Author Topic: Suitable collar or harness for puppy  (Read 2043 times)

Offline SteveFrancis

• Donator
Suitable collar or harness for puppy
« on: March 29, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »

Keen to get people’s thoughts on the best type of collar or harness for new puppy, in particular:

- Collar or harness? I know that training (rather than a collar/harness) is the best way to avoid pulling; so rather than this being an anti-pulling question, it’s really just a question of which do people think is more comfortable, practical etc?

- Material? Which material is best for the puppy? Is there a trade-off between comfort and durability, or is there a particular material that offers best of both?

- Length & adjustment? Better to go for one that is longer and can be adjusted, or is it more comfortable to get one that has less adjustment? Is it better if the puppy doesn’t keep having to adjust to a new collar?

- What other considerations are there? (Assuming cost will not be a constraint)

I’m not assuming there is a single correct answer, rather I’m just looking for peoples thoughts, opinions and own experiences.

Many thanks,
Steve

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Suitable collar or harness for puppy
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 12:35:49 PM »
A simple adjustable H-, or Y-harness in nylon is perfectly fine for puppies and adults. Like you say, walking without pulling needs to be taught over time by training anyway so for a puppy comfort and safety is key. Really any harness that can be adjusted and that does not restrict movement is good in my opinion. Fabric harnesses are easy to throw in the wash when the puppy inevitably rolls in mud or worse. Adjustable harnesses can be fitted so they are not dangerously loose or need to be replaced as the pup grows. Having a strap between the front legs like with a H or Y harness gives free movement. Not a fan of the harnesses that have a strap across the chest as it can restrict shoulder movement. I have a lovely leather harness, never use it. I find the buckles bothersome to fasten on a wiggly cocker and I don't like having to maintain it to keep the leather soft. The nylon harnesses with snap buckles are the ones I always end up using  :D

Offline SteveFrancis

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »
Thanks Mari

Offline Rollo58

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 07:29:16 AM »
Archie is 9 months old and could pull for England on his collar!
We stumbled across a Halti training harness,quite inexpensive and y shaped at the front and easily drops Ofer his head and under his legs and is adjustable.Its been a revelation.An 80%if not more reduction in pulling allowing training on walks with treats to be concentrated when it matters.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 10:15:06 AM »
A collar is a good idea because it is still the law for a dog to wear an identity tag, and you need somewhere to hang it!  Our dog is walked in a harness, but wears a collar during the day anyway. You can get soft light puppy collars to get them used to it.

Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline SteveFrancis

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 04:43:04 PM »
Thanks @Rollo58 and @Finvarra

Offline juju

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 07:36:01 PM »
Izzy has always worn Ancol nylon collars. In her first two years,  identity tags kept falling off and having to be replaced. She now has a flat metal tag which the collar just slots through. I think they might be called 'agility tags' but I'm not sure. She has had this tag for five or six years.
           Julia

Offline eimeark

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 09:20:56 PM »
We had the same dilemma with our 20 week old puppy and buying a harness. We got a collar for his name/contact details tag which we got him used to in his first weeks with us. We were gifted a strap harness that our puppy put his front paws into that clicked shut on his back however this ended up as a constant battle to try get him into it. After the first few times when he didn't seem to mind he suddenly hated it and would snarl and bite us even with his favourite treats being used to lure him. This would rile him up so much he often refused to go beyond the front door and would plonk down on his bottom. While we researched other harness types and asked dog owners in the locality our main issue was whether to invest in a more expensive one right now as he is definitely going to grow a lot. When the harness battle became too regular we resorted to clipping his leash to his collar and bringing him for a walk however he really resisted walking with the collar and would plonk down stubbornly every 100 metres (great entertainment for our neighbours who are working from home). We eventually invested in a Julius K9 harness 4kg-7kg size as it involved him slipping his head in (reward to lure him in) and then a strap under his belly that clips at the side. This is a padded harness and doesn't seem to irritate him. I can honestly say we haven't looked back. We no longer have bite and scratch marks from trying to get a harness on him and he trots happily along when we bring him for a walk. While we will have to buy another harness to suit him as he gets bigger I would happily buy the Julius one again just a size up as it was worth it to see him actually enjoy heading out the door. The harness is adjustable in 2 ways which is handy too.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 08:20:10 PM »
Perfect Fit harness for Daisy, and we pop a collar on as well purely for her id tag.

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »
Hi,
I had an old style Halti with horizontal chest strap for Salty, but that made him walk funny

So I got a Perfect Fit and its absolutely excellent

If you can go somewhere and get a fitting then best as I used the online fitting instructions and although its nearly correct I had to reorder a smaller front piece (which is a free swap)

I used the original UK site:
https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness.html

and I also found this:
https://peterdobias.com/products/perfect-fit-harness-builder

Salty is 12 kg, Girth 57 cm neck 33 cm, he is 1 year 3 months old, and pretty lithe and athletic

I ordered the 20mm S-S-M (consisting of a Size S Top piece, a Size S Front piece, and a Size M Girth piece) Perfect Fit Harness (53-63cm)

The top and front pieces are adjusted to the smallest adjustment, the girth let out around 1/3,  and its a great fit, except that I should have had the XS front piece since its a bit too loose around the neck. I have an XS front piece coming, and will update how it is when it arrives

Given how hard Salty can pull - I wouldn't go for the 15 mm wide sizes.

Salty really likes to put it on, which is amazing for him and tells me he finds it comfy

Salty is as mad as a box of frogs and pulls like a steam train, but with a double ended lead (actually from Halti - which is excellent) he walks to heel although still with a lot of steering and perseverance.

When we are jogging I have the Halti lead round my waist and the other end only onto the PF harness back ring and in the beginning he pulls me along at MACH 3 but he is still comfy (although with the new smaller front piece it should be even better) and I am getting fitter :)

Although I go early and don't go to far (I say that's for Salty's sake , but also since I am no Olympian) , it can be warm here and there is no overheating due to fleece as its low area, dogs don't loose heat like us sweaty humans and I have felt under the fleece straps immediately after jogging and it was not at all hot there

In summary, I would advise a Perfect Fit with a Halti large double-ended lead -  based on my own limited experience of course

Abraços from Portugal