Author Topic: will they be ok in the awning????  (Read 1911 times)

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: will they be ok in the awning????
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »
There is no way you will wait until Easter  :005:  You will break waaaayyy before that!!  :lol2:  Book a night or two at a local caravan site and give it a go  :shades:

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 06:28:35 PM »
oh ok then, youve talked me into it :005:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 06:34:17 PM »
:clapping: :banana: :cool4:  :lol:

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
what can i say, im easily led!!! ;)

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 06:39:56 PM »
When I go camping or go away and stay in someone else's house my 2 sleep with me (whereas normally they don't) and to be honest it doesn't affect them one bit - I would prefer it this way as I would lie awake worrying about them + they prefer to be with me when I'm away anyway.

Agree totally PennyB.  I would be the same. I  certainly couldn't sleep if mine were far from my side, in a strange environment.

I don't trust the world enough to leave mine in an awning.   I would never forgive myself if something happened to them.  
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »
You will love caravanning with Ebony its fab.  My OH said the same as you the dogs would stay in the awning in the crate so as to keep routine  (I had other plans  :005: :005:)  This has never happend in the 3 years we have had the caravan  :005: I just couldnt settle with them outside, I was nervous that they would find an escape route  :005: :005: and wouldnt be able to forgive myself if anything happend to them.

Diesel and Olli sleep in their beds in the caravan with us where I know they are safe and sound, when we get home its back to normal and has not effected the routine.

:luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »
When we had our caravan, one of the best bits for me was the fact that the dogs slept with us!!! At home, they all sleep downstairs but in the caravan, 2 slept on the double bed with me, and the others had their own special "holiday" crates..... It was great fun and the dogs certainly didn't seem to be spoiled by being allowed on the beds - they just loved it and when they came home, they went straight back to their usual sleeping routine.
You will be hooked after your first trip.
Just a note of caution - please do make sure you have separate insurance for your caravan.  Don't assume it is covered by your car insurance, cos it isn't.
Luckily we were insured but have heard many horror stories of people buying caravans and not getting them insured.
Have fun and I am sure you will love it.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
When I go camping or go away and stay in someone else's house my 2 sleep with me (whereas normally they don't) and to be honest it doesn't affect them one bit - I would prefer it this way as I would lie awake worrying about them + they prefer to be with me when I'm away anyway.

Agree totally PennyB.  I would be the same. I  certainly couldn't sleep if mine were far from my side, in a strange environment.

I don't trust the world enough to leave mine in an awning.   I would never forgive myself if something happened to them.  

Me too. Ours all sleep downstairs at home, but when we're camping they're all in with us. I'm afraid that there is no way any of my dogs would be sleeping in an awning.... unless I was there with them.  ph34r

Having been camping alot and having had my awning broken into without knowing it until the morning, I just wouldn't be able to sleep unless my dogs were with me. I have never had any problems getting them back into routine at home.

Besides.... I love having the dogs on the bed, makes it loads warmer for them and me!  :005:
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Bev

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
we used to have a caravan and Arnie would sleep by my head snore then go under the bed then back by my head and thats the only time he would sleep with us,oh i do missmy caravan

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
Our kids do sleep in the awning!!  We have a 5 berth tourer and there are 6 of us so our eldest 2 sleep in an annex in the awning.  I must say, their sleeping bags are the 4 season kind as it does get cold very early in the awning.  They tried sleeping in the van with us but they were too hot all squished up.  Anyway, Our dogs usually sleep together but when we are camping, Ruby (8) sleeps with me in the van and the two younger ones sleep in crates in the awning.  They even have there own sleeping bags to keep them warm. 
Only time our arrangements went out the window was when we were camping beside Loch Lomond and the midges tried to eat the kids and dogs alive.  We hid in the caravan and left in the morning looking like we had chicken pox!!
Like others have said, cockers can get out that small gap and open the zip of the awning.  Mine have!  A lot of people take long lines to attatch to the caravan handles.
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 09:07:36 AM »
thanks penelope, we had already sorted caravan insurance but appreciate your advice :D

im so confused as to whether to have them with me or in the awning,......although am leaning towards cocker cuddles with me all night, especially since ebony is so snuggly ;)...but she does snore  :-\

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 09:18:28 AM »
You are all gonna have great holidays, and fun in the van whatever you decide to do.

At least it is somewhere you can take your dogs with you, instead of them having to be kennelled.   :luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
You are all gonna have great holidays, and fun in the van whatever you decide to do.

At least it is somewhere you can take your dogs with you, instead of them having to be kennelled.   :luv: :luv:

Ebony has only been in kennels once for 4 days, and didnt cope at all....she didnt eat at all, and just laid by the door crying apparently. :'(...i was really cross they didnt call me, as i would have got someone to go get her.

So have decided that if she's not on holiday with me, my mum and dad are gonna come and dog sit, as ebony loves my dad.... :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
Don't get too anxious about where Ebony will sleep, it is one of those things that will work itself out. The awning does get very cold at night, that's where we store our wine/beer  :005: Makes a great outside fridge!  2 out of my 3 snore as does himself  >:( but we are all usually so tired that we would probably sleep through an earthquake!  On our first trip away, I had lovely beds for the dogs, made them all up, very cosy and snuggly, and they ignored them!!! Go with the flow, it will all happen  ;)

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
thanks penelope, we had already sorted caravan insurance but appreciate your advice :D

im so confused as to whether to have them with me or in the awning,......although am leaning towards cocker cuddles with me all night, especially since ebony is so snuggly ;)...but she does snore  :-\

I always wear ear plugs when camping or caravanning cos my eldest dd snores let alone the dog! You could take some just in case... :D
Paula & Freddie x