Author Topic: Do Cocker's feel the cold?  (Read 6645 times)

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
Do Cocker's feel the cold?
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:58:07 AM »
This is probably a really daft question but I wondered if people with different coloured cockers thought differently. Murphy's nearly 2 and is sable and I think he might feel the cold. His coat isn't very thick and I noticed at a recent show and at agility (which were both in indoor arenas) his skin felt really cold and he almost walked with a bit of a hunched back, much like a horse does if its feeling the cold, and as soon as he got in the car he snuggled into a little ball in my fleece lined coat. I am thinking of getting him an equafleece, or something of the like, so he can wear something while we're hanging around outside in the winter, and something he can wear to help dry him off if he is wet after a walk or a bath. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I being soft? I wondered if maybe the golden types had a thinner coat and would be more prone to this?
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: Do Cocker's feel the cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »
My two workers have very thin coats and they both definitely feel the cold. They are fine when running around but as soon as they stop for a while they can get shivery, especially if a little wet

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
My black Cocker has a very thin coat and shivers as soon as he stops doing whatever was previously keeping him busy and warm - it's my goldie boy that has a fantastic thick coat.  I think the answer to your question is undoubtably a yes.......both my boys work and between the drives, lunch times and on the journey home, we have no worries about putting a coat on them....they both visably shiver.

By contrast, my lovely Labrador has a super double coat - keeping her cool in summer and warm in winter but even she shivers and likes to be wrapped up in a towel when she's sodden :lol2:  (she likes it a little too much ;))

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
Bob is black with a heavy coat, and he dose fill the cold,
In the summer he is happy to sleep in his own bed, in my room
But now it is cold he gets in my bed with me....

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:11:07 PM »
poor Murphy... Billy is the same and has to wear his equafleece in the cold weather otherwise he shivers and gets an upset tum  ::) i've just got him a nice thick coat to put on after agility too as he tends to shake once back in the car... He really does feel the cold unlike my lab, who still insists on swimming even when its freezing  ph34r

Billy sends Murphy some warm snuggles  :luv:  :005: :005:

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:52:17 PM »
My oldie boy Charlie at 11y/o does feel the cold although prefers cold weather to warm weather.  he had his equafleece on today for the first time this winter
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
I am sat with Heidi trying to warm her up after her walk.  She is wet but it isn't that cold but she's shivering like mad. definately should of taken her out in her equafleece  :shades:

She is the only one of mine to seriously feel the cold

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
Spose they are like folk - while I am huddled up in a shirt, jumper and coat, my friend has a short sleeved blouse on Brrr

Think Smudge (gold) feels the cold more than Katie, but it could just be an excuse to get extra cuddles and snuggles  :005: ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 04:45:49 PM »
Maddi has a very thick coat, but shivers when wet.  I am about to attempt to measure her for an equafleece. 

Murphy has a thinner coat with him being a worker, and he doesn't shiver - if he does shiver it's because (a) he is unwell, needing the loo urgently or (b) sitting on his waggly tail  :005:

Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »
Paddy feels the cold and shivers. We just had a week on the solway and I took him on a couple of evening flights, the lab curled up and showed no sign of the cold, Paddy wore a camo coat and still shivered.
Milly

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
I'm sure they do feel the cold. All dogs are different though, so some might and others not. Mine in general seem fine with the cold. The one thing that does make them feel it is getting wet. Especially Morgana who will come home and curl up in a tight ball, bless her. Mind you it doesn't stop her getting wet. She is the only one of my dogs that can always get wet even on a dry summers day.  :shades: :005: None of them seem to feel it when out especially again Morgana as she never stops when out, but it's when they get home I think they feel it more.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 05:43:33 PM »
I'm sure they do feel the cold. All dogs are different though, so some might and others not. Mine in general seem fine with the cold. The one thing that does make them feel it is getting wet. Especially Morgana who will come home and curl up in a tight ball, bless her. Mind you it doesn't stop her getting wet. She is the only one of my dogs that can always get wet even on a dry summers day.  :shades: :005: None of them seem to feel it when out especially again Morgana as she never stops when out, but it's when they get home I think they feel it more.

Morgana sounds like Henry. Could use them in the desert to lead you to water!! he always looks like he's been swimming. Think he's getting more wussy as he gets older. Currently he's obbessed with getting a towel rub down after a walk. even when he's not got wet   :shades: maybe its coz i keep the towel warming on the radiator! He lives the life i tell you. Poor horse stuck out in the field all day gets nothing like the dog gets!
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »

Morgana sounds like Henry. Could use them in the desert to lead you to water!! he always looks like he's been swimming. Think he's getting more wussy as he gets older. Currently he's obbessed with getting a towel rub down after a walk. even when he's not got wet   :shades: maybe its coz i keep the towel warming on the radiator! He lives the life i tell you. Poor horse stuck out in the field all day gets nothing like the dog gets!

:011: Sounds the same as here.  :shades: :005: My lot also love to be towl dried.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »
Ellie definitely feels the cold.  She has an equafleece put on her during a walk if we stop anywhere for a coffee (which is usually all the time) and today she has spent all day on the bed with a fleece blanket over her, as she won't go out if it rains.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »
My little cocker Rosie feels the cold she has a little pink fleece nightie for the colder nights and a coat for cold days out walking  :blink: