Author Topic: Grass And Urine  (Read 2202 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Grass And Urine
« on: March 02, 2005, 06:08:46 PM »
B) I have noticed that where Finley does his wee's the grass is yellow and drying - I thought that bitches urine killed the grass - does dog urine do the same - I am very curious?  or is it because he still is a puppy? can anyone enlighten me on this.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Grass And Urine
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 06:18:53 PM »
My two (both dogs) wee in the garden and have killed off the grass so it's not just a bitch thing, I have little patches everywhere  :rolleyes:
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Rhona

• Site Member
Grass And Urine
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 06:25:35 PM »
I read somewhere (so don't know if it is true or not and have never tried this) that if you put a small quantity of tomato juice in the dog's food then this will stop the grass from dying off.   I have always meant to add a post asking if anyone else has heard this and if it works or not.  

Rhona and Sam

Offline wendy

• Site Member
Grass And Urine
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 06:27:11 PM »
Thats interesting my other two dogs that I had (Golden retriever and Golden Cocker) never did this to the grass, however they had been castrated - I wonder if this makes any difference.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
Grass And Urine
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 06:32:35 PM »
:angry: my grass is also yellow in places was wondering what would stop it, we also have a big crater in the middle now!!!!! :angry:
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Grass And Urine
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 06:35:56 PM »
Our bitches stain the grass also, I'm sure I've read somewhere about tomato sauce also I think bicarbonate soda added to drinking water is supposed to stop urine burns on grass.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

scoobie

Grass And Urine
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 06:54:28 PM »
Wendy
Scoobie has been castrated and my grass is still  covered in yellow patches ;)

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Grass And Urine
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 07:05:37 PM »
you can buy supplements (link below) that is meant to stop this - I personally haven't tried them though.  Another tip is to pour water over the area after the dog has urinated to dilute it  - I don't do this either  :rolleyes: and yes my grass is stained  :ph34r:   :D

Greenums

For us the grass improved after leg cocking started as Brogan moved from the grass to the shrub next to the garage - then Bailey came along and used the grass  again :lol:
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Grass And Urine
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 09:41:25 PM »
I would have thought Bicarb might have some unwelcome side effects, and would use with caution.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Grass And Urine
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 10:59:04 PM »
B) I have noticed that where Finley does his wee's the grass is yellow and drying - I thought that bitches urine killed the grass - does dog urine do the same - I am very curious?  or is it because he still is a puppy? can anyone enlighten me on this.

Wendy
[snapback]103303[/snapback]

Grass? Whats that? :unsure:

Once upon a time, before the days of Alfie, we had a beautiful lawn, hubby spent a fortune and his free time on it, then along came Alfie. First we got yellow patches, then dead patches, then holes, followed by craters. We now have a mud bath  :lol:  :lol:

I think the theory about bitches killing the grass rather then dogs is that bitches always squat whereas males (hopefully) learn to cock and prefer to use a post or fence so dont use the lawn so much

Caroline and Alfie

Offline wendy

• Site Member
Grass And Urine
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 07:35:43 AM »
You are probably right Caroline, however Finley still does not cock his leg the other boys in his litter do (just me to get a slow developer).  Saying that he still does not wee and poo outside the garden, we go for a walk and he waits until we get back.  Does anyone else's dog/bitch do this?  Must have some strong muscles to hold on that long - wish I could.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Grass And Urine
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 08:44:05 AM »
We have solved this problem!

Dig up the grass and replace it with gravel! Problem sorted!!!!! (we do still have a grass section but it is safely hidden behind a fence!

Clare x  :D  :D
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Grass And Urine
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 09:18:19 AM »
We have solved this problem!

Dig up the grass and replace it with gravel! Problem sorted!!!!! (we do still have a grass section but it is safely hidden behind a fence!

Clare x  :D  :D
[snapback]103397[/snapback]

Great idea, except our garden is all paved and gravel (it was like this when we bought it but the open coutryside the other side of the house makes up for it) and I'm a bit concerned that Buddy appears to be eating the gravel. Guess it's some kind of roughage!! Actually not sure he swallows it, but he certainly chews.   :P  

Does this happen in your garden, Clare?

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Grass And Urine
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 09:26:48 AM »
Does this happen in your garden, Clare?
[snapback]103405[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well Fern won't eat it unless it was cooked! and the others don't fancy it as my other half has sprayed it with Jeys fluid to stop it smelling! :)
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Grass And Urine
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 03:31:34 PM »
I'm a bit concerned that Buddy appears to be eating the gravel. Guess it's some kind of roughage!! Actually not sure he swallows it, but he certainly chews. 
My two both did this as pups but grew out of it, thank goodness - I was always fishing it out of their mouths!!   :rolleyes:   Don't know if its something to do with them teething?  :blink:

Big hug for Buddy x

Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"