Author Topic: What do you feed ?  (Read 6385 times)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: What do you feed ?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 04:32:40 PM »
My 3 are BARF fed, Sara. A bone meal for breakfast i.e chicken carcass/turkey neck/lamb ribs etc & groung meat/bone/offal or fresh fish for tea with blixed fruit/veg & herbs. They've been on this diet for over 9 months & doing very well. Prior to this they were on BURNS brown rice & fish, mainly, as it was the only one Purdey could tollerate due to her many allegies.  ;)  
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »
Morgan has Burns twice a day, chicken wings about 3 times a week, an occasional raw egg, Fish4 dogs sea jerky treats, a daily carrot (as soon as the grooming is over :D) and a bedtime biscuit which is either homemade or JWB Crackerjacks.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »
4 of mine are on JWB and 2 on Pro Plan my pup(20 weeks) is on Pro Plan Puppy. I have used JWB for 15 yrs or so but am now changing them all over to pro Plan but I have to finish 3 big bags first, but that won't take to long  :005:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 05:20:12 PM »
We recently changed Meg over to Naturediet (from Arden Grange) as we were recommended by my aunty who's cocker also has hypothyroidism and so far she's doing good. She has a small handfull of Alfie's kibble in each meal though to give her teeth something to crunch.
After lots of trial and error Alfie is now on Challenge dog food (salmon maintenence) which he is also doing very well on- nice firm poopies and shiny coat. He has a spoonful of Meg's ND too so he isnt left out ;).
They sometimes get raw chickenwings instead of their tea but morrisons only do them in big portions and when we freeze them we always forget to defrost them :005: so if anybody knows of anywhere that does them in smaller portions please let me know :D

Emma xx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 05:21:38 PM »
Chloe has always been fed Burns. I mix it with a teensy bit of NatureDiet, or sardines or a raw egg (the egg is very occasional though, as she does the most horrific farts after eating one  ph34r :005:) She gets chicken wings or drumsticks about twice a week for her evening meal. Also, carrots go down well as treats and her highest value treat (for recall only) is undoubtedly dry fried liver! I have been considering changing her from Burns to something a bit less expensive, but am not sure exactly what I should be looking for in terms of ingredients, so if anyone has any advice on that score, I would appreciate it!

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »
Mine are mainly fed on Fish4Dogs kibble but we also use the frozen freeflow mince stuff from P@H, chicken wings, sardines & Applaws sachets (looks soooo yummy  :P) for a bit of variety. Treat wise they get the Fish4Dogs stuff & JWB incentives (think thats what they are called - small tub of fishy flavoured training bits)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »

They sometimes get raw chickenwings instead of their tea but morrisons only do them in big portions and when we freeze them we always forget to defrost them :005: so if anybody knows of anywhere that does them in smaller portions please let me know :D

Emma xx

We often buy chicken wings at Morrison's and haven't come across this problem, are you buying them fresh or ready frozen? We buy the fresh ones, about 8 or 9 in a pack and bag them up separately to freeze them. When we want any of them we put them (still in their bag) into a bowl of warm water to defrost quickly as Morgan gets very excited as soon as he detects them.  :luv:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »

Honey is fed a raw diet - closer to the prey model than BARF as we don't tend to add fruit/veg.

She gets chicken wings, lamb bones, pork ribs, lamb heart, beef heart, tripe, liver and tinned fish over the course of a week - plus other bones/meat if it's about (rabbit, beef etc).
She gets dried fish and dried chicken feet for a good treat, and small peices of cheese and sausage for training treats... or when I'm feeling lazy the natures menu treats.  We did use coachies, as they are free from additives, but they don't seem to agree with Honey...  ph34r

She also gets occassional other treats - she walked home very proudly yesterday carrying her whole pizzle!!!!  Meant she didn't even bark at the German Shepherd we met!!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
my 2 are fed a raw holistic diet which consists of a holistic wholebake, blended fruit and veg with raw meat or fish. They also have chicken carcasses/legs/wings etc and the odd marrowbone. I add salmon oil and keepers mix and occasionally they have cottage cheese/natural yoghurt/pilchards/sardines/egg added aswell.

They use to be on skinners duck and rice and it suited them well but i decided to switch them to raw to see if it would help with my labs ear problems and thankfully he's alot better on the raw :D

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 07:06:24 PM »
Fed only once a day.  CSJ mixed with fish in oil most days, with left over veg.  Raw Chicken wings a couple of times a week instead.   Bananas, carrots, apples as treats.

Offline fizzyntiffy

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
My two have Chudleys lamb & veg (with a hint of mint) with a dollop of tinned butchers twice a day.  They have a bonio or a dentastick after evening din dins for their teeth.  Egg once a week, leftover veggies, the odd carrot, a gravy bone first thing in the morning, when I come in from work, and last thing at night.

Offline Scarlett

• Julie & Scarlett from Greece
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
Scarlett is about to finish the royal canin medium and move to all in one natural dog food.
In between she has yogourt, raw carrots, chicken wings and boiled eggs.
During the weekends she will have nature diet:)

"Of all the dogs that are so sweet
The Spaniel is the most complete.
Of all the Spaniels, dearest far
The little loving Cockers are."
Ernest Howard Shepard, Mc Obe 1879 - 1976

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 07:28:31 AM »
Dennis and Ruby are both Barking Heads Kibble for breakfast - a few times a week I add some salmon oil and for dinner more Barking Heads and either Naturediet, pilchards, sardines or eggs  :D
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 08:32:43 AM »
My 4 get a raw diet. I follow Juliette de bairacli levy's natural rearing diet.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »
Rio and Blue are on Burns Lamb and Rice (always soaked), mixed with a bit of Naturediet; chicken or whatever I have.  They get sardines in oil once a week, and eggs also.