Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Is this normal?
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »
It has been nearly two weeks since I lost my prescious Rosie. I now have this yearning in the pit of my stomache, and all I want is a dog. I know I want Rosie back, but that isnt possible!! Over the last couple of days I have been "stalking" puppy web sites looking for an exact copy of Rosie. Has anyone else suffered like this? I feel I am becoming obsessed!!
I know I will get another dog eventually, but is it too soon to start looking?
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
Awwww Wendy this is perfectly normal  :luv: after I lost my Pebbles last year I was inconsolable  :'( I too longed for another dog but I felt so guilty even just looking. I knew that Pebbles wouldn't have wanted me to be sad forever  :luv: so after about 8 to 10 weeks after she had left me I got Phoebe and then Mia  :luv: they haven't replaced either poppy or pebbles BUT they have helped heal a wound that I thought wouldn't heal IYSWIM?? I can now smile and even laugh when I think about my rainbow girls instead of crying  :luv:.
Only you will know if the time is right Hun  :luv: you can look  and I'm sure you will know when you have found another little dog to fill your heart with joy again  :luv: take care love Dianne x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:04:40 PM »
I lost Jessie in August and find it helps to look at COL photos and at puppies for sale on reputable sites.  BUT I felt strongly that I needed to grieve for her and move on from that before getting another puppy.  I think it will be about a 6 month break between them which is a long time but I felt it would be unfair to a new puppy which couldn't hope to be a replacement for Jessie.  The naughtiness of a new puppy would be too hard to cope with whilst suffering from grief.

But yes, it is normal I think to do what you are doing - it is just another way of coping with loss.  Do give yourself time to get over the loss of Rosie though before you actually bring another dog home so you can learn to love it for itself and accept it as a different dog.

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »
You poor thing. I would imagine it is very normal. We lasted 3 and a half months after losing our first dog before we got Ruby. Other people leave it longer, and others get a new dog much sooner. You should do whatever feels right to you. Just make sure you aren't looking to get another Rosie because, sadly, you can't. But what you can do is have another dog and get to know them in their own right. They will have their own personality and you will grow to love them just as you did with your precious Rosie. We actually found that when we got Ruby, it revived lots of memories of Cassie and we enjoyed talking about her often :bigarmhug:
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline aqualiv

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:13:07 PM »
Very normal, I was the same after we lost Sophie. Looking back we got izzy far too soon and as a result I took a long time to bond with her. Hold off as long as you can.
Cocker Spaniels are like beer...you have one ...then another...then another...then another...!

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »
Wendy

Its perfectly normal.

After I lost Danny, in May, I got Brodie, a rescue the next day.

Sadly, it didn't work out for us and after I had taken him back I went on the internet and found a KC breeder who had cocker pups and got Dennis as a mate for Minnie and I.

We are complete again.

I never stop thinking about Danny and Brodie though

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »
My two are my first dogs so haven't experienced what you are feeling. I would though honestly say that each and every one is different and that there is no right or wrong way to be feeling, no right or wrong things to be doing and definitely no normal in this situation. It is testament to the relationship that you had with Rosie that you are thinking about another dog. To do it over again it must have been special and who wouldn't want special again it is bound to be different but still special.

You will know when the time is right as you will look at a litter of pups and not be able to stop yourself picking up the phone to make enquiries when that time comes I would go with the flow and let a new pup experience all that love you have to give.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
I think you should go with the way you feel. Nothing will replace Rosie - she was unique and has her unique place in your heart. The act of looking for a new dog can give you another focus which can aid the grieving process.

After I lost Jess I knew I wanted another cocker, but she had to be different, so I didn't feel I was trying to replicate or replace Jess. We got Penny three months after we lost Jess and she has become my obsession and my joy. I still think about Jess every day but I can do it now without tears.

One day soon you will find the right little fur-baby to help heal that hole in your heart.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
Go with your heart, and if your heart says to start looking for a puppy then start looking. You may find that once you start to look you'll decide to wait a bit longer anyway, but you might equally feel that the time is now. There is no right or wrong amount of time in this situation, just whatever feels right for you.

No dog will ever replace Rosie or be exactly like her, but your new dog, when ever he or she comes along, will make a new bond all of it's own with you as get to know each other.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »
Go with your heart, and if your heart says to start looking for a puppy then start looking. You may find that once you start to look you'll decide to wait a bit longer anyway, but you might equally feel that the time is now. There is no right or wrong amount of time in this situation, just whatever feels right for you.

No dog will ever replace Rosie or be exactly like her, but your new dog, when ever he or she comes along, will make a new bond all of it's own with you as get to know each other.
Elaine has said everything I was thinking.... go with your heart Wendy  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »
When we lost our last cocker, Sophie, I was inconsolable.  The morning after she died I was breaking my heart in bed and OH was going to work.  He told me I had to get up and start looking for another puppy.  I said no way, I could never love another dog the way I had loved Sophie.  OH, by the way, never wanted a dog and it took me 7 years to persuade him to have Sophie and now it was him who was saying we had to have another one as soon as possible.  I did drag myself out of bed and in those days we didn't have a computer so I drove to the nearest town and found an internet place.  What I must have looked like I cannot think as I was looking at cocker spaniels on the internet with tears pouring down my face surrounded by other people looking at other things on computers.

Once I started looking for a puppy I carried on.  I kept ringing breeders who had either no puppies or who had puppies who were all sold, but they all gave me someone else's number to ring.  In all I must have rung about 70 people.  Then, 9 days after we lost Sophie, I found the most wonderful breeder who's puppies were being born as we spoke.  She interrogated the life out of me but eventually said I could have a puppy, subject to her meeting us when the puppies were 5 weeks old.  And so came Ellie.

For us it was the right thing to do to look for another puppy straight away.  Obviously we had to wait 8 weeks until we could bring Ellie home, but the thought of bringing her home was the only thing that kept us going.  Now I always tell people who have lost a dog that the only way to get over them is to get another one to love.  As a lovely lady near me said when I told her I could never get another dog as I couldn't love one as much as I did Sophie 'you will love another one, you will just love it differently'.  And that is so true.  I will admit that the day we brought Ellie home I sat with her on my knee and felt the most intense guilt that I had replaced Sophie.  By day 2 Ellie was locked in my heart, just as Sophie had been and is.  

Everyone is different.  A girl at work waited 2 years before she got another dog, but when she did she regretted waiting those 2 years as she realised how much she had missed the love of a dog and really regretted wasting that time.  I once met a couple out walking with their jack russell.  They told me that he was rescue dog and that when they had had to have their last dog put to sleep they drove home and couldn't face going into the house without a dog being there.  They didn't go in the house, they drove straight to a rescue centre and brought their jack russell home.  It wouldn't work for everyone, but it worked for them.

It is 8 years since we lost Sophie, I still love her so intensely and deeply it is beyond words, and I love Ellie so intensely and deeply it is beyond words.  Just somehow, and I don't know how, I love them  differently.

My advice would be to get another puppy.  It won't be Rosie, and you will never stop loving Rosie, but you will love your new baby.  Trust me.

One thing I would say is that Sophie was a blue roan and I wanted an identical  blue roan, just like Sophie.  Ellie's litter had blue roans and orange roans.  When I told her breeder that I wanted a blue roan just like Sophie, she tried to persuade me to have an orange roan because she felt I might compare the new puppy with Sophie.  I was adamant that it was to be a blue roan.  We were the first to choose a puppy from the litter and the very clever breeder wouldn't give us directions to her house, which was 3 hours away, but made us ring her when we got to the village where she lived.  She then met us with one of her beautiful orange roan cockers and that was that.  The puppy was to be orange roan from that moment and it was entirely the right thing for me.  Do you think it might be better to maybe have another colour other than golden this time.  It is entirely up to you of course, but it was definitely the right thing for me.

Thinking of you and hoping for you that it will not be long before you have a new puppy to love.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »
Its a hard one....

I lost our last dog over 15 years ago when I still lived at home. At the time I would have loved another dog, my father talked me out of it and I guess itwas right at that time. When me and OH decided on a dog I would have really liked another cavvy. OH said he wanted a working cocker.

We have a lady that had two show type cockers living close by one was about 13 and the other 8. The 13 year old became frail recently. I then saw her a few weeks back and she didnt have either dog with her and instead she had a pup. She told me she had lost her two cockers within 2 weeks of each other and that the pup was hers. She was telling me she felt she had got the dog too soon and she was struggling to bond with it, she was considering re homing her.  :'( I saw her agian the other day and she was still saying she couldnt bond with the pup.  :'(

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
when our theakston died, that was it as far as i was concerned. i never wanted another staffie because comparing them to him would be to much to cope with. two more staffs later,i can say each dog is a individual, each different in their own way. Yes I'd love to have theakston back (been near 15 years now,he was my shadow, my best friend. I still even now, cry for him),butnot at the expense of my later staffs (even though I have ended up with the biggest whinge bag ever)
 It will be the same with Gemma. Irreplaceable in our eyes, but there will be more
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »
I lost both my previous cockers to cancer. I had a while between diagnosis and actually losing them to get "used" to the fact that they would be gone. I guess the shock of diagnosis was the start of my grieving process and so with both I didn't wait at all to get my next little pup. After my first cocker was diagnosed I found a breeder I liked before he died. As devastated as i was to say goodbye to my beautiful boy, I rang the day he was pts just to go on her waiting list. But, she had a litter with one boy left. I went to see him and bought him home the very next day.  :o we bonded immediately and I was utterly heartbroken when I lost him. When he was diagnosed I didn't see any reason not to do the same thing. I had to wait two weeks before I picked up Archie but it has not been plain sailing. I posted on here that I was struggling to bond with him. Just over a year later I love him to bits but I don't think we will ever have quite the same connection as I had with my previous two. I'm not really sure why and I can't quite put my finger on what's different. I don't think it has anything to do with not waiting.
I agree that you will know in your heart when the time is right.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:21 AM »
We lost our first blue roan cocker spaniel to chronic kidney failure 3 years ago and like Archie Bean, the grieving process subconsciously started from when he was diagnosed 18mths before he passed away. We ended up looking online the day after he was PTS, it seemed the only way we could have anything to look forward to such was our loss. We got Alfie 2 weeks later - he is a show boy, where Jake had been a working cocker, both completely different but adorable. It was the best thing for us, as others have said, go with your gut instinct for what's best for you at this time.