it away.I noticed some Blood on it so he must have cut his mouth or gums although I can't see any damage.

I am not sure weather to give it back to him now,he was enjoying it,are there any good alternatives,something safe and edible that he can chew on??

Offline mooching

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:14:27 AM »
I do believe some people wrote about their concern re not leaving their dogs/puppies alone with the hide chews in case they choked on them specially as they seem to go soggy and large bits can get stuck in the throat.

When I asked my vet about them, she was more concerned about the bits getting stuck in the gut, and causing a potentially life-threatening blockage.

Offline mooching

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:15:36 AM »
I am not sure weather to give it back to him now,he was enjoying it,are there any good alternatives,something safe and edible that he can chew on??

How about an edible Nylabone? Or a Dentastix (though this won't last him very long)?

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:34:24 AM »
Thank you Mooching I will look out for the nylabone.Have you ever tried them,I am looking for something Benson can chew on for a while IYSWIM ;).

Offline mooching

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:40:36 AM »
I wouldn't recommend your dog having an Edible Nylabone for when you are swimming - the recommendation is that you are there keeping an eye on them while they are chewing it just in case they get bigger pieces off than they should.

I have only tried my pup on one by accident <hangs head> : I thought I'd given him a regular Nylabone, till it started shrinking......... and he was only 9 weeks old! Thankfully he came to no harm.

Might be best to ask your vet what he/she thinks of Nylabones.

For Benson, how about a Kong with a frozen filling?

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 01:29:18 AM »
Sorry,IYSWIM (if you see what I mean ) ph34r.Not going to let him swim with it,although Benson and Cloe were swimming the other day and playing tug off war with a stick at the same time :005: :005: :D.

Offline mooching

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 01:46:28 AM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! <penny drops>   :005:  I've never seen that acronym before!!  :shades:

Anyway, having done a bit of googling, I can see there are some mixed views on Edible Nylabones - maybe you could ask here about them?

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:30:15 AM »
How about ostrich chews?  They are strandy (like dental floss) so no big bits x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:43:46 AM »
I buy large hide chews, called Retriever Rolls, and let Louis have a chew for a while under supervision if he's being particularly restless. He doesn't get to chew every day and he's a careful and fairly slow chewer. By the time the chew gets down to about 4 or 5 inches long, or if he's unravelling it, I bin it. I don't buy the smaller ones or shaped ones like shoes because I think he'd get bigger chunks off those and maybe swallow them.

TBH I'm not entirely comfortable about him having them at all, but there are times when they're a diversion for him and calm him down when he's being a pain in the bum.

William doesn't like them much at all and if I offer him one he'll often just turn his nose up and walk away, or take it and have a nibble for a couple of minutes before abandoning it.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »
I buy the large hide chews but only let him have them when i am in and when it gets too small I bin it.  The Tripe sticks are great, I break them up and hide them all over and tell him to find them and that keeps him happy for about 15 mins which is great.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »
I will most likely give them the knot chews, just not the shoes as they obviously come apart more easily, causing last night's upset.

Glad to say she has had her food this morning and is her usually bouncy self.  ;)

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 09:09:29 AM »
I will most likely give them the knot chews, just not the shoes as they obviously come apart more easily, causing last night's upset.

Glad to say she has had her food this morning and is her usually bouncy self.  ;)

Glad she's OK this morning. I found with the knot chews that Louis could get the knots off the end quite easily and would then have the whole knot in his mouth  :o, which is why I changed to the large Retriever Rolls. He has to work a lot harder to get anything off them.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 09:14:14 AM »

Glad she's OK this morning. I found with the knot chews that Louis could get the knots off the end quite easily and would then have the whole knot in his mouth  :o, which is why I changed to the large Retriever Rolls. He has to work a lot harder to get anything off them.

aha good thinking  :shades: That should slow them down a bit :005: Thanks