Author Topic: Differences Between Working Cocker and Working Springer  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Wyrd

Differences Between Working Cocker and Working Springer
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
Could anyone tell me what the main differences are between Working Cockers and Working Springers?

Since I have been spending more time with my mothers Working Springer I am becoming a Spaniel convert  ph34r I've always liked the Working Cockers and the extra colours they come in.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Differences Between Working Cocker and Working Springer
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:51:03 PM »
I grew up with working Springers and my parents still have them. Generally speaking physically Springers are bigger than Cockers, stronger and more powerful overall. Again generally speaking they are easier to train than Cockers, a bit less stubborn and less sensitive and 'needy' and if you wanted the best all round, all purpose gundog it's going to be a Springer. For me with Cockers I love their character, I think they are more of a challenge and have more humour about them and I like their movement and I just really enjoy working them. There's a reason why Springers are so massively popular as working gundogs though, they do deserve it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Wyrd

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:51:24 PM »
I already have a very stubborn Dalmatian, I like the fact my mums Springer is so easy  :005:

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:20:22 AM »
Totally agree with Nicola - lot more hardy with great bounce-back ability.....them Cockers do take things a bit personally ;)

One thing we have noticed if any dog is going to have a bit of rip it will almost always be the Springers because of their gung-ho hunting style.  They're extremely brave dogs :luv:

If I compared the 'loving side'  - it would seem the Cockers enjoy human company a lot whereas the Springers do like to take themselves off for some 'quiet' time....just my observation though....I am sure there are some equally soppy Springers out there :luv:

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
Nicola has it spot on!!  I have a working springer and she is our first 'venture' into springers but I think she may have converted us.  She was/is so easy to train and has full-on eye contact constantly.  I feel like she is mind-reading when she does that :005:.  Truely a fabulous dog.  When you ask the cockers to do something, they need to know what's in it for them but springers just do it for the pure enjoyment of completeing a task.  No competition for me, I would have a working springer everytime(although not a B&W as they have too much collie for me)
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?