Author Topic: Rawhide chews and tripe sticks  (Read 7550 times)

Offline LindyLou

Re: Rawhide chews and tripe sticks
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 09:24:07 AM »
I am looking for something Benson can chew on for a while IYSWIM ;).

I wouldn't recommend your dog having an Edible Nylabone for when you are swimming

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Sorry, but this really tickled me!!!!!!  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Linda & Baxter

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
Hi,when I was in PAH today getting the dogs their food I got a pack of rawhide chews and a pack of tripe sticks.

The rawhide chews are large ones and I have just given Cloe,Gem and Benson one each.Cloe and Gem have left theirs but benson(10 months) has been chewing on his for half an hour now,its about 6 inches long,and he loves it.However I seam to remember reading somewere that they are not safe or something like that :dunno:. Does anybody else give their dogs these and are they safe.

I haven't given them any of the tripe sticks yet but I have opened the bag and they smell terrable :020: ,has anybody tried these and does your dog like them.Do you think they will be fattening as Cloes waist line needs watching.

Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks. :D.

My dogs occasionally have tripe sticks-when I can stand the smell-they love them                                             

Offline mooching

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »
I've heard some bad stuff about some of the chews................ that some of the ones from China don't say what they are, and aren't beef at all, and could be anything, even dog or cat. :013:

So for me, if I buy any for my pup, I'm going to try and make sure they're beef hide.

Offline mooching

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 11:19:07 AM »
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Sorry, but this really tickled me!!!!!!  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

It ticked me too when I realised what it really was!  :005:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 11:23:08 AM »

I don't buy rawhide, mainly due to the fact that they don't specify what animal the hide is from...  ph34r
But if someone gives her a rawhide present, she is allowed it (with supervision to ensure that there's no risk of large peices being swallowed...)

Paddywack is a good natural chew - it takes Honey a fair while to chomp through it, and it doesn't smell as bad as tripe!!!  Honey also likes dried chicken feet, but they don't last very long...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »

Paddywack is a good natural chew - it takes Honey a fair while to chomp through it, and it doesn't smell as bad as tripe!!!  Honey also likes dried chicken feet, but they don't last very long...

Mine have paddywack sometimes. they both like it and it takes them quite a while to eat, but it's a bit rich for William's tum unless it's a really small piece.

They haven't had chicken's feet, but Louis found a dead pheasant leg and foot once when we were out walking and crunched it up with great delight  :005:

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »
Thank you all, plenty of good ideas and advice,have seen the paddywacks in PAH so will give them a try.Never seen the ostrich chews tho were do you get them from???
Had a look at the chews that I got for the dogs and it does not say what type of hide there made from and they are from china so they will go in the bin :013:
I tried the tripe sticks to day and they all loved them although Benson spent 5 minutes rolling on his first :005: :005:

Offline Mrs B

• Butter wouldn't melt!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
My MIL gave Cinders a raw hide whilst she was doggy sitting when we went on holiday recently.  I must admit I was not impressed as Cinders has got such a delicate tum that it doesn't take much to upset it and I wouldn't have dreamt of giving such a thing.  Anyhow when we got back from hols Cinders came running over to us with what looked like a soggy quaver in her mouth - the remains of a raw hide!  MIL thought she had thrown it all away (hidden the evidence is more my bet coz she could see I wasn't too impressed!!!).  Anyway a couple of days later picking up Cinders' poop I noticed a couple of rather large hard pieces of raw hide in it - I told hubby and made him ring her straight away to say that Cinders wasn't to have them again.  MIL couldn't understand why we were so upset about it!!!!!

GGGRRRRRRRR!
Mrs B & Cinders xx

Offline ruraich

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 12:00:41 PM »

I don't buy rawhide, mainly due to the fact that they don't specify what animal the hide is from...  ph34r
But if someone gives her a rawhide present, she is allowed it (with supervision to ensure that there's no risk of large peices being swallowed...)

I gave ours paddywack and it kept the pup (supervised) occupied for ages but one of the older dogs crunched his up and then proceded to sick it up - fortunately outside! No wonder! as the bits were very jagged :o 

Offline Birdie Wife

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »
Cari loves the tripe sticks but they do have the disadvantage of being really stinky (she doesn't think of it as a disadvantage though!). I think they are more digestible than the rawhide sticks and not as fatty, but they don't last quite as long either. I stopped giving her the rawhide knots too, for the same reason as elaine.e, but she's more than happy with the rawhide cigars.

Offline LandS

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 05:28:37 PM »
Sorry to hijack but what do people think of pigs ears for pups?

My older one has one very occasionaly and today the nine week old puppy has got hold of it... I have sat watching him chew on it for two hours and other than making it a bit soggy nothing has come off so I am happy that he isnt going to choke.

What has made me even happier is that he would have spent two hours teasing and nipping the older one unless I keep guard and this pigs ear has brought calm to the house... :005:

Offline mooching

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 07:14:34 PM »
Sorry to hijack but what do people think of pigs ears for pups?
I asked my vet surgery and they said ABSOLUTELY NOT - because of the danger of pancreatitis (because they are so fatty).

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 08:27:14 PM »

You can get diet ears which are less fatty....  ;)

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 10:39:15 PM »
Please be careful with rawhide chews.Fiona (rats and dogs) only yesterday put a post on facebook about a dog at the vets she works at that was given a rawhide chew and unfortunately died through choking on it
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »
Please be careful with rawhide chews.Fiona (rats and dogs) only yesterday put a post on facebook about a dog at the vets she works at that was given a rawhide chew and unfortunately died through choking on it
Oh thanks for that, i must have missed that post.. Just put what was left of Selbys rawhide chew in the bin and certainly no more now.  How awful for the poor little doggy.