Author Topic: He's here!  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Honormum

Re: He's here!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »
Thanks Snoo.

With our lab (who is now 11), we crated her in our bedroom at first and then gradually moved her to the landing, then down stairs. After the first few weeks, she was fine and easy (as I recall...but maybe puppies are like childbirth - you forget the bad bits!)

Like you, upstairs is for our 3 cats, so we want Teddy to get used to sleeping downstairs with Bea eventually.

He just seems SO tiny right now, I feel a bit mean leaving him on his own tonight.

I like the idea of an old t-shirt in with him, and we have a snuggle pad that you warm in the microwave so maybe that will help.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
Jem slept at the side of my bed in a cardboard box from the first night. If she whimpered, I put my hand out, stroked her briefly and told her 'bedtime'.
She still sleeps there now and that is as we want it.

I think some people have pup in their room for the first couple of nights, then move them downstairs. I personally feel pup has had a very unsettling day and it is nice to be able to reassure them. Others will feel different, and in the end it is your choice.

Hope you get some sleep!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Honormum

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »
I'm thinking a cardboard box by the bed sounds good for tonight at least.

Does it need to be one he can't get out of? Do we take pot luck on whether the whines are separation anxiety or wanting  a wee/poo?

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Ours was deep enough that Jem couldn't get out. You could just use a crate in your room too.

Difficult to say on the cries. I'd say if he settles down again quickly, leave him. If not, pop him outside. Don't make a big fuss or talk much, then put him straight back in bed. You may well have a few restless nights but don't worry, it will get better ;)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 10:49:56 PM »
Hope all goes well tonight! I'll be in the same boat in a few weeks. Would be great to hear regular updates  :D

Offline Honormum

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »
Hope all goes well tonight! I'll be in the same boat in a few weeks. Would be great to hear regular updates  :D

Thank you!

I have to say, Teddy seems like a very easy-going puppy so far...it's only us stressing!
He's currently asleep in the kitchen, draped over my husband's trainers by the back door. :luv:

He was so good in the car, really great. Since coming home, he's met our cats, our chickens, our big dog, our children and 2 other children and been completely happy. :luv:

He's had a couple of wees in the kitchen (our fault for not watching for signs), and a couple of were and a poo in the garden. :D

Despite my anxiety about everything, I think he's going to be a cracking little dog. :D :D :D

Offline CherryT

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
He sounds gorgeous! and it does sound like he has had a good first day - lots of new experiences so hopefully he will sleep well tonight!

Offline Bibby

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 12:30:16 AM »
Hope your lovely little man is settling in well and still being good :blink:
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline Honormum

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 08:56:02 AM »
*whispers*  He's still doing great!  :D :D :D

Second night - 4.15am and then sometime after 7.30am.

Last night - same again. :D

Housetraining is going ok - a few wees in the house, when he's played with the children and we haven't been quick enough. No poos inside at all. :D

He is such a happy puppy - his breeder described the breed as "merry" which is a perfect description!

We love Teddy. :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline Richantsmith86

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »
Fantastic, very happy for you! We need to see Teddy!

Offline Honormum

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
I've taken a few photos but our laptop is being repaired and I can't (don't know how to!) upload them to my netbook.  :huh:

I managed to upload a couple from my phone onto my FB profile, and all my friends have been cooing over him. :005:

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
I've taken a few photos but our laptop is being repaired and I can't (don't know how to!) upload them to my netbook.  :huh:

I managed to upload a couple from my phone onto my FB profile, and all my friends have been cooing over him. :005:

Put a link on here to the FB page where you posted the photos and we'll be able to see them.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »
Can't wait to see Teddy.  What a great name.  Who chose it?

Hope he is continuing to settle in well.  Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Honormum

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »

Put a link on here to the FB page where you posted the photos and we'll be able to see them.

Can you tell me how to copy and paste using a netbook please?

Offline Honormum

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Can't wait to see Teddy.  What a great name.  Who chose it?

Hope he is continuing to settle in well.  Xx

Thank you - I chose it. :D

Names are really important to me, and I wanted something that went with our other pet names - Beatrice, Bailey, Bronte, Purdey, Katya, Gretel and Isolde. (Labrador, cats and chickens!)

We talked about calling him Henry...which led to kings' names...which led to Edward and then Teddy.
We've always called our lab Bea big brown bear, so now we have Bea Bear and Teddy Bear  :luv: :005: