Author Topic: Tips needed Jasper wont settle at night  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Tips needed Jasper wont settle at night
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »
You can get DAP sprays/plug ins and collars to help settle pups/dogs.  It's a synthetic copy of the natural dog appeasing pheromones proven to help support puppies and dogs in stressful situations.  It may help! For more info on it, visit their website www.dap-pheromone.com   :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Dubby

• Jasper
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
Jasper just been toilet and its still very loose, with jelly like substance in it. Any ideas?.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
When I brought Odie home from the breeders, he has very loose stools with mucas like substance and blood in it for a couple of days.  I took him to the vets and he had colitis.  Odie had an injection and some antibiotics and within about 5 days was better.  Get it checked out if you are worried.  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »
please don't fall for the puppy dog eyes,I did when I had my first cocker a golden one and boy did I regret it.  You must stay firm  or little jasper will rule your house. I know it's hard at night when they are crying but like  jeanette, I think you are not feeding him enough to settle him at night. 

Dianne x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »
oh yes I forgot DAP is the plug in thing I mentioned earlier, ask your local pet store about them. x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »
Thats great thanks, but whats DAP spray ?. With regards the feeding, the breeder didnt give us a plan but stated that not all the food that was put down was being eaten. On that note would you sugest leaving some puppy biscuits down or feed before bed? . His poo's have been a bit loose too kepping an eye on them just incase trip to vets is needed. As previously posted this is our first puppy and it all a bit worrying especially with no sleep. It was easier bringing up my kids, and they wasnt in crates. :lol:

Quinn is nearly 13 weeks and he still has his last meal at 8.30 - mind you this is the smallest meal of the day and is a handful of his kibble, he doesn't go bed til I go which is about 11.00 pm - he has one fish tiddler for snack at bedtime, only because Indie runs to her crate at bedtime for her biscuit so can't do one without the other.   

Offline mooching

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 08:20:08 PM »
Its a mixture of rice and chicken flavoured puppy pedigree and puppy pedigree bicuits. Ideally we want him on dry food at some point. Im a bit unsure about the crate idea as weve started trying alone in kitchen. Although there are alot of good reports about doing it. Think im just a big softy and fall for the puppy dog eyes and whimpering.

Gentle and easy crate training is the way to go. It's not just shut the pup in and leave him, there's ways of being very relaxed and natural about it.

Alfie loves his crate and chooses to nap in there - has done since he was 8 weeks old. He will often get down off our laps and toddle off into the kitchen, get into his crate, sigh and stretch out.

Even tonight, we had to go to a meeting at my daughter's school, so I tooled up his Kongs, said "bed Alfie", he hopped into his crate, was excited to see the Kongs and didn't bat an eyelid as I closed the door. And was quiet as a mouse when we came home an hour an a half later.

Offline Dubby

• Jasper
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
What size crate do u think I need . He's only a titch our cat is bigger . We are going to see how he is tonight . I'm hoping that if I go for a crate we won't be taking a step backwards with potty training

Offline lauraoc1

• 15 weeks and gorgeous!
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »
i would definitely try a crate. I have used one since day one of harvey being home. He is still whimpering a bit in it at night but fit is definitely improving. The one time i let him roam in the lounge, he was whining and worse.

Offline mooching

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 08:55:20 PM »
What size crate do u think I need . He's only a titch our cat is bigger . We are going to see how he is tonight . I'm hoping that if I go for a crate we won't be taking a step backwards with potty training

We have a 24" crate for Alfie, which means we will likely need to buy a 30" when he is older.

A step backwards? Crating a pup usually means they're toilet trained earlier, because they get used to being taken outside straight from their crate. Alfie has been toilet trained since he was around 14 wks old (and that's without using any training pads or newspaper).

Offline mooching

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 09:08:09 PM »
Its a mixture of rice and chicken flavoured puppy pedigree and puppy pedigree bicuits. Ideally we want him on dry food at some point.
It would be quite easy to introduce a good quality kibble, just by substituting a little for some of the mixer biscuits, and slowly increasing. Then, once he is eating the Pedigree Puppy Food plus all kibble, you can then again gradually increase the amount of kibble and decrease the amount of the canned food.

Offline Dubby

• Jasper
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »
Well I'm not sure what's goin on I've taken the advice and given jasper a snack, he was taken straight out for wee which he did. Had a little play now he's out like a light can't keep him awake. This is a problem coz I can now see the night ahead will be a long one

Offline harleys mum

• Site Member
  • Harley & Rio....butter wouldn't melt!
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 09:46:18 PM »
I know there seems to be an overriding consensus towards crates, but we chose not to crate Harley or Rio.  I cannot even begin to tell you what the first two nights with Harley were like (!!!) needless to say that none of us got any sleep, and Harley spent his first two days trying to sleep on my feet whenever I tried to stand for more than a couple of minutes in one place, he was soooo tired, even though he had his own basket - blankets - toys - litter blanket etc.  Our vet said he seemed a little stressed and suggested we have his basket upstairs at night, in our room (if we didn't mind) as dogs are a pack animal and are just not genetically inclined to sleep alone.  We tried this and I can honestly say we have had peace ever since.  I know this solution is not for everyone but it worked for us....GOOD LUCK!
Lu

Offline mooching

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »
Well I'm not sure what's goin on I've taken the advice and given jasper a snack, he was taken straight out for wee which he did. Had a little play now he's out like a light can't keep him awake. This is a problem coz I can now see the night ahead will be a long one

How come?

I'd suggest you wake him in a hour or so and take him outside for a wee, then settle him again.

Offline Dubby

• Jasper
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 09:53:31 PM »
I hear what your saying and it's the same here . He will try anything to sleep on one of us. I've got concerns with him being with us as he's not potty trained yet and he having accidents through the night from both ends although he Is trying to keep to paper and pads  . This is all new and there's so much info and advice about , who knows ?