Author Topic: When to move from 3 feeds a day to 2 feeds?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
When to move from 3 feeds a day to 2 feeds?
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
Pippa is 8months now and on Burns adult food.

She is till having puppy quantities though (so the 20g per KG body weight instead of 10g per kg it recommends for adults) and 3 meals a day - when should we cut this down/reduce to 2 feeds a day?

She isn't anywhere near fat - doesn't keep still long enough! If anything she is prone to being too skinny (OK at the moment)...(Despite regular worming  etc)

Thanks,
Emma

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: When to move from 3 feeds a day to 2 feeds?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:13 PM »
I've always put mine on 2 meals at 6 months.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:19:29 PM »
I'm trying to tell Pippa that its time to go to 2 meals - but incessant barking  >:D from 12noon until I give in is weakening my resolve...

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »
Are you increasing her other meals to compensate?  I know a lot of dogs do well on it but Burns really didn't suit my dogs - they were always ravenously hungry and lost body condition.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
The new plan is that we are decreasing the midday meal (so that she doesn't miss it so much) and increasing the other two.

Ended up on Burns as it was available locally and seemed good quality (and didn't give her the stinky farts and general room clearing odour the stuff she was on before we got her did).

Her coat shines lovely and once fed she settles down, but she has never been known to refuse food!

I have thought about trying her on Skinners instead but its not as easily available here.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
I would second what Jay says about Burns not suiting a lot of dogs; it's a good food and some dogs do fine on it but I tried it for mine years ago and had to take them off it pretty quickly as they lost so much condition, the weight fell off them and they were starving. A lot of dogs go through a bit of a skinny/lanky adolescent stage but if you're feeding her double the recommended amount and she's still skinny it may be that it just doesn't suit her.

I would also go down to 2 meals at 6 months old.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »
Skinners looks to be cheaper too so may be worth the extra drive to get some.

Will see if I can get a small amount to try first off before a big 15kg bag. She's not fussy and will eat anything so no worries there - just don't want to be gassed again!

Offline max2011

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »
Max(7months) is still on 3 meals. I tried cutting lunch out and increasing other meals but he was starving and it upset his tummy so I have gone back to 3. Max is slim so not worried about it and will carry on until I think he is ready to drop lunch.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »
Penny's been on two meals since 7 months. She's on Burns too and she'spretty skinny. She won't eat more kibble so I'm trying supplementing with some wet food. We'll see how it goes.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:58:47 PM »
Jinley is 6 months old and on 3 meals a day.  I have found though that she does not eat her evening meal straight away but picks at it for a couple of hours.

I might start giving her lunch later in the afternoon, and let her eat at her own pace.

Pat

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
I swap to 2 meals per day as soon as they turn 8 mths. Then its 2 meals a day for life.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Uli

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »
Paula is three years already and I still feed her three times a day. I do not see any advantage in feeding her only twice a day, so I won't change.
No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich! (Louis Sabin)

Offline Kaz

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
Quick question, any thoughts on always feeding 3x a day ? Or is is better to move over to 2 meals a day? I'm happy to do whatever is best for dog but just wondered really. Thx

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »
Well - we've been cutting down the lunch feed and increasing the others and today it is twenty past two and she still hasn't asked for lunch so haven't given her any. Mind you DH has been away for a few days so instead of breakfast at 6:30am she is having it after 7:30 with DD gets up.

Would like her on two feeds a day ideally as it will be easier than taking food out with us when we go out for the day.

Offline max2011

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »
I have also just started cutting Max down to 2 meals this week as he is now 8 months. He wont eat anything before his morning walk at 9.15 so he is having one meal at around 10 and the other at 5. He has 120g per meal. I have also been giving him a stuffed kong (banana and yog) when I have my lunch and so far this seems to be working. He does however also have a chew (paddywack, pigs ear, oxtail for example) in the evenings and a cut up hotdog during the day when I do training sessions.