Author Topic: Any MAC users please?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
Any MAC users please?
« on: October 02, 2010, 06:53:49 AM »
It's OH 60th in a couple of weeks and I've made us destitute  splashed out on the desktop imac just for him  :luv:  I haven't set it up properly yet, but son is asking if there would be any software he could buy OH may be interested in - he's a sports freak, ie rugby, golf, F1 (not footie though) I haven't a clue - any ideas anyone ??

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: Any MAC users please?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »
I'm not aware of any 'sport' games available for macs...   :huh: 
the iLife software is very good for photography, movie, dvd creation etc.. iLife used to come free with the iBook, iMacs etc not sure if it still does or not, but that could be an option if not. Or possibly the new magic mouse.. or the magic trackpad.. they are very cute, and quite good as you use gestures on the pad instead of moving a mouse.

There's also microsoft office compatible software set called iWork .. which has a word, excel and powerpoint equivalent, you can open microsoft office docs within it and save the docs in office format so none macs users can open them etc. Might be useful?
 :)

Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
you could get a microsoft package for mac - so your excel and word documents are compatible  ;)

have a look at http://www.apple.com/macosx/
helen & jarvis x

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
You will find that lots of software is compatible with Apple now.  :D
When I had my first Mac (a lovely purple one) there was very little that was compatible  >:(
but now there are lots. :D
This site offers lots of choices for games.

http://www.macgames.co.uk/browsesport.html
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »
Thanks everyone - those ideas look helpful  :shades: the microsoft package is a must I think - I've still to set the computer up, ie connect to internet etc., I've been hiding it in the top floor washroom  until OH is out of the house long enough for me to get involved........  I've got until next Thursday...  ph34r

Dillon the Cavvie

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:36:03 AM »
I was in the Apple shop yesterday, apparently there is an 'app store' being launched end of November for the imacs - works the same way as downloading  apps / music for the iphones and itouchs - and should be a lot more software available when it's launched :0)

It might be worth giving him an IOU for software and waiting to see what's available once the store is available on line
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 08:52:31 AM »
I'm absolutely No expert but myself and all my sons use macs for business and pleasure.

If you click on the Apple symbol top left on your mac and click Mac Software in the drop down box it should take you take you to part of the Apple website dealing with software for your mac. Perhaps your son might like a look.  It has sample/freebies of new software of all kinds. Its a good way to have a play with a game/package that's new before you commit to buy too. I'm sure your son will enjoy trying some out! Beware if you have a limited download allowance before you let him free on this site - very addictive! I'm also not sure your husband will see much of his new computer once your son has been there!

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:24:41 PM »
Thanks for your replies everyone  ;)  OH is delighted with his imac, and has found it very easy to use (after his Dell laptop whose screen  had turned pink  :005:) in particular he loves the magic mouse and gets on really well with the keyboard - things I thought he would struggle a bit with  :shades: but no, he's a happy bunny and he's found the sites you have both mentioned, so not enough hours in the day for him ..... :-* son is miles away, so he'll be wanting to visit us soon I expect  :005:

Dillon the Cavvie