Author Topic: Is this a cocker thing?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Is this a cocker thing?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
Not when they are pups!
They need to be a bit bigger
and more confident on their
feets to tackle stairs, hence
babygates ;)
steffxxx

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »
aaaaah thats so cute!! Im new to all this as im eagerly awaiting the arrival of our little bundle on 5th july (im going on holiday first which you would think I should be looking forward to but want to get it out the way!!) sorry to but in, but if they like to follow do you all let them upstairs too?

Yup - when you get your pup they might not be able to go up or down the stairs - Charlie could get up but he couldn't get down so if we were out and he was upstairs he was stuck and puppy pad-less. So I invested in a baby gate - it depends if you want to crate or not. Doors are closed of certain rooms (the bathroom when we are out - as he likes the toilet roll), the spare room - no reason really and the other spare room as it has the computer and I dread to think of him chewing wires and getting hurt).
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Clare B

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
Yes wherever I am there's my little furry waddler at my feet, she especially loves barging in when I'm in the loo and paws up on my knees to give me a big slobbery kiss.... " got you where you can't move, no one else to give attention to but me, here's my kiss"

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »
aaaaah thats so cute!! Im new to all this as im eagerly awaiting the arrival of our little bundle on 5th july (im going on holiday first which you would think I should be looking forward to but want to get it out the way!!) sorry to but in, but if they like to follow do you all let them upstairs too?

We have a stair gate on our sitting room door, he can only have access to the stairs if we let him.
Its so funny watching him hop up the stairs like a bunny rabbit  :005: I wouldnt trust him going up if no one was behind him,
He cant come down, hasnt attempted it, he just sits and barks and I have to carry him down.

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »
Aww bless. Charlie can't bark yet (well I say that, he did bark the other day), he's still not barked properly put it that way. Charlie never went upstairs without company, I always carried him up and down. But them he discovered he could do it himself and still doesn't go unless he has company. He doesn't need to bark, I've developed a 6th sense so know what he wants without him needing to make a peep.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »
Aww bless. Charlie can't bark yet (well I say that, he did bark the other day), he's still not barked properly put it that way. Charlie never went upstairs without company, I always carried him up and down. But them he discovered he could do it himself and still doesn't go unless he has company. He doesn't need to bark, I've developed a 6th sense so know what he wants without him needing to make a peep.

Wow, Charlie is a quiet one then, Riley has tested his bark out a few times lol,
Earlier today he heard a dog bark in a garden a few doors away so he thought he would bark too, albeit a much quieter bark ;)

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »
Aww, I've not heard a puppy bark  :luv:. Charlie had barked but its been as loud a sigh. Although his bark this week was still very quiet but it sounded like he had a sore throat lol

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
Aww, I've not heard a puppy bark  :luv:. Charlie had barked but its been as loud a sigh. Although his bark this week was still very quiet but it sounded like he had a sore throat lol

When we had our springer when I was a child we had him for weeks before he barked, we thought he might not be able to bark, then one day all of a sudden,
Must admit I never really noticed when Riley had his first bark. He doesnt do it often and it is quite mild atm.

Offline Tiger

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »
I'm so glad you're asking this as Monty is doing exactly the same thing. If I don't lock the crate he will just keep getting up and following me around then as soon as I stand still he flops with his head on my feet and is instantly asleep  :005:

In fact he will whine for only a few seconds if I leave him in the crate and he can't see me but if I'm in eyeline the whining won't stop until I go out of the room.  Is this happening with you too?

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
Grace will follow me every where the other day i was kneeling down messing with the tv the next min Grace was lying across the back of my legs  :005:
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
I'm so glad you're asking this as Monty is doing exactly the same thing. If I don't lock the crate he will just keep getting up and following me around then as soon as I stand still he flops with his head on my feet and is instantly asleep  :005:

In fact he will whine for only a few seconds if I leave him in the crate and he can't see me but if I'm in eyeline the whining won't stop until I go out of the room.  Is this happening with you too?

Exactly same ,if we are in sight then he has to be with us, as you say if however say I go upstairs he soln stops . monty is so cute.

Offline betty pops

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »
oh my lord betty does this! she flops at my feet if i get up and move seats she gets up follows me and flops again  :lol: today I knelt on the floor to put my sons shoes on and betty laid across the backs of my legs and went to sleep  :005:

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »
oh my lord betty does this! she flops at my feet if i get up and move seats she gets up follows me and flops again  :lol: today I knelt on the floor to put my sons shoes on and betty laid across the backs of my legs and went to sleep  :005:
Aww thats so cute:)

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 10:02:51 PM »

When we had our springer when I was a child we had him for weeks before he barked, we thought he might not be able to bark, then one day all of a sudden,
Must admit I never really noticed when Riley had his first bark. He doesnt do it often and it is quite mild atm.

I wasn't sure Charlie could bark until Wednesday, he's 10 month old. I'm still not sure he can do it properly :005:

Offline black taz

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »
not just a cocker trait, i would say out of the three dogs i have owned since getting married, Taz is the one most unlikely to follow me anyway, although he does when we are getting ready to go out.

My collie cross never left my side when we were together, and Kira (lab) is very much the same, so basically i have not managed to go to the toilet at home alone for around 16 years, feels quite strange going loo anywhere else and not having company :005: :005: