Author Topic: Hello from another newbie!!  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: Hello from another newbie!!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 06:42:23 PM »
Me too. I have not had to face this with a dog yet (apart from the one we had as a child, but I was living away when her time came), but I did go through this with my old cat and I cried and cried.

It is so hard but it really is the last loving thing you can do for a pet and I am sure that if they could thank us they would.

Do keep posting on here, you will get so much support as you go through this awful time.

If it's not too hard, we would love to see a photo of your very special old gent.

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 06:45:04 PM »
Hi Sarah and Welcome to COL.

I read your post and now v.leaky eyed! Badger sounds like such a wonderful dog.  :luv:

- Holly -

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 06:58:44 PM »
I just want to echo all the words of support that others have posted and send lots of hugs for you and your amazing boy ((( :-*)))

Yep us too.....  Badger sounds like the most perfect dog.

Amanda & Poppy x

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
Hello Sarah and welcome.

Your boy Badger sounds like a real honey and a great friend to you and your family.

I am so sorry you are now facing this difficult time, sadly it is part of the painful process of having our beloved pets. I'm sure you will know when it is time to say goodbye. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make when I had to say goodbye to  my girl just over a year ago but, I had to let her go with her dignity, and now we are preparing to say goodbye to our cat in the coming weeks or possibly months.

We too had the vet come to the house, I wouldn't have had it any other way. It was very peaceful and she was surrounded by her family who all loved her very much. It also gave us time to say our goodbyes in privacy.

You will have many years of wonderful memories of Badger to share with your family, and take comfort in having given him a very loving home throughout his life.

Thinking of you and sending you both big hugz

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »
Welcome to COL Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear about Badger he sounds a fantastic boy. I have tears streaming as well reading both yours and the other posts :'(
It's all been said,  :luv: Thinking of you all  :'(

:luv:   take careJan x and Flo x

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 09:58:27 PM »
Welcome to COL, Sarah; I was so sorry reading your post about Badger.

It's a dreadful decision to have to make; I understand how you are feeling as our 3 previous dogs have had to be helped by us on their final journey when their time came. :'(

Thinking of you & your family.
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline shazandy

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »
Hi

Sorry to hear about Badger.  How is he doing to today?  I know it is not the same but I had mt cat put to sleep about 6 weeks ago and I know the decision isn't easy, but I agree that at home is the best way for him.  Both you and Badger will hopefully feel more at ease and it will be less stressful for him in his own suroundings - hopefully the decision will not be have to made.  I prayed for the morning that I would come down and find Charlie at rest.

Love to you both xx :luv:

Offline mezzamo

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 10:27:30 PM »
Hi Sarah,
I am so sorry to hear about Badger he really does sound like a beautiful boy.  I lost my first dog Clover a few years ago and really feel for you at this time. I am thinking of you both.
Mary xxx
Mary, Tony & Romeo XXX

Offline badgeralbert

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 11:40:28 AM »
Thank you everyone for your kind words of support, it really helps, I am so glad I found this forum.

Badger is much the same today, lying in the doorway of the hall and lounge, sometimes he looks peaceful and comfortable and other times he looks like he cant be bothered.  Yesterday when the children came home from school they had some cake and he was following them around sniffing for the crumbs, it was quite comforting to see him doing this!  Something he always has done!

He always knows when I come back from taking the children to school and pre-school and comes with his tail wagging (although not a strong wag but its there).  Today he didnt come to me though, I went to him and told him I was back etc.  I suppose thats the strange thing, I have spoken to him all my life, telling him where I am going, how long I will be and why he couldnt come with me, and the poor little chap cant even hear me now, but I still do it.

Am taking it day by day at the moment, but thanks again for all your kind words.

All of your pups, young and old, look lovely and adorable.

Sarah
x

Offline purdyrose

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 12:59:01 PM »
Hi
I am trying to get my story on the Forum but am having trouble at the mo. I read your letter and I was in the same boat and I want to pour my heart out as well. It's nice to know that there are all those other owners out there and that they possibly understand. I have been told to 'pull myself together' but it's hard. I'm walking around in a trance & can't stop crying.
My lovely 13 year old Chocolate Roan was sadly put to sleep 3 weeks ago and I am totally lost and depressed. I shall try and get my story on the Forum by the end of the week.
My story is similar to yours - she was totally deaf and since Christmas wasn't herself. I dreaded taking her to the vet's because of the outcome but then she would be alright so I didn't take her. She wasn't in any pain but you know somethings not right. She in fact, was going senile which accounted for lots of things.
Anyway, I understand how you feel and my heart goes out to you. Speak to you soon.
Leigh

Offline badgeralbert

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »
Purdyrose-

I am really sorry to hear what you have said.  I know what you must be going through.

You need to post your story on here, I am sure you will feel much better for it.  I was absolutely devastated when i  made my introduction post but I do feel better for it.  It is surprising how much comfort you feel from everyones comments, it makes you feel you are not alone.  I also think it has helped me to write everything down and sort of get it all out, if that makes any sense.

What did the vet say was wrong in the end.  I am sure Badger is going senile too.  He hasnt had a very good day today at all, like you say you know something is not quite right, I will see how he is tomorrow.

I totally understand how you must be feeling, and my heart goes out to you too. Please come back soon.

Sarah
x

Offline KatieJean

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 04:26:48 PM »
Hello Sarah
I can't really add to anything anyone has said but my thoughts are with you. We went through the same last July. We lost 2 cockers within 4 days and I still can't get over the shock. I found this site so comforting and helpful. We got our new cocker Willow 6 days ago and she has bought so much love to us. Don't worry about feeling you are trying to replace a dog they are all individuals and bring their love with them.
Kate x

Offline clovertash

• it's been a hard day at the park
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 04:42:36 PM »
hi,
i'll just share this with you, my mum's 5th dog went through kind of the same as Badger, we kept visiting the vets to see if they could help, but they couldn't, some days Shoez was good some days he would be in pain, this went on for a year, maybe more, then one day he was screaming out like a baby and we just knew, there was no question, it was like he knew to, we'd darted round the issue so many times, but the next day he'd be fine, not this time.  it is so hard but i really believe that you know when you have to do it, enjoy the days you have with Badger now, so when the time comes you will take comfort in knowing his last days with you all were wonderful, i'll be thinking of you x :'(

Offline purdyrose

Re: More information on Purdyrose
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 11:05:22 PM »
Hi Sarah
Sorry for delay, been at work today. Just a quick update-story to follow possibly tomorrow.As I said,she was totally deaf but I noticed that she started walking into things & then stood just waiting by the wall for the door to open, which was the other side of her(hope that makes sense).We just thought she was being stupid & then perhaps,going blind.Towards the end,she  was struggling to swallow and found it hard to chew her food but she still managed to clear her bowl.She then moaned  & groaned & I thought she must have tummy ache.She would pace the floor up & down,still moaning & was only quiet when she laid on my feet or in my arms.She would only walk for 5 mins before pulling me home.One day would be bad,one day good.She hated the vet so didn't want to put her through the stress but felt this particular week-end, that I just had to sort it.I rushed the appointment otherwise I would have changed my mind.The vet said she had a lump which could be a tumour & she was going senile.She had no quality of life & that if she was only happy when asleep,then to put her to sleep. To Continue........
Leigh

Offline purdyrose

Re:Continuation of story
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 11:16:19 PM »
Hi Sarah
The vet said it wouldn't matter how many lumps she found or how many tests she did-my baby was senile and it would be best.I couldn't think about it,I agreed but decided I couldn't wait with her(which I regret now).I gave her a kiss & walked out & waited outside.I am annoyed with myself now that I didn,t stay & I wished I had walked in and stopped it but I knew I had to do it.I went in to her immediately & she looked so at rest-just like a puppy.I spoke & cuddled her and paid for a cremation.By the end of the day,I had to phone to say that I wanted her home to go into the garden which she loved dearly.We collected her & laid her in my conservatory and I laid with her.I couldn't see her for tears-she looked so peaceful.I wrapped her in her 'Fifi' blanket,put her head on her favourite pillow and put her cuddly toy dog in her arms.We wrapped her up warm as it started to snow that day.She's in the garden now,still with us in spirit.I still sense her on my feet & up against my leg-I say hello to her everyday but I am so lost without her.As we never had a holiday for years co's of her,were going away soon & then get another cocker.
Leigh