Author Topic: Hello from another newbie!!  (Read 3782 times)

Offline purdyrose

Re: End of story
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 11:22:08 PM »
Final part Sarah
My pain is so great but this site will be great for you & myself and as I can see, all the others that have felt this pain & going through the same situation.
I know my Purdyrose was really loved & that she knew we loved her and I'm sure she happy now she's out of her anguish.
I wonder how your coping today and how things are. I do hope your little one is not too bad today...let me know. I will be at home all day tomorrow and will keep lines open in case you feel like a chat.
Take care & chin up
Leigh

Offline emilymae

• Sue and Emily-Mae
Re: Hello from another newbie!!
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 08:26:30 AM »
Purdy Rose,
I have been crying again reading your post.   I know exactly how you and Sarah feel.  After you've had your holiday, I really would urge you to get a puppy or a rescue dog.  They really do help ease the pain.   Emily has given us so much joy, and keeps us on our toes, puppies are so different  to adult dogs so beware  :blink:  hope you and Sarah have a good day today.  :blink:
Tilly. Forever remembered

Offline purdyrose

Puppy or Rescue?
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:43 AM »
Morning
I'm sorry that I made you cry.I'm going in the garden today so hope I can get thru the gardening without balling my eyes out.Yes I will book the holiday up asap as my hubby said we must have this first.I'm hearing so many different stories: solid colours are more likely to bite-the cocker needs loads & loads of walks.What do you know? Purdy was so good I know a puppy will chew & mess for a while.Purdy made our house smell terrible cos of her ears but she was an old lady & you suffer that - I used to make out I couldn't smell her.All the rescue dogs seem to go so quick.We will get one or the other,I've been promised & I look every day on the computer.I know I shouldn't yet but I'm doing all my research so that we make the right choice.I'm worried that a rescue may have traits & problems that we can't cope with.A puppy could be trained to our liking.I can't wait to have another so that I can spoil it & give it all my love - she will be called Rosie.Someone also said to crate a puppy whilst out-is that cruel? Thanks for your time.
Leigh

Offline emilymae

• Sue and Emily-Mae
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 11:01:02 AM »
I don't know that much about cockers, but I had a solid colour for 9 yrs and she never bit anyone.  I think it's more down to breeding than colour.  I wanted a puppy for the same reason,that you could train her to your requirements and start from scratch as it were.  I don't crate so can't give advice on that, but we have managed ok without one, Emily rarely messes in the house and never at night, so I think she's doing ok. Hope you have a good day and get your gardening done.  We are off for a long walk now.  :blink:
Tilly. Forever remembered

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
I think a holiday would be a good thing so its good your doing that and then think about another dog on your return. Its not accurate that solids are more likely to bite and crating while you're out is a really good idea (I do this when they are puppys for about the first year) as long as its for no more than a couple of hours or so. I have 2 cockers (both parti colours) and have had them both from pups so have never rehomed a dog but it is something I would consider seriously in the future, and I also know how tempting it is to keep looking on the internet at the dogs and puppys etc, so that is completely normal and understandable. I looked at so many pups and knew almost instantly when I had found the one for us both times and this will probably be the same for you. If it ticks all the boxes and feels right then it will be right, whether it be a pup or an older dog.
Enjoy your holiday and keep us updated  :blink:  (( :-*)) sending hugs.
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 11:12:37 AM »
A holiday is a great idea and I hope you enjoy it.

On the subject of rescue or puppy - there is no guarantee that getting a puppy will mean that you'll end up with a perfect dog trained exactly how you like.  They can also develop issues.

A rescue dog will have been vetted very carefully by the rescue and they'll tell you any little oddities they have discovered and then you can decide whether or not it's the dog for you.

Whatever you decide has to feel right.

I have 2 Cockers one whose breeder re-homed her at 2yrs because she didn't quite meet the show standard and the other was a rescue with some serious issues.  He has been our biggest challenge yet but the rewards are ten fold.  He'll always be a dog with aggression issues but with the correct management he has a pretty normal life.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline purdyrose

Re: Badger update
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 11:32:38 PM »
Hi Sarah
I sent you a reply but haven't heard anything back. Hope you and Badger are okay.
As you haven't been on the site for a while I was a bit concerned to how things are with him - any news?
We are here if you need to talk.
Chin up & take care
Leigh
Leigh

Offline brightsparkler

• Inactive
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »
know how your feeling , lost my blue roan aged 9 just before christmas,
found this site after and it helped me great deal , i am not usally an emotional person i have lost family members before and not shown much, but when i lost dixon i was a wreak for weeks , he was my boy.
this site will help you and i found the comfort from my other cockers a great help to pull me through.
nothing prepares you as they injected dixon he looked up at me a slaped me a big kiss across my face that made me worst was like he knew and was saying thankyou. Talk to people on here they are good all had same experiances this site is brill and will help you greif.
all the best thinking of you through these hard times and know how you are hurting.
simon

Offline badgeralbert

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2008, 06:54:27 PM »
Wow, thats all got me crying again!

Thanks for your concerns, purdyrose I havent checked my messages yet but I will.  Your post made me smile, my daughters name is Rosie!  I can relate so much to your story, when I took badger to the vets I was absolutely adamant they were not going to do it there and then, the children who worship him were at school, my daughter was with me (also crying but didnt know why) they were my reasons for bringing him home.  The vet would have done it when she said told me his time was up, but because I had this attitude there was no way, my mind was made up when I made the appointment.   I am told by those close to me that I am hanging on to thin threads and putting off the inevitable, I know that.  But he is my dog and when I believe it is time I will do what will be right for him, until I believe it is time nobody will convince me otherwise.

Badger has been fine Wednesday to now, but I did think Wednesday was going to be the day, he was not good the few days beforehand.  He couldnt even get up onto the settee but at this moment he is on there sleeping and the kids are on the floor lol.

I say he has been fine, well, he hasnt been in any pain or shown any discomfort, he still sleeps all day but this morning he was out in the garden in the snow, rolling in it can you believe.  Slowly but he sure was.  We are still taking each day as it comes.

I did ring the cocker spaniel breeders club local to me last week and they put me in touch with a breeder. I rang her to see if she was having any litters later in the year and she was expecting one this week.  She rang me earlier to say she has had them and was just letting me know, they will be ready to view in the middle of May.  I have told her our circumstances and we are under no obligation, I suppose it was a bit sooner than expected but if Badger is still with us we wont be having one.   I feel a bit guilty to him for doing this but after a lot of thought we had decided that we would get another one when the time came.   Another dog wouldnt replace him, no dog ever could, but they are all different and have their own personalities so I am sure we would all love it as much as we love him.  I must admit though, the thought of having a puppy again is scary!

Thank you everyone for your support, it is really nice of you all.