Author Topic: when to stop giving 4 feeds  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Pam501

when to stop giving 4 feeds
« on: September 09, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »
Hi there - could anyone tell me the best time to stop giving 4 feeds a day please and are you supposed to give as much good as your puppy wants?  I'm having a problem knowing what's best.  Toby was ravenous when I brought him home last Thursday so I increased his food but this morning he didn't quite finish his breakfast so will decrease it slightly now.  I'm feeding him roughly every 5 hours.  I was also just wondering if I should only be feeding him three times a day now.  Toby is 13 weeks old.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pam

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
Re: when to stop giving 4 feeds
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »
He should be on 3 now and be fine for it if he is not showing any signs of giving up meals (most will some don't) and maybe take away one of the meals ive heard some dog owners do this and don't have any problems.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
The normal protocol is 4 meals a day until 4 months old, then down to 3 until 6 months old and then 2 meals after that. I would not reduce to 3 meals at only 13 weeks old, especially as he is eating his meals quite well. I'm not sure what Toby's story is but if you got him from the breeder, you should have received info about how many meals and how much roughly to feed from them - it's not very good if you didn't :-\
Jane

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »
I agree with Jane, that's how my pups are fed too!  I wouldn't be cutting out a feed just yet.

Offline Pam501

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:28:23 PM »
Thanks Jane - yes I did get a feeding sheet but because he wasn't so interested in his last feed of the day I wondered if I should drop it altogether.  Plus the breeder told me to give him a handful of dried food (previously soaked) for each feed but I think it all depends how big your hands are :-\ as to how much he should be having.  Sorry another question - when should I stop soaking his food?

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
My puppies are now 13 weeks and I have cut them down to 3 meals a day. The reason for this was they they were very disinterested in their late afternoon meal so I have done away with it completely. I am a firm believer in letting puppies eat what they want, in my experience puppies need all the nutrients they can get in the early stages and none of mine are overweight.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »
Thanks Jane - yes I did get a feeding sheet but because he wasn't so interested in his last feed of the day I wondered if I should drop it altogether.  Plus the breeder told me to give him a handful of dried food (previously soaked) for each feed but I think it all depends how big your hands are :-\ as to how much he should be having.  Sorry another question - when should I stop soaking his food?

Yes handfuls do vary quite a bit :D My OH always gives our pups too much because his hands are bigger than mine :005: As to when to stop soaking, according to preference really - some pups like their food crunchy at this age and some don't & will still prefer soaked kibble. Try one meal without pre-soaking and see how it goes :D
Jane

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »
Penny's been on three meals a day since about 14 weeks. She just wouldn't eat the final meal at bed-time, having been asleep most of the evening. She does, however, have a 'little extra' at dishwasher-filling time, which is her favourite meal ever, even though it's usually just a lick and if she's lucky a few choice leftovers!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline penfold

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:09:42 PM »
Penny's been on three meals a day since about 14 weeks. She just wouldn't eat the final meal at bed-time, having been asleep most of the evening. She does, however, have a 'little extra' at dishwasher-filling time, which is her favourite meal ever, even though it's usually just a lick and if she's lucky a few choice leftovers!

lol...yes my lot will line up at dishwasher filling time as well....think they consider it very worrying that any especially tasty morsels may go to waste  :lol2:

Offline JazzyJasmine

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 10:36:30 AM »
How funny I thought it was only Jasmine who did this, she even tries to climb into the dishwasher lol  :005: :005: :005:

Offline Flickabella1

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
Oh yes in the dishwasher is beaus favourite!  :005:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »
I do 4 meals until 4 mths, 3 meals until until 8mths then twice a day thereafter.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
Clover never ate 4 full meals from the time I brought her home at 8 weeks of age, so I cut her down to three meals (correct amount of food but divided into three meals instead of four) at around 12 weeks, possibly a little before. That seemed to suit her a lot better. I think it all depends on the pup.  Royal Canin's Medium Junior feeding guide says three meals a day from 2 months to 5 months!
To know them is to love them.....

Offline Pam501

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »
Thanks again for all your advice.  I suppose at the end of the day it sounds as if it depends on the individual pup.  Toby seems to be able to eat for England  :005:.

Pam

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
Mollys 16 weeks and on three, she's been on this for a while now.